MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 05-29-2006, 09:55 PM   #1
LeeBo
On the road to being a farker

Default (Pinto) Beans

Tonight I had a brisket over at my parents. Mom cooked it in the oven, but still pretty darn good. Yes oven, but very much ala Emeril. Of course we had pinto beans with it. I got to thinkin....

I recall a thread from years past where someone responded to cooking beans with something along the lines of "cut the lid off the can and heat them up, what difference does it make?" I always chuckle to myself on that one.....

My wife is a farm girl and a phenominal cook. However, being from Minnesota, she (and her family) had never eaten or seen pinto beans. Then, the other day, my yankee neighbor mentioned he had never eaten pinto beans. Then he said he would have to pick up a can. EEEE GADS!!!!

So, I thought my little contribution to the Brethren would be to encourage each of you to try making a pot.

There are many variations of cooking pinto beans (some major, some minor), but they all follow a similar path: use dry beans, slow cook them in water, always thrown in a hunk of raw salt pork, add garlic. The various methods include whether or not to soak them first, whether or not to doctor them up, and whether or not to boil them at some point. These issues and others spark serious debate in the SW United States.

Anywho, at supper tonight we were all talking about how baked beans are OK, but just don't cut it for us country boy Okies. Rather, for BBQ and fried catfish, pinto beans must always be served.

I know I know, it's a local cultural thing. I'm not saying better, just sharing the idea to our Northern Q'ers.

Enjoy!

- LeeBo
LeeBo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-29-2006, 10:06 PM   #2
BBQchef33
Grand Poobah and Site Admin

Name/Nickname : Phil

i had that conversation with our texas lady friend that came here for lunch thursday..She was telling me that real beans are only pinto beans and not the sweet chit everyone makes...

the beans i make, i use 4 types of beans pinto, cannolini(sp), kidney and pink, alot of ground beef, a rack of boneless babybacks and then some sugars, ketchup, etc... and slow cook in a dutch oven... but she said that aint the way its done where she comes from.. and pinots are just pintos done a few differnt ways, but the beans are the stars...

so.... i never did it, never saw it, never tried it... that being said.. share some recipes/techniques. !!

CBJ with a Fuzzy Blue Hat, 18 Foot Competition Trailer, Customized Klose BYC, Custom Built Shirley built to feed our Veterans(A.K.A "Abrams"), 1 Double Barreled Lang 84, 1 Heavily Modified Bionic Bandera, 1 Custom Super Medium Stickburning Spicewine w/stoker, 2 XL BGE, 1 Mini BGE, 2 Pit Barrel Cookers, 3 WSMs, 3 Weber Kettles, an NB Hondo, A Modified Brinkman Horizontal, DCS 48" Grill, a Broilmaster P3, a Blackstone 36 and 17, a covered, pellet pooping FEC100, and our duck died. :(

News Flash:
"A mans worth is judged by the weight of his integrity "

You know your getting older when you choose your cereal for the fiber, not the toy

Smoke on KC.
WWW.BBQ-BRETHREN.COM
BBQchef33 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-29-2006, 10:42 PM   #3
thirdeye
somebody shut me the fark up.

I'll throw one out on the table:

These beans were inspired by my friend Tom, who is quite the hand at cooking both inside and outside.

3 cups washed Pinto beans
3 or 4 twice smoked ham hocks (or shanks) (or few strips bacon) (or 1/3 lb salt pork)
1 onion, chopped and sweated.
2 green onions with tops, chopped and sweated
2 split and seeded jalapenos (or serrano peppers), chopped
2 or 3 mild green chilis like Anaheim or Big Jim, roasted, skinned then chopped
3-4 garlic cloves, roasted and mashed into paste
1 bay leaf
1/2 T. dry mustard
1 T. Worcestershire sauce
2 T. chili powder “Top Hat” is my favorite
1 can extra Hot Rotel Tomatoes (optional)
1 or 2 t Summer Savory
1 t Epazote
black pepper to taste
salt to taste
Sriracha “hot” chili sauce served at the table.

Cover beans with water and soak overnight. For this years crop, soak about 3 or 4 hours only.

