MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk > BBQ Brethren Throwdowns

Notices

BBQ Brethren Throwdowns Join us in the backyard for a fun bi-weekly photo contest and show off your BBQ creations! New categories are posted every other week, plus a special monthly category. Winners earn bragging rights, a Throwdown Certificate, prizes, and the chance to choose the next category. Some of our most talked about cooking techniques and recipes were given birth in the Throwdowns!

Old 02-16-2013, 10:12 PM   #106
Indymule
Got Wood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Friscoag View Post
My official entry:

WOW Those look fantastic!

I'm a butt, brisket and Jack Daniels man
Jay
Indymule is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-16-2013, 10:56 PM   #107
TheJackal
Full Fledged Farker

Default This is my official TD entry.

So I woke up this morning and decided I was going to BBQ. I figured I’d do something that I could also enter in the throwdown. I was stumped with the whole smoke ring thing though. I can make a mean brisket with a killer smoke ring but that’s too predictable. Besides, that’s just one ring (singular) and the description states “demonstrate their BBQ skills by showing off their Smoke Rings" (plural). I know I’m new to this TD stuff but I didn’t want to get DQ’d in my first one so I need to come up with a dish that has many rings. Still I was stumped.

So I threw on a little Ring Ring Ring by De La Soul

And had a bowl of these rings for breakfast.

Here’s what I came up with. I gathered up some sausage, cheddar, jalapeno rings, onion rings, and Canadian bacon rings I had lying around.

Yeah, you heard me right. Canadian bacon rings. You got a problem with that?

Then I put it all together and made a nice bacon wrapped Fatty out if it.

Rolled it up and rubbed it with some of our sweet rib rub.

Smoked on the Yoder and Boo-Yah!

But that’s not all folks! I figured we’d round out the meal with a few more supporting cast members. So I grabbed a little of this.

And did a little of this.

And turned it into this.

Which after cooked looks like this.

Ok, so maybe some bagels (sticking with the ring theme) would have been more appropriate but they look like the asiago bagels form Panera so I think they count. Also, if you arrange them like this they look like the Olympic rings. That’s my story and I’m sticking to it.

But wait! There’s more! This is starting to sound like one of those infomercials. I started with a little of this.

And then added a little of this.

And wound up with a bunch of these. I really tried to cook these in the smoker but I could not keep the oil temp up with the smoker lid open. So I have to admit that these rings did not get smoked.

What’s for dessert you asked? Some of this on the smoker also. Lemon cupcakes with smoked pineapple rings. I really wanted to do little mini bundt cakes but hey, I wasn’t running out to the store for a mini bundt cake pan.

Put it all together with a side of our rib sauce and a tasty beverage and this is what you get. A jalapeno, onion, cheddar, and Canadian bacon stuffed fatty on a cheddar and jalapeno biscuit with a side of Guinness battered onion rings, with a lemon cupcake atop a smoked pineapple ring for dessert. I know the ring of sausage is pink around the outside. Not sure what that is but I did temp the fatty so I know it is not under cooked. Please use this pic for voting.
TheJackal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 10:58 PM   #108
jmoney7269
Banned

Please accept this as my entry for the throw down. Cooked on the traeger @180 for 4 hrs then 275 till finished.

A pic of the cook
jmoney7269 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 08:18 AM   #109
Al Czervik
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : Scott/Mongo

WOW! Great entries everyone...

Plus we have a bunch of new participants which is what I was hoping to get with this category.
(='.'=) Avatar by Chalupa
(")_(")
Al Czervik is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks from: --->
Old 02-17-2013, 01:36 PM   #110
caseydog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Czervik View Post
Ich bin nicht der Scweinhund, den Sie sich beziehen ... Das wäre CD, wer ist eigentlich ein italienischer Hund, der nicht sehr glücklich im Moment.
Beißen Sie mich.

CD
caseydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks from: --->
Old 02-17-2013, 01:47 PM   #111
Bluesman
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Jon

Quote:
Originally Posted by caseydog View Post
Beißen Sie mich.

CD
Hey!!!!!!!!!! Speak in a language I know....... If it's funny I want to laugh to...........the only fun I have............is here....
2010 Brick Red Touch n' Go Performer
Kitchen stove
Bluesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks from:--->
Old 02-17-2013, 04:16 PM   #112
caseydog

I completely forgot about this TD. Sorry Mongo -- I have a lot on my plate right now.

But, it is sunny and farking 70 outside, today, so I worked on my car, my yard -- and tossed a butt on the WSM.

If it comes out with a nice ring, I'll toss it in the TD. Won't win, and probably won't zero, either. But, it'll taste good.

CD
caseydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks from:--->
Old 02-17-2013, 06:10 PM   #113
bluetang

Name/Nickname : Mike
Default Just an ole money muscle

Thanks to Boshizzle, I've become a sliced money muscle addict. Usually I do them up on the rotisserie, got a little inebria....er...lazy, and just threw them on the UDS. S and P only, pulled off the UDS and sliced at 165 ish. Served with collards and cole slaw.

