MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Old 08-23-2012, 09:06 AM   #1
boogiesnap
Babbling Farker

Default i need a brisket

hey guys, i think i've been granted another shot by my comptroller.

i think i need to cook a better quality brisket than i have been. i've been using RD, choice or their "angus", whichever i felt was best that day.

i can cook an OK brisket but don't have any illusions of getting a top 5 in the category however if i could improve my score a bit it would obviously help my overall.

SRF is out, just too pricey. i've talked with endicott in brooklyn and paradise meats, very helpful people both, but still a tad steep with shipping.

could anyone suggest a step up from RD in the tristate area in a reasonable price range? i can't seem to find a local butcher who can provide what i'm looking for.

TIA

avatar by grillman. patent pending. :mad2::becky:
boogiesnap is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-23-2012, 09:18 AM   #2
Jacked UP BBQ
Babbling Farker

What comp?

Ocean County Pig Assassins competition team retired and is now known as Jacked UP BBQ

Fec 750
Fec 100
Large Spicewine
Jacked UP BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-23-2012, 09:24 AM   #3
jaestar
Full Fledged Farker

You can also ask your local Sam's club to order in a case of prime briskets. They carry them at the store here. It can be misleading because their meat is called something like Sam's Choice Meat but the briskets are stamped prime by USDA.

Thanks from:--->
Old 08-23-2012, 09:33 AM   #4
boogiesnap
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaestar View Post
You can also ask your local Sam's club to order in a case of prime briskets. They carry them at the store here. It can be misleading because their meat is called something like Sam's Choice Meat but the briskets are stamped prime by USDA.
interesting, i had no idea. i will look into that. thank you.

Old 08-23-2012, 09:34 AM   #5
boogiesnap
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacked UP BBQ View Post
What comp?
new london.

Old 08-23-2012, 12:46 PM   #6
Wampus
somebody shut me the fark up.

Creekstone prime?
Cheaper than SRF, but a definite step up from RD CAB.

http://store.creekstonefarms.com/category-s/51.htm

Old 08-23-2012, 12:52 PM   #7
Fatback Joe
Babbling Farker

http://www.williams-sonoma.com/products/washugyu-beef-brisket/?pkey=e%7Cbrisket%7C8%7Cbest%7C0%7C1%7C24%7C%7C2&c m_src=PRODUCTSEARCH||NoFacet-_-NoFacet-_-Feature_Recipe_Rule-_-

They are on the small side, but the taste is great IMO. I have ordered a few over the last couple of years and have been pleased.

Good luck!

WSM
Medium Spicewine
Stumps GF223
Humphrey's GF Tank II
24 x 60 Shirley Fabrication
Fatback Joe is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-23-2012, 01:09 PM   #8
ique
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by boogiesnap View Post

i think i need to cook a better quality brisket than i have been. i've been using RD, choice or their "angus", whichever i felt was best that day.

TIA
I'd stick with the Depot brisket. Find a nice 18+lber and wet age it. Not sure cooking a "better quality" brisket for the first time at a comp will help
ique is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-23-2012, 03:05 PM   #9
boogiesnap
Babbling Farker

thanks guys.

Old 08-23-2012, 03:28 PM   #10
mr dirts bbq
Full Fledged Farker

+1 on IQUE, i just did his brisket recipe form his book 2 weeks ago and it was outragous, and i cooked at 17lb from RD
charbroil offset, custom trailer pit, 46" vermont castings gasser, 18" kettle, big poppa smokers engineered drum kit smoker than was never picked up = NEW TOY! :becky: and last but not least: a never ending 20' comp trailer project:doh:
mr dirts bbq is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-23-2012, 05:12 PM   #11
boogiesnap
Babbling Farker

i'm stealing my daughters kindle fire tonight and buying that damn book already!

Old 08-23-2012, 06:03 PM   #12
Red Valley BBQ
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : Sean

I also agree with IQUE.

The problem may not be with the quality of the brisket as using better quality does not necessarily mean an improvement in scores. It took me almost four years in competition to finally get a handle on the brisket category. I used RD "Angus" for most of that time. Once I improved my technique, my scores started coming up. Only after I was comfortable with my new found technique and started getting calls on a regular basis did I move up in the quality of briskets I use.

Old 08-23-2012, 06:25 PM   #13
boogiesnap
Babbling Farker

i have heard that philosophy before, and agree.

BUT, i need improved results NOW. pressure is on to perform in order to continue...

with that said, i think my technique is sound, and i'll be honest, i took ryan(big t'z) and joe's(tippycanoe) class and pretty much use their process for brisket, because it was better than mine in predictability and consistency. i haven't had their success though....

thus my quest for even a slight bump in results.

i will, however, take the advice given here and in PM's about aging a RD and test it out.

thanks again everybody!

i should add, their teachings hasn't failed me, it was exceptional, but there a few things they do i simply cannot. so i'm looking to compensate a bit.

Last edited by boogiesnap; 08-23-2012 at 07:05 PM..

Old 08-23-2012, 06:38 PM   #14
Outnumbered
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ique View Post
I'd stick with the Depot brisket. Find a nice 18+lber and wet age it. Not sure cooking a "better quality" brisket for the first time at a comp will help
Chris, I agree with that for a first timer, etc. But are you cooking Wagyu, prime or just choice. I have a neighbor in the meat business and he says prime brisket is a misnomer. Says to just go with choice. My Wagyu briskets have absolutely sucked to this point. I don't like them and the scores agree with that.

When I die, my goal is to have a visible smoke ring when the coroner cuts me open for the autopsy.
Outnumbered is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-23-2012, 06:56 PM   #15
ique
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outnumbered View Post
Chris, I agree with that for a first timer, etc. But are you cooking Wagyu, prime or just choice. I have a neighbor in the meat business and he says prime brisket is a misnomer. Says to just go with choice. My Wagyu briskets have absolutely sucked to this point. I don't like them and the scores agree with that.

I cook wagyu. My comment was more oriented to cooking a grade/type of meat for the first time ever at a contest can be risky.

If you choose to go a different route you really should order at least three of em. Practice on at least one of them and save the best one for the contest.

Given budget is a concern I still hold that trolling RD for 18+ with a killer flat is the way to go.
ique is offline   Reply With Quote