MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 12-06-2011, 10:34 AM   #46
Kernscookin
On the road to being a farker

1st year Lang 60 stickburner here. Thanks for all the information. Y'all are so much smarter than me. Several times my ribs have tasted smokey. Alot of good ideas here, thanks for the help.
Kernscookin is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->

Old 12-06-2011, 11:04 AM   #47
speers90
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kernscookin View Post
1st year Lang 60 stickburner here. Thanks for all the information. Y'all are so much smarter than me. Several times my ribs have tasted smokey. Alot of good ideas here, thanks for the help.
Just keep on trying new techniques! I know I completely ruined a chicken not to long ago because I was in a hurry and didn't get my fire going properly. I smoked that thing into oblivion, it was awful.

Looking back at it, my main problem was using splits that were to big. Now I use much smaller splits and end up with a smaller but much hotter fire, which in turn gives me the amount of heat that I need but without to much smoke.

The Beast: 500 Gallon Homemade Reverse Flow
[url]http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=187401[/url]
Weber 22"
Cajun Fryer FF2
speers90 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-06-2011, 02:10 PM   #48
42BBQ
is One Chatty Farker

Kerns,
What I've concluded is that proper wood fired/stickburning BBQ is an art form. When executed properly it is killer but the learning curve is steeper that most other styles. By no means have I "arrived" but I LOVE the challenge of it. Adds a whole new dimension to cooking.

Old 12-06-2011, 02:50 PM   #49
Kernscookin

Believe me, I have over smoked several pieces of meat. Adding the layer of smaller expanded metal so that charcoal doesn't fall thru will help. Smaller splits will help too. You are right about it being an art form, I'm just not an Artist yet. But I promise to keep trying. I paid alot of money for that Lang 60 and I will get it worked out

Old 12-06-2011, 03:07 PM   #50
nmayeux
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kernscookin View Post
Believe me, I have over smoked several pieces of meat. Adding the layer of smaller expanded metal so that charcoal doesn't fall thru will help. Smaller splits will help too. You are right about it being an art form, I'm just not an Artist yet. But I promise to keep trying. I paid alot of money for that Lang 60 and I will get it worked out
If you have any questions regarding the Lang, let me know. I have been running mine now several years and have probably learned most of the tricks by now!
Lang 60 Marie Laveau
Deep South Single Chamber Glenda
WSM 22.5 Asmarelda
22.5 OTG Samantha
Weber Genesis Mocha
nmayeux is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-06-2011, 04:48 PM   #51
Jay 41
Got Wood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by speers90 View Post
Almost any cooker could potentially be a "stick burner", it just means that the primary fuel source is wood splits. Although, most stick burners end up being offset cookers made out of pretty heavy steel.
Thankyou, guess mine is a home made stick burner then.
Jay 41 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-06-2011, 04:56 PM   #52
speers90
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay 41 View Post
Thankyou, guess mine is a home made stick burner then.
Yes, I would say that definately qualifies!!! Let's see some more pictures of that bad boy.

The Beast: 500 Gallon Homemade Reverse Flow
[url]http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=187401[/url]
Weber 22"
Cajun Fryer FF2
speers90 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-06-2011, 05:11 PM   #53
Jay 41
Got Wood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by speers90 View Post
Yes, I would say that definately qualifies!!! Let's see some more pictures of that bad boy.
It holds temp. pretty steady.
Jay 41 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-06-2011, 05:49 PM   #54
Kernscookin

Noah,
I just went to your website. If you have had a Lang for years maybe you can help me. Alot of these pictures are of 36" smokers. Can you keep a Lang 60 at 250 degrees with a small charcoal fire and throwing a 2" diameter, 12" long stick of wood in every once in a while. Cause I've used my cooker probably 15 times since I've had it and I always have a bigger fire with more coals than they are showing in these pictures. If I'm planning an all day cook I build a pretty good fire, let it burn down then add wood occationally, but I don't know that it is ever as small as the ones I'm seeing on this thread. Comment? Also are you competing with your Lang 60. I am considering doing a couple of competitions for fun only a year.

Old 12-06-2011, 06:45 PM   #55
JiveTurkey
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : JT

For me I start with some wine barrel wood staves I got from a friend in Napa, some good beer, and small HOT fire!

It starts like this:

And burns like this:

I almost sold the pit last summer, man I'm glad I didn't I sure to do love it. My favorite thing to do is get a raging hot fire real close to the opening of the barrel and grill steaks from the inside (not the grate over the fire). That allows the same heat to hit the steaks but without the flare ups yet all of the same smokey good taste from being cooked over real wood like a Santa Maria pit.
JiveTurkey is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-06-2011, 07:16 PM   #56
BBQ Bandit
Babbling Farker

Kerns,

If you noticed my signature, have owned and cooked on 3 different Langs over the past 4 years. The short answer is yes, a charcoal basket will extend cooking times with charcoal used as the primary fuel. A full bag of charcoal would last about 3-4 hours in the Lang 48 and 60 I had.

Here's a few pics of it... http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...50&postcount=5

Former smokers;
Lang 84 Deluxe kitchen, Lang 60 Mobile - The Damsel II, Lang 48 Patio - The Damsel, Bubba Keg Grill - RIP, Double Barrel Smoker and a BSKD
BBQ Bandit is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-06-2011, 07:37 PM   #57
Kernscookin

Thanks Bandit. I have actually made myself a charcoal basket very similar to yours but have yet to use it. I work all week and then have family over to eat what I smoke. Haven't had a lot of time for experimentation. I've been afraid if the charcoal didn't work I would be behind on my smoke. But hearing from you I will have the confidence to use it. Thanks.

Old 12-06-2011, 07:40 PM   #58
SirPorkaLot
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : John

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBQ Bandit View Post
A full bag of charcoal would last about 3-4 hours in the Lang 48 and 60 I had.
Ouch!
I guess that is due to the size of the cook chamber? Or is it reverse flow (Aka fuel eater)

If a large bag of briquettes don't get me through a cook, I'd be bumming.

I guess if you are keeping her full of meat it would be worth it.

Old 12-06-2011, 07:48 PM   #59
BBQ Bandit
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirPorkaLot View Post
Ouch!
I guess that is due to the size of the cook chamber? Or is it reverse flow (Aka fuel eater)

If a large bag of briquettes don't get me through a cook, I'd be bumming.

I guess if you are keeping her full of meat it would be worth it.
Believe it is also based the mass of steel to heat plus being an offset... less efficient.

The small Lang 48 patio (4 ft chamber) weighs 800 lbs. empty.
The Lang 60 mobile was 1,200 lbs... and the 84 kitchen over 1,500 lbs.

The heating demands alone to heat up 1/4" steel seems alot ... considering the reverse flow baffle serves also as a radiating energy source.

Once up to temp... maintaining the heat is less demanding... hence the small and hot burning fires churning thin blue smoke

Former smokers;
Lang 84 Deluxe kitchen, Lang 60 Mobile - The Damsel II, Lang 48 Patio - The Damsel, Bubba Keg Grill - RIP, Double Barrel Smoker and a BSKD

Last edited by BBQ Bandit; 12-06-2011 at 09:47 PM..
BBQ Bandit is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 12-06-2011, 08:55 PM   #60
42BBQ
is One Chatty Farker

Cheaper for me to burn wood vs coals so I'm trying to master stickburning. Also using a cooker similar in size to a Lang 36 (Meadowcreek SQ36)

Tags
Stickburners