Focus dammit

Money shot. Thanks for lookin!
Homey, the Homegrown frier, 22" WSM, 18.5" Elderly(but not retired) WSM,Homegrown Electric, Weber gasserrrr,Weber Performer, Gravity feed smoker, Blackstone, Indisputably Fastest Purple Thermapen, SAI Satay Grill

bluetang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 09:32 PM   #114
Gore
Phizzy

Location: Hiding out from blood suck ghost snake gods, Nazis and scrap iron chefs trying to harvest body parts
Name/Nickname : Gore (surprise!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by caseydog View Post
I completely forgot about this TD. Sorry Mongo -- I have a lot on my plate right now.

But, it is sunny and farking 70 outside, today, so I worked on my car, my yard -- and tossed a butt on the WSM.

If it comes out with a nice ring, I'll toss it in the TD. Won't win, and probably won't zero, either. But, it'll taste good.

CD

Well fark, if everyone who didn't enter has to apologize, we'd probably have a lot more people entering these things. Here's mine:

Dear Mongo,
I am really really sorry I didn't enter anything in this throwdown. I was gone last week and came home with a nice brisket flat all the way from North Carolina Costco (they're cheaper down there). Yesterday, my daughter had a winter guard competition that kept us busy all day and we went out for Thai food afterward. Today, I was lazy and just cooked a mess load of lamb chops. Now those were really good, but they really didn't have any smoke ring. Actually, I ate them without checking, but I don't think they did. Tomorrow we will be cooking that Briskie and that will be too late to enter, and you know how Biggie is about DQing me, so that just wouldn't work anyway. Please, please, please forgive me. I promise I will never, ever do it ever again until the next time it happens. I'm so sorry.
Sincerely,
Gore

PS The last brisket we cooked my way and this one is being cooked her way, so it will taste much better, but her way is pulled and that will not highlight the smoke ring anyway.

PPS Please don't hate me forever (again).

PPPS I think it's Biggie's turn. I don't remember reading about any SPAMfish with a smoke ring yet. I figure he owes you one.
(='.'=) This is the rabbit baby. Invests him in yours signature,
(")_(") and the help rabbit baby takes over control of the world!
Hmmmm, I wonder, WWGALD? Avatar courtesy of Grillman and NorthwestBBQ

Promoted by Bigabyte to "Idiot #1" , and dubbed "Phizzy" by Sir Ron.
Gore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 09:54 PM   #115
bigabyte

My dearest darling Mongo,

I am really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, I am really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, I am really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, I am really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, I am really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, I am really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, I am really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, I am really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, I am really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, I am really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, I am really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, I am really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, I am really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, I am really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, I am really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, I am really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, I am really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, farking sorry that I didn't farking the farkity fark cook a farking dish for you farking precious farking Smoke Ring Throwdown!

That was just a joke! I'm not mad at you, I swear!

Seriously though, I couldn't make a smoke ring dish. You see, I had to sell one of the kids just to afford some low grade pink slime to enter in this one. Then one of the other farking kids went and farked themselves up and had to go to the emergency room, costing us even more money, and by the time we got home the farking DOG had eaten this pink slime and died! Stupid farking dog.

So, we sold that kid too, and then I knocked my wife up because we started to realize that we really had a potential cash machine going on here. Of course, I had to spend a ridiculous amount of time getting ready for that task, only to throw my back out. So another emergency room visit, even more money right down the farking drain.

When I was finally able to walk again, I went to the butcher, and hid out back waiting for them to toss out some scraps. All I could get was some strange things I couldn't identify, but I think it might have been something from a pig, somewhere. I got that home and put some foil hat on it, but then one of the kids grabbed it off the counter and used it as a stepping stool to try and get up on the refrigerator to get some cookies, slipped and fell and, well, another farking trip to the emergency room was in order. Luckily we decided to sell that kid too so we didn't actually have to pay any medical costs on that one.

Then my wife went into labor. I had no idea that once you have as many kids as we have had that the incubation period becomes quite shorter and you can literally turn into a baby making factory.

Aw fark, you probably don't believe me anyway. I promise next time I will try harder though.
Certified MOINK Baller & IMBAS Certified MOINK Ball Judge #0003 - Are you MOINK Certified?
Sole recipient of the Silverfinger and fingerlickin Awards!

Don't forget about the Throwdown Thingies!
The Secret Squirrel Society doesn't exist - Zero Club

Duh.
bigabyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 10:03 PM   #116
Bluesman
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigabyte View Post
My dearest darling Mongo,

Seriously though, I couldn't make a smoke ring dish.
Aw fark, you probably don't believe me anyway. I promise next time I will try harder though.
I knew it...............
Kitchen stove
Old 02-17-2013, 10:08 PM   #117
TheJackal
Full Fledged Farker

Default IN PROGRESS -> BBQ Brethren "Smoke Ring" Throwdown!

Who is Mongo and why is everyone so skerd...
TheJackal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 10:11 PM   #118
Bluesman
Babbling Farker

Kitchen stove
Old 02-17-2013, 11:00 PM   #119
FattyMac
Full Fledged Farker

I haven't entered on of these in ages but I did a cook this past weekend that was all about appearance.

I recently became the proud owner of a new Backwoods and decided to do a test cook between it and my old standby a FEC100. The details of the cook are on another thread HERE

Some Highlights

And the entry photo

Backwoods on the left, FEC on the right for the curious.

Thanks for lookin'!
Old 02-17-2013, 11:25 PM   #120
Titch

Name/Nickname : Titch :-)

Nice looking cook mate.
cheers.
Titch
Titch is offline   Reply With Quote