• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Super low and slow brisket question

daninnewjersey

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
Buddy of mine wants to smoke a brisket in the warning cabinet of his smoker and cook at like 175-200 max. He knows all about hot and fast and just wanted to try this super slowmo way. He's cooking a flat like 4-5lbs. Any guesstimates on how long per pound he should expect at that temp range?

I've run low overnight so it didn't overshoot and then crank in the morning when I had to be out the door by like 8am. At 200 I'd guess maybe 8-11hrs for that size. Hadn't done one that small at that temp before.

I know a guy that knows a guy that owned Q joints had one of those conveyor cookers. Everything Q was 180 degrees for 18 hours in green hickory smoke. He'd start checking at 16.

There is a whole legion of cooks out there that keep temps below 210 in an effort to not lose moisture

I don't know if I'd go so far as to say legion ....

That low and slow on a small flat is most likely going to result in beef jerky unless the cooking humidity is just right, and even then I'm thinking foil would be required at some point.

I cook with a dry cooker so maybe that's why my opinion is such.

Will take quite a long time. Hrs per pound calculation doesn't work on partial flats as the thickness of the brisket determines the cook time, not its weight.

The finished IT will be well under what most of us normally experience. And yes, it will get to probe tender even with that low an IT. The breakdown of connective tissue is a function of temperature over a period of time, or time at temp, same difference.

If I had to guess, if the flat came from an avg sized brisket, he's probably looking at 14-16 hrs.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

At that temp range? It will never cook through. I remember cooking a 3 pound butt and a 2.5 pound chuck in my kettle at 230 or so. The stall never ended and I had to wrap in order to finish the cook. Your friend's idea might work only as long as he's not wedded to the notion of doing the entire cook in that environment. He'll have to finish wrapped in a hotter cooking chamber. As was mentioned up-thread - unless his goal is to make a grisly beef jerky.

You'd have to be above 180° as that is were connective tissues starts to break down into collagen. Being it's a flat, not a whole packer you also won't have as much protective fat.

I agree with the others I would go to higher cooking temperature 225 - 250 to prevent it from drying out.

Back