Anyone got a Cobb Grill

Great little charcoal cooker!

I've had one going on 3 years now. Love it! A good versatile charcoal cooker in a SMALL package, the Cobb can grill, bake and smoke. More info also at Cobb America.

Super Fuel Efficient – Just 8-10 briquettes will get you about 3 hours of cooking time. I can sometimes squeeze 12 briquettes into the coal basket (for more heat or more cooking time).

Very well designed – The grill channels most of the fat into the moat so there's little chance of flareups or ash flying on your food. You can also put water, beer, juice or other flavored fluids in the moat to flavor the food and keep things moist. To smoke, put your wood chips in an aluminum pouch, punch some holes in it, and put it in the moat or on top of the coals. Easy to move, weighs only 8.5 lbs. Stay-cool mesh walls. You can even pick up the cooker (no gloves needed) and move it while cooking!

To control the temperature – Drop bolts into the holes in the lid to choke off air flow and monitor with a digitemp.

Observations – The charcoal taste is much more subtle than with my Kamado/BGE claypot. When grilling, you won't get the typical grill marks. The wok accessory needs lots of fuel and high heat for stir-fries; otherwise, the wok is good for stews. Very efficient fuel use!!!

Past Cooks I've done – Grilled chicken, steaks, salmon, veggies; leg of lamb; whole chicken, whole duck (OMG, 2 cups of fat in the moat!); kabobs; sausages; ribs, etc.

Here's a picture of my most recent Cobb cook – Roast Leg of Lamb. 3 lb thigh. 3 hours total. Pulled at 146F/71C. Medium-Rare. Mint leaves + water moat. 10 NamChar briquettes. 300F 40 min, 250F 20 min, 200F 60 min, 180F 60 min. Turned out very moist and tender.
i92D07D1B-4306-4E4E-BF23-A78A6D48A2DF.jpg

All in all, I highly recommend the Cobb if you want a small portable AND versatile little charcoal cooker.

Last edited by a moderator:
Interesting. Do you have any pics in action? The Cobbamerica link will not stay loaded.

Back