MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Catering, Food Handling and Awareness

Notices

Catering, Food Handling and Awareness *OnTopic* Forum to educate us on safe food handling. Not specifically for Catering or competition but overall health and keeping our families safe too.

Old 09-17-2013, 01:05 PM   #1
Ahannif
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Default Opening a restaurant - advice on the little things

New to the forum and learning a lot from everyone's advice. We have just leased a building and starting the daunting and intense job of opening a small restaurant. We are pricing (oh the joys!) of every teeny tiny thing. We are in a lucky position to have financial backing. So with that said for a small casual dining set up we are in the debate of whether we should serve food in baskets or plates. I have only had personal experience with plates but am trying to decide if baskets are easier. I know it's a small detail but wanted to hear what other people thought. We are lucky that there is only one bbq restaurant within 20 minutes of us, there is a demand for the product and we are pretty close to two colleges one with a pretty prominent football program. We are working on having a menu just for tailgaters if they order ahead and deliver it to the area that day.. Right now the restaurant will only have about 20 tables and the menu is not too complicated. Any and all advice is greatly appreciated!!
Ahannif is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-17-2013, 09:56 PM   #2
davefan360
Take a breath!

baskets are cheaper and harder to brake but harder to keep looking new. Plates cost more, brake, but will stay newer looking longer. I like the metal baskets myself. have you ever ran, worked in or owned a restaurant? if you are that close to 2 colleges don't out price your market, but don't be the cheep place. I would get some smaples of the food out on football days. if it is good people will start to order whole butts and full slabs for there tail gate.

Old 09-17-2013, 11:14 PM   #3
Pyle's BBQ
Babbling Farker

If the choice is between plates and baskets, I would go with plates. They are easier to clean. I am using pie tins with a deli paper. They are cheap and were something different. There are also granite ware plates out there that would be durable. Do you have a budget in mind for dinnerware? I am looking for a link on the granite ware.

Yoder YS640; Good-One "Trail Boss" 60T; Weber Kettle rotisserie ring; Big A$$ Rotisserie; New Braunfels offset smoker; Weber Smokey Mountain; Backyard Bombers BBQ HJM

Μολν λαβέ
Pyle's BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-17-2013, 11:49 PM   #4
landarc
somebody shut me the fark up.

I sure don't like the baskets, to me, they scream cheap food. I realize that plates have drawbacks, but, that is where you can get creative, maybe. When I see baskets and paper, I think there is no pride in the presentation of the food.

For BBQ, if the desire is to minimize table ware, then go with paper and claim you are doing it Texas style.

Yelonutz: me either, but, then again, I don't drink any less
[/SIZE][/COLOR][/COLOR][SIZE=1][COLOR=DarkRed]
[COLOR=Pink]SSS[/COLOR]
[/COLOR][/SIZE]
landarc is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 09-18-2013, 12:20 AM   #5
AZScott
Take a breath!

Close your eyes and imagine your restaurant. Go through every detail and you will answer your own question. If you don't already know what it's going to look like and how the food is going to look on the tables, figure it out now.

Old 09-18-2013, 06:35 AM   #6
cpw
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Chad

I have no idea what the costs are, but there's a restaurant here that are using 1/4 sheet pans (I think that's the size anyways) with paper on top. I think that look would work well at a BBQ joint, without the worry about plate breakage.
Yoder YS640
Savannah, GA
Yes, Dear BBQ on Facebook
Proudly sponsored by Royal Oak Charcoal and The Atlanta BBQ store
cpw is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-18-2013, 07:22 AM   #7
Ahannif

All great ideas thanks for the replies! Going to look into the metal look. We are trying to go for a nice casual dining experience. I have had a couple people around here say that the basket is a more "authentic" bbq dining experience so had considered it. I do like the metal baskets idea because I agree the plastic can look cheap. Any and all ideas or advice is welcome!

Old 09-18-2013, 08:31 AM   #8
Ahannif

Quote:
Originally Posted by davefan360 View Post
baskets are cheaper and harder to brake but harder to keep looking new. Plates cost more, brake, but will stay newer looking longer. I like the metal baskets myself. have you ever ran, worked in or owned a restaurant? if you are that close to 2 colleges don't out price your market, but don't be the cheep place. I would get some smaples of the food out on football days. if it is good people will start to order whole butts and full slabs for there tail gate.
Yes have some restaurant experience but definitely different translating that into owning a restaurant. Great idea on taking samples! We are planning on a couple of tvs because of how big sports are in our area. As of right now we are planning on serving beer no liquor don't want to deal with the headache. But want to serve beer because what goes better with que than an ice cold beer? We have been lucky to be friends with a successful restaurant owner in our area who has been great on the advice and has helped streamline a lot. We like hearing everyone's opinions though bc we always learn something from em'.

