Pork Dilemma

biggs98

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
Long story short, I made too muck pork for a party(2 extra 8lb butts). Here's the thing, it went right from the smoker to the Cambro and then to the party and it stayed in the Cambro for about 8hours double foiled not pulled. I took it home and put it in the oven for a hour at 325 thinking I was going to pull it then and separate it into packages but that didn't happen. Instead I passed out on the couch and wifey took it out of the stove and put it in the fridge.
Now the BIG Question???????
1. Can I chop it up cold and separate it to be reheated later or is the meat no good anymore??????

Until it went into the fridge, was it kept above 140F? If so, then no problems.

As far as food safety, I think your fine. As far as how delicious it might be, that's a chance you're going to have to take! :biggrin1:

Just don't want anyone getting sick on my food, I would feel horrible

Then this becomes one of those gray areas. I would suspect they are fine, but, a lot depends on how comfortable you are with the risk. 8 hours in a non-heated cambro, even if foiled, is on the long end of keeping the heat up enough. Then again, it was fully cooked and it is likely that nothing went wrong.

Until it went into the fridge, was it kept above 140F? If so, then no problems.

I agree with Landarc....... 140 and above is good...

I have vac-sealed and frozen whole butts in gallon vacuum seal bags. Just thaw, reheat with Apple Juice in the pan on a low grill or in the oven, and then pull when hot.

Not as good as freshly cooked but very good.....

As far as food safety, I think your fine. As far as how delicious it might be, that's a chance you're going to have to take! :biggrin1:

+1 except I think w/some sauce/cut/slicing ingenuity, it'll taste okay, but not great.

What was the outside temp where the cambro was at? Double wrapped in a cambro this time of year, my guess is it is OK. I would probably eat it myself but might be more apprehensive about serving it to others.

I agree with the statement above. Save those for yourself then you only have to worry about you. Food poisoning is no joke it can kill. There probably just fine but think about the others. A piece of meat just ain't worth the risk. I'm sure you'll be making and pleasing others with more fine cooks.

Back