Chicken amounts for 50

HBMTN

is One Chatty Farker
Reaction score
Hi all, I'm doing a catering jog for 50 guests, we serve buffet style and I have never done just chicken. We usually always do pulled pork and something else if they want a 2nd meat but this is a 1st for chicken only. I am doing legs, thighs and wings. It is a class reunion so I figure people won't eat as much, we will be serving for 1 hour. I am figuring 60 each of thighs wings and drumsticks. What do ya think is that enough?

No Breasts women like them, may be some 5oz boneless skinless. I always figure that 1 and 1/2 pieces per person with out the wings. Wings are always an extra.

If you're not locked into a certain part, consider doing tenders, purchased in bulk. If you find a Rest. Depot or similar, that's the way to go. Tenders are quick, easy and no waste. They absorb flavor like a sponge and won't shrink much. Also easier to calculate amounts by weight. We apply rub, smoke and serve. Easy peasy with smiling faces. Good tasty alternative. Steve.

In this case I would do chicken quarters one 1.4 per person so they get a leg and thigh.. I'll be making 150+ of them and after cooking cutting about a third of them into two sections for those that only want a thigh or leg.

Making three types. Jerk, BBQ (sauced) and regular seasoned.

I went with thighs, legs and wings and had 50 thighs, 72 drum sticks, and 72 wings. This was a 20 year high school class reunion and what happened was people were more in to I guess nerves of seeing old class mates and drinking. So these firgures probably would not work for a family reunion but each person coming through line ate one piece of chicken and some were too busy drinking to even eat. hardly anyone touched the wings, I guess being dressed up they did not want to get deep in to pickin a wing apart. There ended up only being about 40-45 guests and I had half the chicken left over. This was my first class reunion catering gig and if they are all like this then class reunions groups don't eat much. Just thought I would post the results, thanks again.

Back