Old 09-18-2013, 08:46 AM   #9
WhatHappened

I would go with baskets, the liners are cheap, and easy to switch out. It will cut you dish load down more than you can imagine. Plus the down crumble when they hit the floor. I actually always liked BB on metal trays. You can serve your sides in metal cups. I just always liked the looka nd feel of it. It really depends on the feel you are going for. What the rest of the restaurant looks like. If you will be offering anything like steaks, chops, or something, use a plate for that.

http://galvanizedpail.com/index.php?...kvh77t7nrne2u7

I have been in the restaurant industry for many years, and if you buy anything, buy a POS system. I know they are very expensive, but worth every penny.

Use atleast 3 food venders. Make sure they all show up around the same time, allowing a little overlap between them so the reps see each other. The reps have more control over pricing than you would think, and this keep them competitive. If yuo feel like one company is taking you for a ride, use the other company for everything for a couple weeks. The will feel the burn, trust me.

Make a detailed excel spreadsheet with par levels for your food orders. That way every time you are doing inventory for your food order, you will know what your par is, then all you have to do is keep track of what is on hand, and you will know what you need to order. This sheet needs to have everything down to napkin rings, and tooth picks on it. Never guess when filling it out, ALWAYS put eywes on your stock when filling it out.

If you will have liquor, you NEED cameras that you can log into at home, or form your cell. Trust me on this. It is all money, but it will be money saved.

Keep track of community events (concerts, marathons, anything going on in the area) and run specials. I would highly recommend running something with Groupon. Where I live we have one called Deal Chicken. If they have it where you are, use it.

My biggest advice is be the face of the restaurant, make people want to come back and see you. Spoil your serving staff, because they are what makes or breaks a restaurant. Don't run out of anything!!! With BQQ that can be tricky, so make sure to specify on the meanu that ribs are while supplies last. Have a board insude the door that says right off the bat that you are out of ribs, or brisket.

Best of luck to you.
WhatHappened is offline   Reply With Quote

2 members found this post helpful.
Old 09-18-2013, 08:49 AM   #10
WhatHappened

I just saw above that you will be serving beer. If you have the ability, keep your beer selection rotating. Get a good beer supplier that has a unique selection. They will be a great asset. Don't just stick to Bud, Coors, and Miller. Have some fun with the beer. I am sure there is a craft beer club in the area. Throw them some food to help you pair beer with your menu. People love that.
WhatHappened is offline   Reply With Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Thanks from: --->
Old 09-18-2013, 11:09 AM   #11
cynfulsmokersbbq
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpw View Post
I have no idea what the costs are, but there's a restaurant here that are using 1/4 sheet pans (I think that's the size anyways) with paper on top. I think that look would work well at a BBQ joint, without the worry about plate breakage.
Snap a picture with your phone next time you are in there and post it here.
cynfulsmokersbbq is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-18-2013, 11:13 AM   #12
cynfulsmokersbbq
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhatHappened View Post
I would go with baskets, the liners are cheap, and easy to switch out. It will cut you dish load down more than you can imagine. Plus the down crumble when they hit the floor. I actually always liked BB on metal trays. You can serve your sides in metal cups. I just always liked the looka nd feel of it. It really depends on the feel you are going for. What the rest of the restaurant looks like. If you will be offering anything like steaks, chops, or something, use a plate for that.

http://galvanizedpail.com/index.php?...kvh77t7nrne2u7

Make a detailed excel spreadsheet with par levels for your food orders. That way every time you are doing inventory for your food order, you will know what your par is, then all you have to do is keep track of what is on hand, and you will know what you need to order. This sheet needs to have everything down to napkin rings, and tooth picks on it. Never guess when filling it out, ALWAYS put eywes on your stock when filling it out.

What do you mean "par levels"
sorry, i understand your post completely except for this.
Thanks for your posts!

Old 09-18-2013, 11:17 AM   #13
cynfulsmokersbbq
Full Fledged Farker

Have you thought about tin pie plates? I have eaten off of them in BBQ joints before.
Also there is a restaurant at Lake of the Ozarks that serves all kid meals on a frisbee. Another one serves kids meals like fries, chicken strips, mini corn-dogs in a small plastic bucket w/shovel

http://www.katom.com/225-41110.html?zmam=29342707&zmas=1&zmac=32&zmap=225-41110&utm_source=googlebase&utm_medium=Adword&utm_ campaign=CSE&CID=pla&kw={keyword}&gclid=CIvd-8is1bkCFeIRMwodJkIAHg

something like this, but they were a little more rustic.

Last edited by cynfulsmokersbbq; 09-18-2013 at 11:19 AM.. Reason: added link.

Old 09-18-2013, 11:44 AM   #14
cpw
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Chad

I pulled this off of their website.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 03.jpg (154.6 KB, 202 views)
Yoder YS640
Savannah, GA
Yes, Dear BBQ on Facebook
Proudly sponsored by Royal Oak Charcoal and The Atlanta BBQ store
cpw is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-18-2013, 12:05 PM   #15
Ahannif

wow that looks awesome! you all have given us a lot of ideas and a lot of advice. MUCH appreciated!!