MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 06-18-2013, 09:47 AM   #46
2dumb2kwit
Full Fledged Farker

Just a couple points to think about.

1. Did that place sell bad Q, or some of the best tasting stuff around? (You don't know....do you.)

2. Do you leave a grocery store because the cashier doesn't know where the produce is grown?

3. Have you changed banks because a teller couldn't tell you how they keep your money safe from cyber criminals, or how the safe is constructed?

4. Do you refuse to buy gas at stations that the cashier can't tell you what additives are in the gas?

5. I've eaten some pretty dang good food, at places that I was surprised every time the waitress found her way to the kitchen. Hahaha.

Thanks from:--->

Old 06-18-2013, 09:54 AM   #47
Big Ron
Full Fledged Farker

Sometimes you have got to roll the dice and hope for the best. You may not like it or you may love it, but you won't know without ordering it as they serve it. My 2 cents.
[url]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UQxbfOx_MOE[/url]
Patio Smoker
[url]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BV7lqPKVzTI[/url]
Big Ron is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-18-2013, 09:55 AM   #48
Hell Fire Grill
Full Fledged Farker

If the OP is such a great pitmaster and expects everyone to know what part of the brisket they're serving etc.

Why cant he look at it and identify what part of the brisket it is himself?
Hell Fire Grill is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-18-2013, 09:57 AM   #49
SmokinJohn
Babbling Farker

I feel you on this.

I have some road eating rules I have developed over the years of travel, and my worst experiences come when I violate them. Here are some of the ones concerning BBQ:

If I can't smell or see smoke coming from the place, or
If they boil their ribs, or
If I can't see the smoke ring, or
If the sauce replaces the smoke ring,

Then that place will either not be visited, or if I do visit it, will not warrant a return trip. I am not a snob, but I have the right to spend my hard-earned money on a quality product. Life is too short to waste on bad food.

Old 06-18-2013, 10:12 AM   #50
Pole D
is one Smokin' Farker

So you say he offered you a taste but you don't say if you took him up on it and if so if it was any good.

If you tried it and didn't like it, then good for you for not ordering more. If you didn't try it and didn't order simply because he didn't know if it was flat or point, then that's on you.
Pole D is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-18-2013, 11:08 AM   #51
CarolinaQue
is Blowin Smoke!

I would have tried it just to see if they were doing some thing that I could pick up on to improve my own product. I think that looking past the end of your nose more often and getting the chip off of your shoulder could help you in more ways than cooking technique and flavor profiles.

Some of the best BBQ and other types of food I have ever had has been from very unexpected establishments that didn't seem to have much more of a clue other than simply cooking and serving.

Heck, I bet many of the old timers that I have eaten the offerings from couldn't tell me much about the in's and out's of every part of a whole hog, but they sure could cook it to melt in your mouth perfection...and I gladly ate it with no questions asked!!!

[COLOR=darkred]“Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts.”[/COLOR] - Mark Twain

- Beautiful family
- Home made trailer mounted reverse flow offset w/ vertical chamber, Weber OTG and an ECB
CarolinaQue is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 06-18-2013, 12:02 PM   #52
jestridge
somebody shut me the fark up.

We watch too many farking food shows , it aint, like the end of the world if you eat bad BBQ.
jestridge is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-18-2013, 12:03 PM   #53
SmokinJohn
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by jestridge View Post
We watch too many farking food shows , it aint, like the end of the world if you eat bad BBQ.
You haven't eaten at Dickey's then, have you?

Old 06-18-2013, 12:39 PM   #54
hnd
Full Fledged Farker

we act like not up to par bbq is awful and inedible yet will scarf down fast food, applebees, or subway regularly.
hnd is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-18-2013, 12:53 PM   #55
jestridge

yeah, we also will cook in a drum with charcoal and a few wood chips and swear that real bbq
jestridge is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-18-2013, 01:05 PM   #56
va_connoisseur
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
yeah, we also will cook in a drum with charcoal and a few wood chips and swear that real bbq

I'll bite...what is real bbq?
[LIST][*]250 gallon, custom reverse flow smoker with warming cabinet aka Hawg Coffin[*]120 gallon reverse flow aka Hog Coffin (retired)[*] 22 and 18.5 WSM[*]Known as Spatulaman[*]Owner of Plate BBQ LLC[/LIST]
va_connoisseur is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-18-2013, 01:12 PM   #57
SmokinJohn
Babbling Farker

Quote:
So what is real bbq?

Old 06-18-2013, 01:14 PM   #58
SmokinJohn
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by hnd View Post
we act like not up to par bbq is awful and inedible yet will scarf down fast food, applebees, or subway regularly.
And I can also eat a steak from III Forks or Ruth's Chris or the Metropolitan Grill or the Chicago Chop House when I could cook one at home for 1/10 the price (but not the flavor).....

...it's about choice

Old 06-18-2013, 01:15 PM   #59
Bamabuzzard
is One Chatty Farker

Real BBQ-

Pot of boiling water

Slab of ribs

K.C. Masterpiece Original BBQ Sauce

Place ribs in boiling water until done

Plate.

Apply liberal layers of KC Masterpiece and BAM!!!!! REAL BBQ!!!!!!!!!!

www.doubledsbbq.com
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Double...12864168786570
Stumps Baby Gravity Feed Smoker
Backwoods Patio Unit
Char Griller Offset for grilling
Bamabuzzard is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-18-2013, 01:16 PM   #60
16Adams

Now why'd you have to go hate'n on mustard??

Last edited by 16Adams; 06-01-2014 at 11:43 AM..
16Adams is offline   Reply With Quote