MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Catering, Food Handling and Awareness > Catering, Vending and Cooking For The Masses.

Notices

Catering, Vending and Cooking For The Masses. this forum is OnTopic. A resource to help with catering, vending and just cooking for large parties. Topics to include Getting Started, Ethics, Marketing, Catering resources, Formulas and recipes for cooking for large groups.

Old 05-28-2009, 10:26 PM   #1
BBQchef33
Grand Poobah and Site Admin

Name/Nickname : Phil
Default cooking for 200.

Ok, guys, I am roped into cooking for a party of 200. Actually, 140, + 30 kids under 12, and they added an extra 30 to cover shortage. I need a sanity check on what i plan to cook.

I tried the meat calculators and Im confused on the results. (some display cooked, some display raw weights, and they dont jive.

So here was my plan, sans calculator.

the plan is 4 meats, sliced briskets, pulled pork, ribs(baby backs) and Chicken. Plus burgers and dogs for kids, picky eaters and late comers.

I plan on putting out a few trays of sausage and peppers and Kielbasa for folks to pick on before serving the BBQ and to tke the edge off the hungryman. Sides will be baked beans, corn on the cob, pasta salad and tossed salad. Also Big Mistas pineapple slaw may get added as a surprise.

I was thinking 10 butts(average 7-8 lbs)
6 briskets (14# or better, full packers)
50 racks of ribs
2 x 40lb cases of chicken. One case of leg and thigh quarters, one case of breast and wing quarter. (or would it be easier doing spatchocked and cutting after cooked? )

sausage and peppers will be 3-4 full trays and kielbasa will be on a slicing board.

Burgers, simple count, 250 burgers/dogs and they may have leftover.. probably not because about 50 HS kids will be hanging out late as stragglers and will finish them up.

They want service from 2-7pm.. STAGGERED, BUT CONTINUOUS.

so.. that being aid.. how bouts your expert opinions?

CBJ with a Fuzzy Blue Hat, 18 Foot Competition Trailer, Customized Klose BYC, Custom Built Shirley built to feed our Veterans(A.K.A "Abrams"), 1 Double Barreled Lang 84, 1 Heavily Modified Bionic Bandera, 1 Custom Super Medium Stickburning Spicewine w/stoker, 2 XL BGE, 1 Mini BGE, 2 Pit Barrel Cookers, 3 WSMs, 3 Weber Kettles, an NB Hondo, A Modified Brinkman Horizontal, DCS 48" Grill, a Broilmaster P3, a Blackstone 36 and 17, a covered, pellet pooping FEC100, and our duck died. :(

News Flash:
"A mans worth is judged by the weight of his integrity "

You know your getting older when you choose your cereal for the fiber, not the toy

Smoke on KC.
WWW.BBQ-BRETHREN.COM
BBQchef33 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-29-2009, 10:00 AM   #2
tony76248
is One Chatty Farker

In my opinion, that is way too much food.

A few weekends ago, 150 folks and I did 8 brisket flats(5-6lb), 4 butts (10-12lb), 8 chickens (32lb total), 15lb sausage and 15 racks of ribs(45lb total). Plus all the sides and desert. I ended up having two briskets left over. All of these weights are pre-cooked, that is about 200lb of meat prior to cooking. I can tell you the plates were loaded up too. My plan was to have plenty of smoked sausage on hand in case I needed to provide more meat were folks to eat more than I had planned. In the end I did cook all 15lb of sausage but initially only cooked about half. It was easy in that if you cook it you need it and if not, back in the freezer it goes.

FYI

the brisket, pulled pork and sausage are all easily prepped and cooked whereas the chicken and ribs will require more hands on. I cooked both chicken and ribs on site since imo that is the way to guarantee they come out best.

The burgers and dogs are burgers and dogs.

There's plenty of room for all of God's creatures.
Right next to the mashed potatoes.

Brinkmann Model 6668 Gasser
Hibachi Grill
Stumps GF223 w/ Stoker assist
ECB that wins the $
Weber One-Touch Gold 22-1/2"
#3 Komono
Large BGE w/ Stoker assist
55 gallon Drum Smoker
Wood Crate Cold smoker w/ smoke injector
No need for certification, I already know good BBQ!

Last edited by tony76248; 05-29-2009 at 11:41 AM..
tony76248 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2009, 10:17 AM   #3
BBQchef33
Grand Poobah and Site Admin

Name/Nickname : Phil

thats what I need to know.. i too thought it was alot, but the calculators gave me those numbers.

are the S0-EZZY calcualtors using raw or cooked weights?

CBJ with a Fuzzy Blue Hat, 18 Foot Competition Trailer, Customized Klose BYC, Custom Built Shirley built to feed our Veterans(A.K.A "Abrams"), 1 Double Barreled Lang 84, 1 Heavily Modified Bionic Bandera, 1 Custom Super Medium Stickburning Spicewine w/stoker, 2 XL BGE, 1 Mini BGE, 2 Pit Barrel Cookers, 3 WSMs, 3 Weber Kettles, an NB Hondo, A Modified Brinkman Horizontal, DCS 48" Grill, a Broilmaster P3, a Blackstone 36 and 17, a covered, pellet pooping FEC100, and our duck died. :(

News Flash:
"A mans worth is judged by the weight of his integrity "

You know your getting older when you choose your cereal for the fiber, not the toy

Smoke on KC.
WWW.BBQ-BRETHREN.COM
BBQchef33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2009, 01:36 PM   #4
smokinit
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBQchef33 View Post
Ok, guys, I am roped into cooking for a party of 200. Actually, 140, + 30 kids under 12, and they added an extra 30 to cover shortage. I need a sanity check on what i plan to cook.

I tried the meat calculators and Im confused on the results. (some display cooked, some display raw weights, and they dont jive.

So here was my plan, sans calculator.

the plan is 4 meats, sliced briskets, pulled pork, ribs(baby backs) and Chicken. Plus burgers and dogs for kids, picky eaters and late comers.

I plan on putting out a few trays of sausage and peppers and Kielbasa for folks to pick on before serving the BBQ and to tke the edge off the hungryman. Sides will be baked beans, corn on the cob, pasta salad and tossed salad. Also Big Mistas pineapple slaw may get added as a surprise.

I was thinking 10 butts(average 7-8 lbs)
6 briskets (14# or better, full packers)
50 racks of ribs
2 x 40lb cases of chicken. One case of leg and thigh quarters, one case of breast and wing quarter. (or would it be easier doing spatchocked and cutting after cooked? )

sausage and peppers will be 3-4 full trays and kielbasa will be on a slicing board.

Burgers, simple count, 250 burgers/dogs and they may have leftover.. probably not because about 50 HS kids will be hanging out late as stragglers and will finish them up.

They want service from 2-7pm.. STAGGERED, BUT CONTINUOUS.

so.. that being aid.. how bouts your expert opinions?

I would stick with your butt count and back off on the brisket by 1 an the ribs with four meats I do two ribs per so maybe 40 racks and the chicken 30lbs mixed. Are you figuring on burgers and dogs for everyone or just the kids. If I do as a filler i would do 100 bugs and 60 dogs. With all your other goodies you have plenty. I would be a round $18.00 or so a head.
Old 05-29-2009, 05:07 PM   #5
big brother smoke
somebody shut me the fark up.

Welp Pooh,

You are looking at 40 lbs. of cooked PP (sounds just right)
Briskie you are looking at around 45lbs cooked (sounds right to me)
Ribs (seem good); Keep in mind BBs call for 1/2 lb per person. However with four meats you are on target.

You can check out this website: www.allrecipes.com
No need to pay attention to the recipes just use the calulator for meats and sides