Paul Kirk

BTW Merl was in the room and I'm pretty sure Linda was as well. They're both friends and I understand if they don't want to comment on what happened, but they both know the truth.

BTW Merl was in the room and I'm pretty sure Linda was as well. They're both friends and I understand if they don't want to comment on what happened, but they both know the truth.

This was the same board meeting where the now infamous "BOD Nepotism" policy first was presented.

Myself, KC Bobby, Roo, and Bride of Roo were all in attendance at that meeting.

Ray's presentation was more of a "giving back" to KCBS. Other than expenses, I don't recall him wanting to make any real money off of this.

For anyone who has uttered the phrase "good ol' boys" in reference to the KCBS BOD... remember Ray's story.

Does anyone know Paul's affiliation to the CATS program which seems to be his only education project?

<Rumor Alert> I had heard that there was a personal or even family relationship in there. There's nothing necessarily wrong with that, but would like to know.

I requested half of the advance and suggested Carolyn get the other half with KCBS getting any royalties after the advance was earned out. I learned that night that there had been a substantial sum recently paid to someone to gather the history of KCBS info and that was requested to be paid back first and I think we all agreed on that because we could have used the info.
It would have been a decent payday for me but I would have done way more than my share of the work. It would have been an excellent deal for everyone involved and my agent was chomping at the bit to take the proposal to the open market.

As a heads up, I emailed Paul two days ago regarding the election and his reporting as a committee head. I haven't heard back. I'm not going to read too much into that due to the holidays. I'll post his response if I get it.

Eric

Ray,

No denying. I thought your book deal was great for KCBS. It was a shock when Paul brought his deal to the table. Enough said. Hope to see you in January.

Thanks Linda.
I'm staying home this year. I've just been kicked in the nuts too many times to care anymore.

Look I don't chime in much on the KCBS because I decided not to renew my membership. If this election goes a little better I will consider rejoining.

But Ray's comment is systematic of a bad situation. No one who is a member of a an organization, especially one like the KCBS should ever be made to feel they were kicked in the nuts.

This comment isn't directed towards anyone board member but more towards the whole organizations governing methods and processes. I've seen this time and time again when the member of leadership begin to think they know more than the membership and care more about themselves than the membership.

Please do not think I'm pointing fingers at individuals because I'm not. I don't know enough about the situation to do that. I've been involved in youth organizations for years. And I know when the board members forget that "it's about the kids" things get messed up.

In this case it appears, from where I'm sitting, the Board has forgotten that it's "about the BBQuers."

Okay...I'm going back into hiding. I really want a change so I feel like my money isn't wasted when I pay my dues. But then again I can get a Restauarant Depot memberhship now...

As a heads up, I emailed Paul two days ago regarding the election and his reporting as a committee head. I haven't heard back. I'm not going to read too much into that due to the holidays. I'll post his response if I get it.

Eric

Read into it what you will. Paul wants to be re-elected so why not be available? This is just as much the election season as it is the holiday season for nine of us. All my emails come to my phone so I know within minutes that I have them and can respond. Why not Paul?

Look I don't chime in much on the KCBS because I decided not to renew my membership. If this election goes a little better I will consider rejoining.

But Ray's comment is systematic of a bad situation. No one who is a member of a an organization, especially one like the KCBS should ever be made to feel they were kicked in the nuts.

This comment isn't directed towards anyone board member but more towards the whole organizations governing methods and processes. I've seen this time and time again when the member of leadership begin to think they know more than the membership and care more about themselves than the membership.

Please do not think I'm pointing fingers at individuals because I'm not. I don't know enough about the situation to do that. I've been involved in youth organizations for years. And I know when the board members forget that "it's about the kids" things get messed up.

In this case it appears, from where I'm sitting, the Board has forgotten that it's "about the BBQuers."

Okay...I'm going back into hiding. I really want a change so I feel like my money isn't wasted when I pay my dues. But then again I can get a Restauarant Depot memberhship now...
Well said, Larry.

I just want a KCBS that is less like a soap opera, and more of an organization of people promoting the art of BBQ. And not the promotion of ONE guys BBQ.

I just want a KCBS that is less like a soap opera, and more of an organization of people promoting the art of BBQ. And not the promotion of ONE guys BBQ.

:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap

January 2008 I was cooking here in Lakeland and I approached Carolyn about writing a new KCBS Cookbook together. I told her I'd gather the recipes and write the book if she'd be responsible for the "History of KCBS". I told her I'd just completed The NFL Gameday Cookbook and thought we were in great position to get a good book deal, but I wanted her to like the idea or I wouldn't bother pursuing it. She said she did like the idea and wanted to pursue it. So I was going to be in KC for the banquet a couple weeks later and would attend the board meeting to present the idea. I was put on the agenda by Carolyn and I went to the meeting in a conference room at some hotel and presented my idea.

As the board was discussing it Paul Kirk spoke up that the board didn't know it but he and the other people involved in the first KCBS Cookbook had already been working on a new KCBS Cookbook, but that work had stopped when Gary Wells got sick. (Gary had been deceased for a while at this time). My presentation continued with a little Q&A and we all left on good terms. After a couple weeks I hadn't heard anything so I called Carolyn and she told me that she was just too busy to do the project but maybe we could revisit it at a later date. Next I heard there was a new KCBS Cookbook deal and Carolyn, Ardie Davis, and Paul Kirk were doing it.

Coincidence? You decide but my arse was very sore. Please remember this story when the new KCBS Cookbook gets here and if you have a copy of my NFL book compare the two.

Mods, I can vouch for all of this first hand.

Unbelievable. :eek: How, in Cliff's name, did the KCBS BoD manage to let this deal slip through their fingers? Not knocking the guy, and I have 2 of his books, but how in the world would anyone think a book authored by Paul Kirk could get the audience that Dr. BBQ can get? This is criminal - and I know I'm prone to hyperbole and BS - but I mean this is bad, if true. And from Linda's remarks, it looks like it is. Crying @$$ shame!

There is more
But I will not share third hand info
That I can not verify

this is why my wife is a member(membership came with cbj class) and i am not. i don't play stupid games

Back