MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 06-13-2013, 03:34 PM   #1
Cayman1
is one Smokin' Farker

Default What's the best way to spice up sauce?

Looking for suggestions on how to put a little more kick in bbq sauce. Thought about just adding cayenne pepper but I don't think it dissolves or that I could get it even throughout the sauce. I like the kick I get from the cayenne but it is hard to spread evenly by sprinkling on the meat.

Any thoughts or suggestions? Not opposed to a different ground pepper but getting mixed evenly I imagine would be the same as cayenne.

Old 06-13-2013, 03:43 PM   #2
ironmanerik
is One Chatty Farker

P6130771.jpg

Old 06-13-2013, 03:46 PM   #3
DownHomeQue
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : DHQ

louisiana hot sauce, Crushed red pepper flake is a real nice heat.. just blend it first... and throw it in the sauce when you are making it.. or dissolve it in a liquid that is existing in your sauce and then pour it in the sauce.. you could then use a blender if to puree the sauce.. and that would be a way to insure the head is evenly dispursed in the sauce..

[URL]http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=148660[/URL]

250 Gallon Offset Build (2012)

[URL]http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=211078[/URL]

600 Gallon Offset Build (2016)
DownHomeQue is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-13-2013, 03:48 PM   #4
chingador
is One Chatty Farker

Cajun Power will give it an extra dimension of garlic, but it is not spicy. Layers of cayenne and black pepper does a sauce good.

Rec Tec 590 Stampede, Primo Oval XL, Weber 26" Kettle with Gabby Grills Santa Maria attachment. Lonestargrillz 42" pellet grill on order.
chingador is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-13-2013, 03:52 PM   #5
deguerre
somebody shut me the fark up.

The problem I see with adding pepper sauces would be more flavor ingredients being added besides just heat. Now, that may, or may not, be a good thing...
Just adding the powdered peppers to the sauce directly and then mixing in a blender ought to work fairly well.
[/B][/FONT]"...In nature, there are predators. I believe the common denominator of the universe is not harmony, but chaos, hostility and murder..." Werner Herzog
deguerre is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-13-2013, 03:56 PM   #6
landarc

I like to infuse my vinegar that forms the base of my sauce with the rub and peppers first, then I strain and add to the pot, and build the sauce from there. You can even use whole dried peppers in this manner and it offers up a whole world of flavors from there.

Yelonutz: me either, but, then again, I don't drink any less
[/SIZE][/COLOR][/COLOR][SIZE=1][COLOR=DarkRed]
[COLOR=Pink]SSS[/COLOR]
[/COLOR][/SIZE]
landarc is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-13-2013, 03:57 PM   #7
gtr

Definitely not always the right thing, but is very good in some instances - I've only used it a couple times - it's a quick heat that doesn't last too long. May not work with traditional BBQ flavor profiles, but might be worth a shot - I could see it working with mustard sauces.

50" Klose BYC, Spitjack XB85, 22.5 WSM, Backwoods Chubby, UDS, WRK, 26" & 22.5" Weber Kettles, Jumbo Joe, WGA, WSJ/MUDS, Kanka Grill, a piece of expanded metal I throw over the fire pit sometimes, Stealthy Black & Vol Orange Thermapens
Displaced East Tennesseean
Proud recipient of a Tick
Former outlaw MOINK baller, now IMBAS Certified, but still lookin' over my shoulder.
"Relax, it's only BBQ." - Bigmista, 2013
"Don't worry about playing a lot of notes. Just find one pretty one." - Miles Davis
WTFWGALD?
gtr is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-13-2013, 03:58 PM   #8
Hi Cheese
Knows what a fatty is.

You can add fresh peppers while the sauce simmers. Using a whole pepper, cut slits lengthwise leaving the stem part intact, shake out any loose seeds or remove them completely.

Any type of heat can be "one note". Try to find different type of heat and combine to get front and back heat.
Hi Cheese is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-13-2013, 04:00 PM   #9
chad

Steep crush dried peppers of your choice in cider vinegar then use the vinegar in the sauce.

"It's all about getting paid!" - Myron Mixon
"I love being hated in my hometown!" - David Hair

KingFisher Gator Rotisserie cooker (RIP), WSM (RIP), Stainless 5 burner with IR gas grill (RIP), Turkey Fryer, Weber JD Commemorative grill (RIP), Masterbuilt 40" insulated ELECTRIC smoker (new heating element),
Pit Boss Tailgater pellet pooper.
chad is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-13-2013, 04:01 PM   #10
beerguy
is One Chatty Farker

Tiger sauce has a punch.And its in the grocery stores.

Traeger BBQ100
18.5 " WSM X2
Weber Gold Kettle 22 1/2"
Weber 18 1/2 "
22.5 " WSM X2
beerguy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-13-2013, 04:06 PM   #11
Cayman1
is one Smokin' Farker

Thanks for all the suggestions. I'll try the blending. Not wanting to add any other flavor profiles to the sauce, just the kick.

Old 06-13-2013, 04:16 PM   #12
MS2SB
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cayman1 View Post
I like the kick I get from the cayenne but it is hard to spread evenly by sprinkling on the meat.
I don't think I quite understand what you're saying here. If you want to add heat to the sauce why are you adding cayenne to the meat? If you add cayenne powder to your sauce and let it simmer for a bit afterwards the heat will diffuse evenly throughout the sauce.
[B]Original Noobian Warlord
[/B]Loser of Known Space
MS2SB is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-13-2013, 04:43 PM   #13
letdasmokeroll
Full Fledged Farker

I only make Eastern NC vinegar sauce so I simmer all on the stove top for a while all the flavors seem to mix well ...just my 2 cents
letdasmokeroll is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-13-2013, 05:00 PM   #14
caseydog

I add cayenne pepper to sauces all the time. I heat the sauce up in a sauce pan, and simmer for 15-20 minutes, to cook the cayenne into the sauce. Adding cayenne to cold sauce will require extra time for the pepper powder to fully incorporate.

I like to add cayenne and honey to commercial BBQ sauces. I like a good blend of sweet and heat.

CD
caseydog is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-13-2013, 05:44 PM   #15
N8man
Babbling Farker

liquid capsaicin

How I Fire Up That Ugly DrumPit Smoker!!!!
N8man is offline   Reply With Quote