MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 09-18-2020, 01:23 PM   #1
pharp
Banned

Default American BBQ Showdown Smokers

I have several thoughts on this show, but for the most part it is a fun show. What I have really liked so far are the cookers provided to the contestants.

I am on episode four, and so far they have featured Lang (a lot), Pit Barrel Cooker, BGE, Weber Kettle (in that order in terms of screen time through 4 episodes). Cool seeing such great cookers featured on a show.

I will probably finish it today.
pharp is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-18-2020, 01:33 PM   #2
pharp
Banned

Sorry meant to include "Smokers" in the title to not overlap another thread.
pharp is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-18-2020, 03:50 PM   #3
Ron_L

Name/Nickname : Captain Ron

Quote:
Originally Posted by pharp View Post
Sorry meant to include "Smokers" in the title to not overlap another thread.
I added it.

Naked Fatties Rock!

PKGo X 2/PK360/Weber Q1000/Blackstone Camping Griddle/Pit Boss Pro Series 850
Ron_L is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 09-18-2020, 06:31 PM   #4
Jabba1221
Knows what a fatty is.

I just got done watching the entire series and I thought the same thing just a sheer variety of cooking devices and their application was great to watch
Jabba1221 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-19-2020, 03:04 AM   #5
Chester
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : Chester

Cooking on a Lang..... what’s not to like.
Chester is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-19-2020, 07:00 AM   #6
SmoothBoarBBQ
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Donnie

I've watched the first 3 episodes and the show is OK. I really just don't understand why TV shows in general aren't on board with American BBQ. Why does every show have short cook times, and endless challenges and side dishes? BBQ Pitmasters struck gold with showcasing American BBQ to the masses. Now they want every BBQ show to essentially be a "Grilllin' with Bobby Flay" meets "Chopped / Iron Chef." Silly "mystery box" type ingredients and endless sides and extras just gets old and there's no time left over to actually talk to the contestants about BBQ. It's just these people running around like crazy trying to do 15 things at once.

Something else I'm not a fan of is the different smokers...hear me out. It's incredibly obvious that some of these contestants have never cooked on an offset smoker. That leaves them with an egg and a Pit Barrel cooker...not enough space to cook for 50 people, so they're forced to use the offset. Someone like Tina is a spokesperson for Grilla Grills who make pellet grills and kamados. There's no way she can be on camera using a Big Green Egg and a Traeger...really limits her options.

Again, show is OK, but it feels extremely constrained and limited. It's fun enough but it's extremely "dumbed down" because it doesn't really show case anything. It's another run of the mill cooking show where contestants are running around like headless chickens.

Thanks from:--->