• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Rate my brisket appearance

Bigmista

somebody shut me the fark up.
Reaction score
Here is my latest turn in for brisket for the Viejas contest. How would you score it?

Viejas2008053.jpg

Viejas2008054.jpg

Viejas2008055.jpg

Viejas2008056.jpg

I am still a little green as far as competition goes, that being said it looks great. :-D

Can't score a picture other than on appearance - a 7 or 8 in my mind. Pluses for nice outer crust, smoke ring, general arrangement. A little gloppy on the sauce (makes me wonder if it's dry).

Was it tender? How was the taste?

-ralph
/dev/bbq
CBJ #21235

It's always hard to tell with photos, but I would probably give it a 7 or 8, more likely the 8.

Eric

I'd probably go with a 6 or a 7. The sauce looks uneven and the left side of the pieces in the middle look real dark (which would not be a big deal if all the pieces were the same color) and the right sides look real ragged.

I'd probably go with a 6 or a 7. The sauce looks uneven and the left side of the pieces in the middle look real dark (which would not be a big deal if all the pieces were the same color) and the right sides look real ragged.

Sorry got to go with what he said, 7 at best. So what were the scores?
Dave

I'd give you a 4 or a 5 the gravy is to heavy doesn't look very appealing to me

sorry couldn't resist more like a 6 or 7

Looks pretty good to me. The garnish is nice and not over powering. The left side crust looks a little darker than the right. I like the left side better. Not to crazy about the saucy look. I would say 7 on appearance. I bet that sucker tastes great!

I just ate some. Still tastes good even with no sauce. Here are the scores:

764 856 665 987 888 665

Two 5's and a 4 in tenderness? I have never made a tough brisket in my life. I have overcooked a few and the fell apart but never tough. This on had a little bit of tug before it came apart. A 5 in taste? Everyone who tasted it will argue that one. Even the people who competed against me.

8 for appearance.
As far as your tenderness score, a low number can also signify a brisket that is too tender, right? Low score doesn't always = tough.

I would likely give a 7 or 8 on appearance.... Can't really tell what the ends are like... but they seem to be a little soupy with the sauce. Can't tell if the on side is ragged, or just has a funky shadow from the pic. If it is ragged it would be a 7, if it is clean, an 8.

And while I can appreciate the comments from folks.... the worst stuff I cook, that I wouldnt feed my dog I have had people complement me on. I'm sure yours was great, but as saucy as it was you might have been marked down for over saucing, or for something in your flavor profile the judges there didnt like? Not sure - I wish I could help, I'd love a taste to see what the product was like!

6-7 for app, little bits here and there. second slice is smeared with rub. thats at a 7 second glance....still would like mine to be that nice..

Obviously can't judge the pics other than on appearance. I'd agree with several of the previous answers: a little gloppy looking with the sauce; uneven pieces and placement in box; above average garnish but no where near the 'putting green' surface that seems to be the standard in the Mid West where we compete; 6-7 on appearance. Taste and tenderness are nother subject all together. After 12 comps this year, we pretty much turn in the same brisket; same taste profile; same cooking technique (Lang 60 - hickory - injection and marinade always the same). We've gotten a couple of firsts, many walks and a couple of tanks......taste is so subjective. Were the judges all KCBS? Was there a judging class the day before the contest?

I just ate some. Still tastes good even with no sauce. Here are the scores:

764 856 665 987 888 665

Two 5's and a 4 in tenderness? I have never made a tough brisket in my life. I have overcooked a few and the fell apart but never tough. This on had a little bit of tug before it came apart. A 5 in taste? Everyone who tasted it will argue that one. Even the people who competed against me.

Looks kinda tough to me. Give it a 4. :p

But seriously, this man is unable to make a tough brisket. I've seen him make a 4 year old brisket tender as can be. Wasn't much on taste, but tender, heck ya!

Back