Confused:Restaurant Brisket

Blah64

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
I am pretty new to this BBQ stuff, so I might just be ignorant.

Anyways, I just had some great Brisket at a new place in San Jose (Bray Butcher Block & Bistro).

Very untraditional flavor profiles and stuff. So definitely made for NorCal, but I still enjoyed it.

While eating, I was shocked to see it was still pink throughout, like it was cooked to "medium" doneness. It was tender & moist; I loved it, but I didn't understand it.

Apparently, they smoke the whole brisket packer at 140 degrees for only 14 hours in an electric smoker. The temperature made sense to me, since that matches the color of the meat I saw, but that time just blew my mind. I didn't think a whole packer could be cooked that quickly at that low of a temp.

Is there something I'm missing? Has anyone ever cooked a brisket like that before?

Last edited:
Was it tough as nails?

To me, brisket should be that "melt in your mouth fatty goodness".

Sounds like they tried to cook it like tri tip.

Very untraditional flavor profiles and stuff. So definitely made for NorCal, but I still enjoyed it.

How about a little explanation on that statement. Just curious what it means about definitely for "NorCal."

How about a little explanation on that statement. Just curious what it means about definitely for "NorCal."

It was a fusion type place, which seems to be very popular around here.

Their BBQ sauce was 'strawberry chipotle' (of which the BBQ meat was covered in).
Besides the brisket, they had things like jerk chicken, shrimp skewers, carne asada, reuben & french dip sandwiches.

So, targeted for people in the area, not just as a southern BBQ place.

Maybe is was sous vide. Vacuum packed and cooked in a water bath at 140 degrees. Not my idea of a great brisket but oh well....
That would make more sense than the electric smoker I saw. But I know with Sous-Vide, 14 hours is nowhere near enough time normally.

Okay.

If that's all the people here think as well, then I'm guessing that they must be sous-vide'ing it ahead of time before bringing it in for the employees at the restaurant to smoke and then just not informing them that it is also Sous-Vided.

If that's how it is done, my experience today showed me that it is a great idea. I wanna try it sometime myself to see if it works out.

Sous vide was also the first thing that came to my mind. Throw a little liquid smoke in the bag before you seal it up and you've got yourself some California BBQ. :mrgreen:

Why throw liquid smoke in the bag when you can just finish it up with real smoke?

I've decided I'm gonna try it now, probably gonna pre-smoke instead of a post-smoke though so that I can get a smoke ring.

I just read the Yelp reviews and looked at the pictures. I agree with your, as they say, confusement.

You would have to put a brisket in sous vide for a long, long time. The results could be pretty awesome. I may have to go get me a flat and see what I can do.

I recently did plate short ribs and they were in for 72 hours at 140 degrees. The time to breakdown the fibers at that temp is time consuming.

Here's a picture of the Sous Vide and Grilled Short Ribs with Vidalia Onion Butter Sauce.

short-ribs-2.jpg

Okay.

If that's all the people here think as well, then I'm guessing that they must be sous-vide'ing it ahead of time before bringing it in for the employees at the restaurant to smoke and then just not informing them that it is also Sous-Vided.

If that's how it is done, my experience today showed me that it is a great idea. I wanna try it sometime myself to see if it works out.
There is no substitute for real, slow smoked, bbq brisket.

Smoke ring? Wouldn't be a smoke ring if done Sous Vide before smoking as the meat is already close to or above the temp. where the smoke ring reaction occurs... My experience, anyway. Tried a 52 hr. Sous Vide / smoked brisket to see if I could get it tender and still have it medium rare. Didn't work.

Back