MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 05-14-2013, 05:37 PM   #46
ButtBurner
Babbling Farker

I have an Auber PID controller for an electric smoker that I no longer use

it worked real well
Member Great Lakes BBQ Assn
ServSafe Food Handler Certified
[URL]https://www.facebook.com/pages/Michigan-Custom-Que/327994370697180?sk=timeline[/URL]
ButtBurner is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->

Old 05-14-2013, 05:40 PM   #47
Marvin
Got Wood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ButtBurner View Post
I have an Auber PID controller for an electric smoker that I no longer use

it worked real well
That's what I'm using. I have heard nice things about their PID so I went with theirs.
Marvin is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-14-2013, 05:55 PM   #48
ButtBurner
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin View Post
That's what I'm using. I have heard nice things about their PID so I went with theirs.
I know thats what you are using, I saw it in your pics

thats why I mentioned it
Member Great Lakes BBQ Assn
ServSafe Food Handler Certified
[URL]https://www.facebook.com/pages/Michigan-Custom-Que/327994370697180?sk=timeline[/URL]
ButtBurner is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-14-2013, 06:06 PM   #49
JONESY
is one Smokin' Farker

[QUOTE=vafish;2479125]My kids spend their summers working at a boy scout camp. Last summer my oldest son brought a uds down with him to camp. He started cooking pulled pork on their days off. Then a big storm came through and knocked out power to the camp. Power was out for a week. Camp was closes, but the staff stayed there to clean up.

Son ended up cooking for 70+ people a day on his

That's fantastic that your son could provide for that many during a power outage, I'd be proud as well. Now can everyone get off the power outage issue, yes this is an electric smoker, I'm sure Marvin is not building it for a dooms day situation. You all are correct it's electric, therefore, if the power is out Marvin can't smoke on the particular unit. I'm loving this build and can't wait to see more, keep up the good work Marvin, electric or not.

Thanks from: --->
Old 05-14-2013, 06:52 PM   #50
El_Capitan
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

I like it. If I knew enough about electricity I would try to build one.
El_Capitan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-14-2013, 07:19 PM   #51
Marvin
Got Wood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JONESY View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by vafish View Post
My kids spend their summers working at a boy scout camp. Last summer my oldest son brought a uds down with him to camp. He started cooking pulled pork on their days off. Then a big storm came through and knocked out power to the camp. Power was out for a week. Camp was closes, but the staff stayed there to clean up.

Son ended up cooking for 70+ people a day on his
That's fantastic that your son could provide for that many during a power outage, I'd be proud as well. Now can everyone get off the power outage issue, yes this is an electric smoker, I'm sure Marvin is not building it for a dooms day situation. You all are correct it's electric, therefore, if the power is out Marvin can't smoke on the particular unit. I'm loving this build and can't wait to see more, keep up the good work Marvin, electric or not.
That's ok Jonesy, I knew some would not prefer this setup. But I do and hopefully my work (as others before me have done) will help others who are thinking about this type of setup.

I think more will be interested once I do the 30 gal 120v version.

Again, thank you for the encouragement.

Old 05-14-2013, 07:21 PM   #52
Marvin
Got Wood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by El_Capitan View Post
I like it. If I knew enough about electricity I would try to build one.
Hopefully when I'm done, you will feel comfortable enough to attempt the build. I'll certainly help you where I can.

Old 05-14-2013, 09:28 PM   #53
El_Capitan
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

I got it so far. I appreciated your diagram. great idea to have 120 outlet as well. I am interested to see how it all comes together.
El_Capitan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-16-2013, 11:26 AM   #54
wrenfro12
Full Fledged Farker

I am much more comfortable with 12v DC power so my question is this....the heating element is wired directly to the power line that is plugged into the 220 outlet with the pid/ssr turning it on and off... What is it about the heating element that keeps it from drawing too much power and throwing the breaker?

Wilbur's Been Smokin' Somethin'
Woodstock, GA

wilbursbbq.com
wrenfro12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-16-2013, 01:36 PM   #55
Marvin
Got Wood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrenfro12 View Post
I am much more comfortable with 12v DC power so my question is this....the heating element is wired directly to the power line that is plugged into the 220 outlet with the pid/ssr turning it on and off... What is it about the heating element that keeps it from drawing too much power and throwing the breaker?
The element will heat to it's max wattage (all elements do this). Based on max wattage, I have the breaker sized acrodanly (plus 5% as I want to run other things off the 120v outlet). Additionally, I have a fuse in the electrical box sized to the max of what the element should draw. If the element draws more (as it could when it ages), it will pop the local fuse and should never get back to the breaker. However, if the fuse does not do it's job, the last man standing (the breaker) should do it's job.

Also, I could double fuse each hot side (120v) of the element but that's a bit of an overkill.

To be honest, I just put the fuse in for the drawing to make others feel comfortable, I will not be using a fuse in my implementation, the breaker should do it's job and I'm fine with it (I'm not building a retail unit that has to comply with UL standards).

Old 05-16-2013, 01:57 PM   #56
BB-Kuhn
Take a breath!

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-Rod View Post
Would be interesting to see the fuel cost comparison in electricity consumed vs. charcoal cost...

While I applaud your outside the box approach, charcoal-fueled UDS's are already set and forget! And I'm with bluedawg on the power going out issue- Better have a generator handy so you don't ruin a cook!

Interested to see what your smoke producing setup will be. Good luck.
I doubt it will be that bad - I used to have one of the ECB electric smokers, which actually is just a variation on this exact same thing - no controls, just a coil that plugs in for on, unplug for off.

It wasn't too bad on the electricity - barely noticed anything on the monthly bill even using it a couple times per week.

Old 05-16-2013, 01:59 PM   #57
BB-Kuhn
Take a breath!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Warren View Post
I am just curious how the smoke aspect comes in to play here. Do you put a little smoke wood chip box inside or what?
I'd go with a smoke bomb - chips wrapped in foil about baseball size and holes poked in it. They work really well and usually don't leave much mess to clean up (the ash usually stays in the ball of foil and you can just remove the used 'bomb' after the cook is over).

Old 05-17-2013, 09:46 PM   #58
Marvin
Got Wood.

Well, I took a little different path ...

Once I got to using the wire wheel and got tired of that and looked at the $20 (or so) cost in spray paint, I decided to have the barrel sand blasted and powder coated. The shop I've used for other items made me a great offer and I with with it. So here it is ...

I went with green.

The inside sand blasted.

With the weber lid on it.

Working on the electrical components tonight and tomorrow, pics of that process coming shortly.

Old 05-17-2013, 10:31 PM   #59
Johnny_Crunch
Babbling Farker

Looking good!

Old 05-18-2013, 12:20 AM   #60
Marvin
Got Wood.

I didn't get as far as I would have liked to on the electrical components and box this evening but here is the start of it.

Drilled the hole on the side of the electrical box for the connector to hole the power cord.

I do not plan to hard wire the PID power and SSR connections. I want them to have two prong male plugs so that if I need to remove the PID housing or the electrical box housing from the barrel, I can just unplug. I cut a hole in the other side of the electrical box so that a receptacle could be mounted.

Tags
220v, Bake, electric, Element, uds