My turn in brisket

jgh1204

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
Selma, TX(You better slow down when you hit town)
from smokin on the rio. This was about a 10lb packer. It went on at 2AM, smoked for 10 hours, pulled at 190 and probe inserted easily. Wrapped in foil and coolered, then sliced at 4pm for a 4:30pm turn in. Used texasbbqrub with mustard and worcestershire sauce. Pecan wood and kingsford for fuel.

I did 3 briskets and this one was clearly the best. Did not place in the top 10, but made final table which was top 20 out of 77 or so teams. $1000 first prize for each category, so there were a lot of out of area teams that made the trip to the valley.

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=1297&stc=1&d=1141096179

Attachments

• turn in brisket small jpg.jpg
    turn in brisket small jpg.jpg
    72.6 KB · Views: 156
That looks very good. Congrats on a great showing.

Good looking display makes me hungry and top 20 to boot. Good show. Thanks for the picture.

I'm not gonna find that at breakfast! Looks good!

jgh1204 said:
I guess I need to work on the bark.
I have been not foiling latly great bark but you really have to stay with it
letting it rest in the hot box 3 plus hours

Rookie question: why do you pull it off at 190* and wrap it in foil and stick it in a cooler for 4 hrs? Why not just start it later and have it finish closer to the hand in time? I'm not trying to second guess anyone here. I'm a meathead compared to most of you. I've never competed, so I 'm just askin'

The brisket looks great by the way!

bbqpigskin said:
Rookie question: why do you pull it off at 190* and wrap it in foil and stick it in a cooler for 4 hrs? Why not just start it later and have it finish closer to the hand in time? I'm not trying to second guess anyone here. I'm a meathead compared to most of you. I've never competed, so I 'm just askin'

The brisket looks great by the way!

Dry cooler makes the cool down take longer. Keeping in the range of breakdown longer, making tender moist brisket.

Back