• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.
Nope, just dry stacked and firebrick lined

Hmm, okay, if it were me and i were to put all that awesome work into that metal work i would at least fill a few of the blocks with bags of concrete. But thats just me. Regardless good job.

Hmm, okay, if it were me and i were to put all that awesome work into that metal work i would at least fill a few of the blocks with bags of concrete. But thats just me. Regardless good job.

I originally thought that too, but it turns out that it is very sturdy. I think the fact that it is almost 6 feet by 3 feet makes it sturdy and then with the weight of the grill, I am confident it isn't going anywhere.

Very nice build indeed, makes my pit look SUPER ghetto :mrgreen:

Perhaps I'm missing something, but.....My only concern is how deep it is, gonna have to use A LOT of fuel. I realize the grates lowed down into the pit, but I wouldn't want to have to cook below the exterior surface.

All.....first of all I want to say thanks you for this site and what a journey this has been! When I first had the idea to build our Santa Maria it was just that.....an idea. After I saw a santa maria grill at a party i went to about 2 years ago i knew right there I had to have one. After that party I worked on trying to find out how I was going to build one for myself. Every few weeks I would look online for ideas and how to cook on them etc...

Then came the day I found bbq-brethren.com and I believe I posted something like "santa maria build ideas" and after a few posts I received a PM from IgotGas aka-Chad. He offered to help me build my santa maria and I was somewhat shocked that there was such a msg. He had the shop, the tools and talent. I took him up on the offer and from there the amazing adventure started. I was given the opportunity to learn how to use certain tools and even weld for the first time...but that's a story for another day.

Chad showed me how important and great this site was to the point that I had to join. This site has provided so much information and insight from all of you that it truly means a lot and I thank you all. This is why I decided to become a member.

Our first big bbq will be for about 40 people this weekend for my daughters 4th birthday party. Still trying to decide what to cook...been thinkin tri-tip and chicken and dogs for the kids. Any ideas? I'm sure Chad or myself will be taking pics of the cookout and will post as soon as possible.

I have raised the fire pit and it's not the prettiest inside but it looks decent and works well after the first test run. I will make it look pretty after this weekend. There is just to much to do and not enought time. I'll be cooking with almond since it's such a universal simple hot wood.

So on that note.... I want to thank Chad from the bottom of my heart for everything you've done for me and the patience you showed when I changed something or added ideas :). I'm glad we've become good friends and look forward to hangin out and taking our kids places and thank you to Michelle for her patience of me taking up her husbands time :).

To you Chad.......5...1...5...0 somebody call the popo............THANKYOU!

-Mike

Outstanding build, and how great to make a great friend from this site. You just gotta love the Brethren. Looking forward to the pics of the first cook. Now that the build is done, and you and Chad have some extra time on your hands, put aside a few hours on Nov the 17th and join us at the Bash :thumb:. I'll even have my Santa Maria grill fired up.

Dave....thanks! Chad just told me a couple hours ago about the bash. Sounds like it may be a go for us. Will update u as soon as we can solidify it all.

Mike

Very nice build indeed, makes my pit look SUPER ghetto :mrgreen:

Perhaps I'm missing something, but.....My only concern is how deep it is, gonna have to use A LOT of fuel. I realize the grates lowed down into the pit, but I wouldn't want to have to cook below the exterior surface.

Super ghetto.. Pahlease! we wanted a good working height and then when Mike ran some test burns we realized just that. So Mike worked something out to raise up the fire. I am not sure what it was but I do know it is temporary and we will fix that after we break it in this weekend.

To you Chad.......5...1...5...0 somebody call the popo............

-Mike

I will get you for this ^^^^^. Mike I am glad that I could help you. I mean after all you built it not me:thumb: I was just along for the ride. Can't wait to fire that bad boy up this weekend!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Oh and after this weekend I think we should tear it all apart. I just know that there is something off somewhere..:becky:

Outstanding build, and how great to make a great friend from this site. You just gotta love the Brethren. Looking forward to the pics of the first cook. Now that the build is done, and you and Chad have some extra time on your hands, put aside a few hours on Nov the 17th and join us at the Bash :thumb:. I'll even have my Santa Maria grill fired up.

Your right, you gotta love this place. It is justa big family. It was very cool to meet a new friend and it was pretty awesome seeing our girls connect like they did. That last pic was taken just minutes after they met. A good time was definitely had building this thing. And as far as the Bash goes we will be there, even if I have to kidnap him:becky:

Can you please explain a little how the spring tensioner works? How to replicate? The build is awesome & I want to flatter you by borrowing a great idea. BTW, I'm in the middle of my build & want the spring tension over the ratchet system. Your help would be appreciated.

Hi SmokieDylan....first off the credit goes to MartyLeach here in the brethren who had it on his build and answered lots of our questions to help us out. THANK YOU MARTY!

I will try to give you what I know and maybe Marty can give you more info if needed.

We have a 1" solid rod that we made a 3/4 thread on for about 3.5" on the rod we then made washers that had a 1" ID and slipped that on first then we got a porch swing spring from home depot for a few dollars and cut that in half for each side, when then put another washer on there and then finally a 3/4 ID nut to hold everything in place. The more you you tighten it the more the spring compresses and the spring presses up against the washer where it meets the shaft that the rod goes into causing more or less friction to slow/stop the grates.

I have 2 grates on mine 1 of the grates weighs in around 68 lbs. the other about 40 lbs. We've noticed that the larger grate will need a larger spring due to the weight and the smaller grate could have probably worked with a 1/4 of the spring that it has now as it holds very well.

Hope this help!

Mike

JR+Manufacturing+%284%29.JPG

Please get busy on one of these please.

You got skills man!

Outstanding build, I think that the pit looks just about right for what I learned on. Tim, the gentlemen who taught me, always cooked below the rim of the pit, that was important to them. They said that was why you had the cranks, to lower and raise the meat out of the pit. I love that large fire door that I see as well, again, quite close to the pits I learned on, you can actually open and shovel coals into the fire chamber that way.

Other than the fact that it is ridiculously clean, I can see some very good "Santa Maria" style cooks coming off of that pit. Now, if you build yourself a nice little two level kiln, with a fie grate between the two levels, you can burn the oak splits in the kiln, knock the embers down to the lower level and shovel the hot embers into the cook pit. Allows for longer cooks and less wood consumption, plus, you can control the heat a lot better. Or not.

Back