Drain the water off of the beans, put in large pot and cover with fresh water by at least 2 inches. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to a simmer. Add the ham hocks, onions, garlic, peppers, bay leaf, mustard, Summer Savory, epazote, black pepper and chili powder. The beans can cook on the stovetop or be moved to the cooker, with the lid on but ajar. Add more water anytime during the cook as needed. Lastly, add the Worcestershire and tomatoes and cook for about 30 minutes more. Remove the hocks and pick the meat off of the bone, return to beans. Salt to taste at the end to avoid making the skin on the beans tough.

To reduce heat, use regular canned tomatoes and/or omit the serranos.

For smoky beans, move the Dutch oven into your cooker and remove the cover for the final hour or two, keeping your eye on the liquid level, adding water as needed. (The twice smoked hocks will give the beans a small amount of smoke flavor without extra smoke from the cooker.)

Barbecuist ~ Charcuterist ~ KCBS Master Judge & CTC
Big Green Eggs, Big Drum Smokers, Big Chiefs, Weber Smokey Joe "Custom Tall Boy"
Oil Patch Horizontal, SnS Deluxe Kettle

Visit my Cookin' Site by clicking HERE
Barbecue is not rocket surgery
“The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it's hard to verify their authenticity” ~ Abraham Lincoln
thirdeye is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-29-2006, 10:43 PM   #4
MrsMista
Full Fledged Farker

I'm telling you guys now. If you ever happen to be around me and beans are being served I ain't touchin' em. It took me 40 years to find out I like garbanzo beans. They have somewhat of a nutty flaver with a texture I like versus some cooked to death mushy somethin or other that is just yuck, blah, ugh!!!!
MrsMista is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-29-2006, 11:01 PM   #5
FatDaddy
is One Chatty Farker

Default Charro beans

My take on Pinto beans, TX style.

2Lbs dry pinto beans.
12 pack shiner bock or your favorite beer
2-3 serrano peppers (seeded and deveined if u like)
5-6 cloves of garlic (crushed)
1 can diced tomatos
1 large yellow onion (diced)
3tbs pinto bean seasoning
1 batch fresh cilantro
1lb porksalt (or fatty of your choosing)

Soak beans in 2-3 shinerbocks over night, fill pot with water and another beer or 2 till the beans are covered about an inch, boil hard for 2 hours, turn to med heat and add in porksalt,onion, tomato,garlic, peppers, and pinto bean seasoning. continue to cook stirring often until tender. before u serve add in chopped cilantro.

For less heat in the beans cook the peppers whole.

PS , drink the remaining shiner bocks to help pass the time.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 12.jpg (137.6 KB, 656 views)

Home made 5' reverse flow smoker
Lg BGE
WSM 18.5
WSM 22.5
Weber Kettle 22 1/2" silver series
Weber Copper Smokey Joe Gold 14.5"
GPS trackable RED super fast thermopen

http://www.facebook.com/jtempleton2

Last edited by FatDaddy; 05-29-2006 at 11:25 PM..
FatDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-30-2006, 02:44 AM   #6
CarbonToe
is One Chatty Farker

I make baked beans with Pinto as I cannot find 'Yellow eyed' beans over here!

Mix 'em up pop 'em under a brisket or shoulder.......yum

Old 05-30-2006, 03:24 AM   #7
bbqinNC
On the road to being a farker

FatDaddy, I have got to try that recipe, lookin good!!
Kenmore Kettle Charcoal grill
bbqinNC is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-30-2006, 07:52 AM   #8
Ron_L

Name/Nickname : Captain Ron

OK... Between Leebo, thirdeye and fatdaddy I now have a huge craving for pintos! Both recipes sound and look great! I'm going to put one of them on the menu for this weekend!

Naked Fatties Rock!

PKGo X 2/PK360/
Ron_L is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-30-2006, 02:51 PM   #9
kcquer
Lives in Spirit

Quote:
Anywho, at supper tonight we were all talking about how baked beans are OK, but just don't cut it for us country boy Okies. Rather, for BBQ and fried catfish, pinto beans must always be served.

