MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 07-21-2013, 02:09 PM   #1
BecknCO
On the road to being a farker

Default One awful and One decent cook

Hey guys,

So since my last cease and desist letter from the POS HOA, I've done two illegal cooks - A pork tenderloin stuffed with bread and onion stuffing + feta, and then a rack of baby back ribs last night. Guess which was awful, and which was decent.....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg pork tenderloin.jpg (131.2 KB, 173 views)
File Type: jpg pork tenderloin plated.jpg (115.1 KB, 171 views)
File Type: jpg first baby backs2.jpg (112.8 KB, 171 views)
BecknCO is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-21-2013, 02:11 PM   #2
aawa
Babbling Farker

Both look perfectly fine to me!

Old 07-21-2013, 02:18 PM   #3
tpope
Full Fledged Farker

I'm sure that the string on the loin was tough... They both look good to me.
tpope is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-21-2013, 02:31 PM   #4
BecknCO

The tenderloin was anything but... I did it at 325, and it only took an hour, may have been the cheap hormel tube I used....not sure what I did wrong. It was just too chewy, so I chucked most of it.

The baby backs on the other hand came out decent. They never really passed the bend test until I forced it to after running about 5 hours with pretty consistent temp of 225.... crutched in apple juice for 30 mins after 1.5 hours ala Meathead method. Could've been more tender, but bark and flavor was good. I few pulled clean off the bone, and others didn't. I'm not sure what I did wrong on either cook, but it could've partially been the quality of the meat - the ribs were those kroger moist and tender brand (seemed like they were pre-brined or something).

These were my 3rd and 4th smokes ever - used the mini wsm. So far the only things that were awesome were the fatty and spatchcocked chicken. I've got a lot to learn from you all....

Old 07-21-2013, 02:39 PM   #5
smokeisgood
is one Smokin' Farker

I don't understand your HOA. Do they not allow anyone to grill out in the summer? You should not have that much more smoke that anyone would be overwhelmed.

Old 07-21-2013, 02:45 PM   #6
BecknCO

The issue is that it's a condo complex in richy rich suburb -- the smoke is not the issue (it's only a little mini wsm), but rather the fact that it's charcoal.

The narc that came by last night told me that I was going to burn her house down with it and that she was going to report me again. I gently reminded her that she bought an apartment, and that I was in compliance with the fire authority (10+ feet away from anything combustible), but she was not going to hear it. I'll have to go to war with them during the next HOA meeting on the 24th

Old 07-21-2013, 02:51 PM   #7
aawa
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by BecknCO View Post
The issue is that it's a condo complex in richy rich suburb -- the smoke is not the issue (it's only a little mini wsm), but rather the fact that it's charcoal.

The narc that came by last night told me that I was going to burn her house down with it and that she was going to report me again. I gently reminded her that she bought an apartment, and that I was in compliance with the fire authority (10+ feet away from anything combustible), but she was not going to hear it. I'll have to go to war with them during the next HOA meeting on the 24th
I would definitely go to the HOA meeting and bring up the fact that you fire authority requires to be 10+ feet away from the building and that you make sure that you are follow the fire authority guide lines. It sucks you can't use charcoal if you are far enough away from the building.

Old 07-21-2013, 03:50 PM   #8
PanamaExpat
Got Wood.

HOAs bite the big waldoski. Feel for ya man. Glad the one here isn't a bunch of neighborhood nazis. Food looks great though. Sorry to hear the tenderloin wasn't so tender.

Old 07-21-2013, 03:57 PM   #9
caseydog
somebody shut me the fark up.

Okay, HOA aside, pork tenderloin doesn't like to be overcooked. If it was chewy, you most likely overcooked it. At that cooking temperature, the pork was probably done at twenty minutes.

If you want to stuff lean pork, use pork loin, not tenderloin. The extra meat will allow you to cook the stuffing through, without overcooking the pork. Always use a stuffing that can be safe to eat at 145 degrees, because that is the temperature at which your pork loin will be perfectly cooked.

CD
caseydog is offline   Reply With Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 07-21-2013, 04:07 PM   #10
caseydog
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PanamaExpat View Post
HOAs bite the big waldoski. Feel for ya man. Glad the one here isn't a bunch of neighborhood nazis. Food looks great though. Sorry to hear the tenderloin wasn't so tender.
It all depends on the HOA board. I was on the board of my HOA for eight years, and president for three years. Everything was fine. The other board members were laid back like me, we were pretty easy on the rules, as long as nobody pissed off their neighbors, or wanted to paint their house hot pink.

Our homes are independent structures. It is a different story if you live in attached condos. If I set fire to my house with my grill or smoker, only my house burns down. If you set fore to a condo, several households can suddenly become homeless. The rules have to be more strict.

To the VERY few people who ever got in my face bout the HOA rules, my response was always, "You signed a contract at closing to abide by HOA rules." In other words, if anyone is surprised by the HOA rules, they signed papers at closing that they did't read.

CD
caseydog is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-21-2013, 05:22 PM   #11
tpope
Full Fledged Farker

There's a reason that I will not live where there is a home owners association... Yours is a good example of why I will not allow folks to tell me how to live my life.

I wish you the best when standing up for your rights against them... But I did not buy in there...
tpope is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-21-2013, 05:24 PM   #12
BecknCO

about the HOA - we are just renting for now, never signed anything involving the HOA rules, but since the condos are attached, it's basically just an apartment complex - I get their point, and I'm always super safe (never dump coals anywhere, and watch the chimney like a hawk), but I think I'm going to lose this battle and get a fine. Hopefully nobody cries if I drag everything to the pool area.

As for the pork tenderloin, the stuffing was leftover and pre-cooked the day before. I followed meathead's guide to smoke it at 325 on amazingribs, but maybe that was too hot.

I'm also thinking that the altitude may have something to do with my jacked up cooking times and results (I've always used a maverick et732 and pull at the recommended temps). Pizza and things like leavened bread generally suck up here due partially to that.

Old 07-22-2013, 07:13 AM   #13
smokeisgood
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by BecknCO View Post
I'll have to go to war with them during the next HOA meeting on the 24th
Show up with a big ol mess of pulled pork and ribs...