MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 01-26-2013, 06:16 AM   #1
BigTone
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Default New uds build question

Hey folks, Just found the site and I'm loving it already. I am planning on building a uds smoker soon and it looks rather straight forward. I have seen some people add a piece of pipe with a valve to one of the four bottom vent holes so they did not have to bend over to adjust the air intake. I have a bad back so i love this idea, does it work efficiently? Any help and advice is greatly appreciated and I look forward to talking with you all !!!

~Anthony
BigTone is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-26-2013, 07:07 AM   #2
foam2
Full Fledged Farker

I tried the pipe with two elbows and then a ball valve but I found it added a lot of restriction when trying to cook at higher temps. I have since removed it.
foam2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 01-26-2013, 07:11 AM   #3
Flat_Rate
On the road to being a farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by foam2 View Post
I tried the pipe with two elbows and then a ball valve but I found it added a lot of restriction when trying to cook at higher temps. I have since removed it.
I had the same issue, I removed mine, it's not like you have to adjust a uds all the time anyway, set once and it's good for all day.

Old 01-26-2013, 07:14 AM   #4
Kloogee
Full Fledged Farker

I have never tried the riser pipe, so I can't comment on that. But I end up using my foot to adjust the valve on mine, so it really hasn't been necessary for me. Good luck with your build. Make sure to post pics of it.
Kloogee is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-26-2013, 11:01 AM   #5
jrn
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kloogee View Post
I have never tried the riser pipe, so I can't comment on that. But I end up using my foot to adjust the valve on mine, so it really hasn't been necessary for me. Good luck with your build. Make sure to post pics of it.
Yeah that's what I do too. Use the toe of my boot.

Bigtone - there's also another popular option. Instead of running a pipe up the barrel, you can instead attach a rod to the valve. Run the rod up the barrel. Then attach the valve handle to the top of the rod. Search "redneck uds".

Old 01-26-2013, 11:17 AM   #6
Swamp Donkeyz BBQ
is one Smokin' Farker

I only put the pipe and elbow on one inlet. The other two I close using my hook for the coal basket. I use the extended inlet for fine tuning once I'm up to temp. Works fine for me.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk 21359220636.221319.jpg
Swamp Donkeyz BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-26-2013, 11:17 AM   #7
jrn
Full Fledged Farker

"If a redneck wanted to build a uds". Page 4 has a good pic of what I'm talking about.

Old 01-26-2013, 11:18 AM   #8
Swamp Donkeyz BBQ
is one Smokin' Farker

Not sure why the pic showed up sideways.
Swamp Donkeyz BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-26-2013, 12:22 PM   #9
BigTone
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

sounds like I should skip the pipe, I was afraid I was going to have to keep playing with the valve all day but it sounds like once its set it holds temp so the valve w/o the pipe will be fine. I will post pictures when its done, its like -10 here in upstate NY so im going to wait until it warms up a little. thanks for the help, ~Anthony
BigTone is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-26-2013, 01:01 PM   #10
Kenbo
Found some matches.

You could try over sizing the pipe. I did a 3/4"x1" street elbow to 1"x6" riser pipe and topped it with a 1" valve. I can adjust the handle with my foot and still see the valve to gauge how much adjustment I'm giving it. I have no issues getting well above 300deg.

Also, this time of year is the reason we moved from the Hyde Park area. It was 80 here in Austin yesterday! Grilled chicken yesterday... in shorts.

Old 01-26-2013, 01:05 PM   #11
Pappy
is Blowin Smoke!

Put an extention on the valve handle, so you don't have to bend over to adjust. No extension pipe.

Old 01-26-2013, 03:11 PM   #12
Bludawg
somebody shut me the fark up.

When I first built mine I cooked on it for a year then I add the Fat man mod to be honest IMO it cooks better with it.