MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 08-26-2013, 08:04 AM   #1
jamus34
Full Fledged Farker

Default Shredded beef Q

I made Pepper Beef stout yesterday which came out pretty good for a first attempt.

I also was trying to make shredded beef (as I had 2 chuckies) however it didn't reach the level of being able to shred.

When you are cooking a chuck to make shredded beef is it supposed to be the same way as doing a shoulder or is it different?

I think I might not have cooked it long enough as I was starting to run out of fuel (used lump instead of briqs in the WSM) but I was wondering what changes need to be made compared to cooking a pork shoulder.

22.5 OTS, 22.5 WSM, SJG (and soon to have the tamale pot mini-WSM conversion built)

Stealth gray Thermopen

jamus34 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-26-2013, 08:51 AM   #2
NickTheGreat
is Blowin Smoke!

I've never done a chuck, but have done a brisket like that. And I always try to cook my brisket to that "probe tender" feel.

Old 08-26-2013, 09:29 AM   #3
Smokey Lonesome
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : Bill

Did 10-12 lbs of chuckies yesterday on BGE and they were the best I've done. Eacn was 3-4 lbs injected with Butchers Prime Brisket Injection and rested 4 hours before coating with Tasty Licks Black Barts. Cooked at 275 for about 3+ hours until 165-170 degrees, then placed in foil pan and covered with HD foil. Continued cooking for another 2.5 hours (205 degrees) when probed like butter and set for 3 hours in blankets/cooler before pulling.

[I]The secret of success is to do the common things uncommonly well.[/I] [SIZE=1][B][I]- John D. Rockefeller[/I][/B][/SIZE]
Smokey Lonesome is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-26-2013, 09:50 AM   #4
Tonybel
Babbling Farker

I did one yesterday. Took about 6 hours @ 250 and it shredded easily.

Old 08-26-2013, 01:10 PM   #5
klaatu
Found some matches.

Every piece of meat is differant but 6-7 hrs @ 250ish and it seems to shred for me.
klaatu is offline   Reply With Quote