• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Anybody paying attention to the new rules being submited?

Tarheel

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
I have been silent for a while on here and about the KCBS and some of the things going on. I had a chance to read the quick notes to the latest board meeting and came across the proposed change to rule #3 about keeping all of your stuff in your own site. I couldn't help but get a little pissed at this full on micro managing of something that is suppose to be fun. The way it was worded was to even make building boxes together a no no. Now it was tabled till the August meeting because of wording. I sent the board an email expressing my displeasure with this proposal and got a response back:

Roy,

As per the minutes, this motion was withdrawn for re-wording at the August meeting. "Building turn-in boxes" refers to putting meat in them and storage is an issue, thus the re-wording.

As a member of "you people" as we were labeled, I fully understand KISS.

Jeff

On Tuesday, July 17, 2012, Tarheel Fireplace wrote:
I have been silent for a while but have tried to keep up with what was going on. I got wind of this proposed change to the rules and was very concerned as to where this organization was going. Is the next rule going to state that I as a cook have to stay in the lines too.

Can you please tell me why building a turn in box together with friends is such a concern that you have to get that far down in the weeds and start micro managing every detail of a contest.

I have on nurmours occasions allowed others the use of my air conditioned trailer to do things like trim meat, build boxes, do dishes, or what ever else they might need. It is all part of going to a contest. The joy and fun of being together and sharing. If I have it and you need it, short of a recipe, you can get it. I think you are without a doubt starting down a path of stay away don't touch, don't talk, don't, don't , don't. You don't want someone to warm their pork up to temp and now you don't want us building boxes together.

Come on cant you people understand the KISS theory! Give it a break.

Roy Murray
Tarheel Smokers

I am more than willing to speak out when it comes to trying to keep this fun time fun. If you have an opinion about it let the board know either way you see it. Come on Bunny where are you at? Talk to me!!!

Roy

Here's the motion per the quick notes from the July 11 meeting. "Preparation" needs definition. This would preclude trimming meat at home.

I move that the following CAPITALIZED wording be added to Cooks Rule # 3:
3) Each team will be assigned a cooking space. Pits, cookers, props, trailers, motor homes, vehicles, tents or any other equipment (including generators) shall not exceed the boundaries of the team’s assigned cooking space. ALL STORAGE, PREPARATION, SEASONING AND COOKING OF PRODUCT SHALL BE DONE WITHIN THE ASSIGNED COOKING SPACE AS WELL AS THE BUILDING OF TURN-IN BOXES. Teams shall not share an assigned cooking space or cooking devices. This motion was withdrawn to reword for the August meeting.

Good point, I had not looked at that part as well.

Now in Jeff's defense here too, I have been going back and forth with emails to him since I sent this. I need to listen to the MP to get a sense of what he was trying to do with this as well.

I told him in the last email if there is a problem with cheating then put it out there and let us police ourselves and let those doing it know that someone is watching. Don't throw a blanket over it trying to stop one little thing and then smother all of us.

I'm hoping I can still get together and parsley up boxes with my friends the morning of a contest. That would just suck the FU out of FUN.

Stupid insane rules is why I don't compete in anything anymore, be it archery, fishing, skeet, or cooking contests. Yea, I took up these hobbies or sports for fun, not to confine myself to rule after rule. If one wishes to compete in them, have at it, but I'm out. Life's too short and my blood pressure is just fine where it is......................ck

Here's the motion per the quick notes from the July 11 meeting. "Preparation" needs definition. This would preclude trimming meat at home.

I move that the following CAPITALIZED wording be added to Cooks Rule # 3:
3) Each team will be assigned a cooking space. Pits, cookers, props, trailers, motor homes, vehicles, tents or any other equipment (including generators) shall not exceed the boundaries of the team’s assigned cooking space. ALL STORAGE, PREPARATION, SEASONING AND COOKING OF PRODUCT SHALL BE DONE WITHIN THE ASSIGNED COOKING SPACE AS WELL AS THE BUILDING OF TURN-IN BOXES. Teams shall not share an assigned cooking space or cooking devices. This motion was withdrawn to reword for the August meeting.

