• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

First UDS - Completed with Pics!

RemoGaggi

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
Thank you to all those who posted on the Mother thread for the UDS. I'm still working my way through it (I'm on page 476). I posted earlier about picking up 2 of new unlined drums for $30. Here are the features of my build.

I made the charcoal basket from expanded metal I got at a metal supply company. The sheet I had was 12" x 48" - they sold me 2 of these sheets for $15 total. I bent it into a circle and secured it with stainless nuts and bolts. I attached it to the grill portion of the cheapo grill and wired it to the grill grate. The grate of the cheapo grill is very thin and probably won't last long. When it's time to upgrade to the Weber grate, I'll just snip the wires and bolt it to the Weber. If I had to do it over again, I'd probably skip the cheapo grill and just go with the Weber grate and pizza pan.

I drilled some holes all the way around in the ash pan for better air circulation

I used 2 thermometers. The one on the left is a 12" Turkey / candy thermometer. The one on the right is 3" long. Both are mounted just below the grate level and I will be able to see the temperature in the middle and also at outer edge. Also, the one on the right glows in the dark.

Here's a pic of the 2 probes extending into the UDS just below the grate. Note that the 12" thermometer is nearly dead center in the UDS.

For the exhaust, I calculated the area of a 2" hole and then drilled seven 1-1/4 inch holes, which is close enough to the area of a 2" hole. I attached a conduit cover to regulate the exhaust if needed. I've read that the exhaust should mostly be wide open, so I'll probably just close it when I'm done cooking to help smother the fire.

I added a nice wire basket I got from IKEA. It was only $2.99 in the kitchen section.

The lid hanger is made by just adding a couple of washers to the bolts from the handles. The handles are from the garage door area at HD. $4.99 for 2.

I used 2 ball valves and sealed up all drillings with hi-temp silicone. I also gave myself the option of using a heat deflector or water pan (not pictured) by having a lower grate. I was thinking about painting it, but I kinda like the silver look. I'm gonna spray PAM inside and out and fire it up this weekend to do a little burn in. I'll continue to season the outside occasionally with PAM and let it turn dark over time.

Here it is completed.

Great job? Are the thermometers removable? If not, how do you get the basket out?

Hey that is nice looking. I like the Ikea basket too. You have a very clean looking build. I am still finishing on mine.

So is that a Stainless steel 55 gal drum? It ain't got no ridges...:confused: I guess they come like that...

I think your idea of leaving it in the buff is great. I wouldn't cover up that shiny SS either!

Happy smoking!

Yes, the long thermometer is removable. I wrapped a little bit of silicone tape on the probe where it meets the back of the dial so that it stays snug when inserted into the fitting. It just pulls out. The other thermo doesn't get in the way.

My drums are not stainless, just raw untainted steel. Thanks for looking!

You had better paint that Drum it won't get hot enough to carbonize any PAM on the outside and I promise it will rust.

You had better paint that Drum it won't get hot enough to carbonize any PAM on the outside and I promise it will rust.

Yes, I was wondering if it would get hot enough. Maybe I will paint it with some rust oleum clear.

Very nice! I'm impressed.
Some clever ideas incorporated in it.
That's one big ole tall charcoal basket.

Back