cutting through the bone

boogiesnap

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
sometimes, even though i buy the straightest sparerib bones possible, there's a curve at the meaty end that i can't see, and sometimes, to make a straight cut, my knife goes right through it, leaving that little triangle sliver of bone on one rib.

my question is: as long as i remove that sliver, being meticulous not leave any behind, and the slice is clean(my knife'll go through a bone and i won't even notice). can this rib be turned in or is it an absolute no-no

thanks for your thoughts.

Don't use such a sharp knife!!!!. Find the bone and go with it. Last year at Degaque I was at the last bone on a rack at turnin and it took a 90 degree turn. Freeked me out!!! Turned it on end n cut around it. (apparently the pig had a broken rib).......1 appearance score from a 180!!...I would never cut through a bone on ribs!!!!

thanks, i agree with not cutting right through a whole curved bone.

i more mean just slicing off a small sliver.

you can see what i mean here, maybe.

Last edited:
I wouldn't detract points if the bone is gone, but leave it on and it'll drop to a 5-6 on tenderness!

What?How are you judging tenderness on appearance? Knife skills have nothing to do with it. As far as question goes, practice cutting more slabs.Steve.

What?How are you judging tenderness on appearance? Knife skills have nothing to do with it. As far as question goes, practice cutting more slabs.Steve.

Who said ANYTHING about "appearance"???

I stated that I would detract points on "TENDERNESS".

Maybe I don't understand, but I thought you were saying that you would deduct to a 5-6 if you saw the bone? Confused. Steve.

Sounds like a fair question. Hard to see how anything you can see should be used to change a tenderness score.
Also, it seems to me that you should be scoring the tenderness of the meat, not the bone.

Maybe I don't understand, but I thought you were saying that you would deduct to a 5-6 if you saw the bone? Confused. Steve.

Now I'm confused! WHERE did I say that I saw the bone???

Sounds like a fair question. Hard to see how anything you can see should be used to change a tenderness score.
Also, it seems to me that you should be scoring the tenderness of the meat, not the bone.

The problem is that the bone fragment is not always observed prior to taking a bite. When scoring for appearance MOST rib boxes have the ribs stacked and you don't see the sides of the ribs. Once you take a bite and realize you have a bone fragment in your mouth you are supposed to judge the tenderness of what is in your mouth. Only dropping the score a point or two is better than judging the entry a 2 (inedible). (IMHO)

Now I'm confused! WHERE did I say that I saw the bone???

The problem is that the bone fragment is not always observed prior to taking a bite. When scoring for appearance MOST rib boxes have the ribs stacked and you don't see the sides of the ribs. Once you take a bite and realize you have a bone fragment in your mouth you are supposed to judge the tenderness of what is in your mouth. Only dropping the score a point or two is better than judging the entry a 2 (inedible). (IMHO)

I'm with ya Tom, a bone fragment would be bad IMO. Or mabye I'm confused as well....

but assuming the bone fragment has been removed, it's pretty easy.

which would be preferable, a slight slice through the bone and a straight rib cut or an angled rib cut with no bone slice?

clearly ideally it is a straight bone, but we don't live in a perfect world.

To the original question: The rib can absolutely be turned in and should be judged on the criteria set forth by the sanctioning body. For example, in a KCBS turn-in your "nicked" rib should be easy to hide and really shouldn't hurt your appearance score (unless you put it right in front of the judging eyes).

I don't see how taste and texture would be hurt unless there were unseen bone fragments still in the rib.

Back