I know I know, it's a local cultural thing. I'm not saying better, just sharing the idea to our Northern Q'ers.
You're right Leebo, it is a cultural thing. Here in the midwest, a pot of beans as you describe (any variety is acceptable, not just pintos) isn't a sidedish, its dinner, served with cornbread.
Baked beans are a sidedish.

I agree that there's nothing like a good pot of beans, I prefer great northerns or big ol' butter beans, but pintos are pretty good to.
I have made Q beans from scratch, but 99% of the time I'm a can opening kind of guy. I like my beans with Q to have lots of brown sugar, some chili powder, onion, bacon and liquid smoke. Just what I grew up on and continues to tickle my tastebuds.
kcquer is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-30-2006, 02:58 PM   #10
BBQchef33
Grand Poobah and Site Admin

Name/Nickname : Phil

My beans contain more meat than beans...... A pot wil lhave 3-4 lbs of ground beef and a rack of babybacks(no bones). Then 2-3 lbs of beans, with the sugars and spices.

come out more like a sweet chile... but definately can be a meal.

CBJ with a Fuzzy Blue Hat, 18 Foot Competition Trailer, Customized Klose BYC, Custom Built Shirley built to feed our Veterans(A.K.A "Abrams"), 1 Double Barreled Lang 84, 1 Heavily Modified Bionic Bandera, 1 Custom Super Medium Stickburning Spicewine w/stoker, 2 XL BGE, 1 Mini BGE, 2 Pit Barrel Cookers, 3 WSMs, 3 Weber Kettles, an NB Hondo, A Modified Brinkman Horizontal, DCS 48" Grill, a Broilmaster P3, a Blackstone 36 and 17, a covered, pellet pooping FEC100, and our duck died. :(

News Flash:
"A mans worth is judged by the weight of his integrity "

You know your getting older when you choose your cereal for the fiber, not the toy

Smoke on KC.
WWW.BBQ-BRETHREN.COM
BBQchef33 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-30-2006, 03:52 PM   #11
D.B.Cooper
Got Wood.

Here is a thread on egullet that chaged the way I cook beans (salt).

http://forums.egullet.org/index.php?showtopic=36312

My favorite bean recipe is Alton Brown's "The Once and Future Beans" altered with pintos and cooked in a slow cooker. Add some cornbread and it's a fantastic meal.
D.B.Cooper is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-30-2006, 04:55 PM   #12
nmayeux
Babbling Farker

I love most kinds of beans, but I think true baked beans are a southern tradition. Comparing pintos to baked is like comparing red beans and rice to chile. Two different things. Now that said, I want to try both Phil's and the pinto trio recipes!

On a different note, my wife hates beans. I don't know if it was before she met me, or after she smelled one of my bean incidents? ;)
Lang 60 Marie Laveau
Deep South Single Chamber Glenda
WSM 22.5 Asmarelda
22.5 OTG Samantha
Weber Genesis Mocha
nmayeux is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-30-2006, 05:26 PM   #13
thirdeye

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmayeux
I love most kinds of beans, but I think true baked beans are a southern tradition. Comparing pintos to baked is like comparing red beans and rice to chile. Two different things. Now that said, I want to try both Phil's and the pinto trio recipes!

On a different note, my wife hates beans. I don't know if it was before she met me, or after she smelled one of my bean incidents? ;)
Have you ever tried the Mexican herb "epazote"? Epazote is also known as the bean herb, because it makes beans more digestable and reduces gas. It is in most Mexican pinto bean recipes. Some folks claim it has an off flavor, but I like both the fresh and the dried. The fresh should be treated like a bay leaf and removed from the pot before serving.

Big Green Eggs, Big Drum Smokers, Big Chiefs, Weber Smokey Joe "Custom Tall Boy"

“The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it's hard to verify their authenticity” ~ Abraham Lincoln

Old 05-30-2006, 05:35 PM   #14
bbqjoe
Banned

How about some Great Northern beans cooked with some onion, brisket, and topped off with a pat of butter?

bbqjoe is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-30-2006, 06:09 PM   #15
thirdeye

Joe....Love those Great Northerns too. I usually do shanks but brisket does sound good. Gotta have cornbread or hoe cakes on the side.