Sounds like this could also be used to get rid of prepping/trimming meats ahead of time.

I need to listen to the MP to get a sense of what he was trying to do with this as well.

Not aimed at Jeff, but why can't there be a way to get this info without listening to a 3 hour tape. It would be much easier if board members could just speak to us like grownups.

IMHO, I don't see it as micro managing but rather as a clarification for consistency.

This is where I am different. I think as far as the competition stuff it needs to stay in your cook site which includes box building it takes me about 45 min to make all my boxes can you seriously not take a 45 min break from drinking? All meat prep needs to be done at contest also.

The rules committee is saddled with the thankless job of trying to come up with clarified rules because there are teams out there who think that they are somehow more special than the clearly evident intention of the rules. We saw two "separate" teams co-mingling meats in a cambro, who complained bitterly when the rep brought that to their attention because no rule explicitly forbade sharing a holding device.

Come onnnnn. Dishwashing and garnish is one thing, but people need to keep their meat to themselves at a contest. ;)

Ok, for those of you who think that you need to keep the meat or what ever to yourself. Please tell me what advantage is gained by two teams sharing a cambro when it comes to the meat being judged by six individuals. I would almost bet my paycheck that the same meat could be turned in by two seperate teams and get totally diffrent scores. Same meat cut or pulled from the same butt or brisket or rib. I have seen it done with sauce. Same sauce out of the same bottle and two totally diffrent scores. Where is the advantage gained by helping your friend and sharing the cost of some pertty expensive equipment like a cambro.

Think about what you are saying here, I can see that lines need to be drawn but they have been in saying you have to have your own meat and your own cooker.

The rules committee is saddled with the thankless job of trying to come up with clarified rules because there are teams out there who think that they are somehow more special than the clearly evident intention of the rules. We saw two "separate" teams co-mingling meats in a cambro, who complained bitterly when the rep brought that to their attention because no rule explicitly forbade sharing a holding device.

Come onnnnn. Dishwashing and garnish is one thing, but people need to keep their meat to themselves at a contest. ;)

Are you part of the rules committee?

there are teams out there who think that they are somehow more special than the clearly evident intention of the rules. We saw two "separate" teams co-mingling meats in a cambro, who complained bitterly when the rep brought that to their attention because no rule explicitly forbade sharing a holding device.

It's pretty clear to me. Rule 3 defines what has to stay in a cooksite. Rule 7 says where meat can't go once it's been inspected. I think the wrong rule is being changed and too many people have their panties in a bunch....

dmp

This is where I am different. I think as far as the competition stuff it needs to stay in your cook site which includes box building it takes me about 45 min to make all my boxes can you seriously not take a 45 min break from drinking? All meat prep needs to be done at contest also.

Why should the meat be prepped (trimming specifically) at the contest and the box building be done in your site? How does the current situation create an unfair advantage?

Last edited:

You must not compete much do you?

It's pretty clear to me. Rule 3 defines what has to stay in a cooksite. Rule 7 says where meat can't go once it's been inspected. I think the wrong rule is being changed and too many people have their panties in a bunch....

dmp

Is rule #7 at the judges discretion? If the meat leaves the site after inspection is it a mandatory DQ?

Last edited:
Why should the meat be prepped (trimming specifically) at the contest and the box building be done in your site? How does the current situation create an unfair advantage?

Todd, This whole thing makes me feel like I am living in California. California just banned restaurants from serving foie gras. Does this mean I can't use duck fat on my ribs any more?!?! Nooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:becky::becky:

One of the best memories I have was building boxes with Cameron of BamBam BBQ and Mike Davis of Lotta Bull in Vegas......Hilarious!!!!!! Half the fun of these contests are just hanging out with friends.

Are you part of the rules committee?
No. I'd pretty much feel like this:

birthmark.jpg

Back