• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Attention Organizers: State Proclamations

• Thread starter Lakeside Smoker
  • Start date
L

Lakeside Smoker

Please make sure that your State Proclamations are up to date!

A lot of organizers get a State Proclamation for the inaugural year of an event. Then it's assumed that it's carried over for every year after that. It's not!

We won a comp last August that was a State Championship. The organizer just informed me that The American Royal denied the contest as a qualifier because the State Proclamation was out of date.

Hopefully most organizers keep their State Proclamations up to date. I'd love to hear from organizers and if they get a new Proclamation every year.

Thanks
-Mike

Willie b gives the winner of williepalooza the actual proclamation every year. Maybe winners should request a copy at least.

If the proclamation a contest got is a concurrent proclamation, they don't need to get a new one each year, as long as the event is held on the same date (i.e. with a festival that's held the 1st weekend of August, say). Concurrent proclamations will have in their title something like "Concurrent resolution ###".

Lynn H.

some proclamations are dated for that year
Then you have states with blanket proclamations

I think organizers should be in the habbit of scanning in the proclamation and having it available for download on the competition website. Another option would be to send the proclamations to the AR and have the AR list the confirmed qualifiers on their website. Teams should not ever have to wait until after an event to find out that it isn't a truly a SC. Organizers with proclamations should expect to have a hard copy at awards if they don't have it posted on the website.

dmp

The GLBBQA President is working with the Governor's office in Michigan because the Governor said he will not sign any BBQ proclamations because they are not important enough. The new idea is we are trying to get a blanket one signed that would be good for all comps.

I talked to several organizers yesterday and almost all of them said the same thing: KCBS told them once you have a State Proclamation for an event you don't need to get new one every year. Unfortunately this is incorrect and unacceptable under the American Royal's criteria of qualifying comps.

I'm posting this as a 'heads up' to organizers, not to bash KCBS or The American Royal.

-Mike

The GLBBQA President is working with the Governor's office in Michigan because the Governor said he will not sign any BBQ proclamations because they are not important enough. The new idea is we are trying to get a blanket one signed that would be good for all comps.

Not important enough? Who is this guy? Last time I checked, the Governor works FOR the people, it is not his job to decide who or what is important, sheeez...these guys kill me. :boxing:
I would rember this bozo come election time, he needs to be reminded who signs his paycheck.:mmph:

Sounds to me like the folks at the AR are just making life difficult.
Never heard of any organizer having to go back and get updated proclamations before.
Any such issues with The Jack?

I just heard back from the AR and they have made accommodation for this year that organizers can get their proclamation updated after the event. If you are in the same boat as Mike, you can contact your organizer and get them on the ball. you may still get an invite.
I haven't heard back from The Jack yet to see if they have the same policy.

When I handled the qualifiers for the FBA I was told that proclamations did not need to be renewed each year by the people in charge at The Jack. This sounds like something new from the folks at the Royal, or at least the first I've heard of it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

This is only the beginning, the new rules are going to be a big mess because it's putting the onus on the TEAMS to make it happen now. Competitors can't just assume organizers are doing this, as Mike found. We now will have to ask a lot more questions about the status of a contest before we sign up for it, and winners have to hound organizers for the follow up.

This is only the beginning, the new rules are going to be a big mess because it's putting the onus on the TEAMS to make it happen now. Competitors can't just assume organizers are doing this, as Mike found. We now will have to ask a lot more questions about the status of a contest before we sign up for it, and winners have to hound organizers for the follow up.

My only issue with this is it seems that even the organizers dont seem to know what is going on. A contest that was posted about in another thread was called today to get a better clarification and the organizer said that for number of teams this contest will qualify but she doesnt know what other qualifications for the Royal she has to do.

I am a few years from even hoping to qualify and would not mind doing whatever paperwork I need to do but at least in this contest the organizer does not know what else needs done for the Royal

Organizers don't know for good reason. They have never had to know. KCBS handled it in the past, and now they don't. Problem is, they didn't tell everybody. An entry in meeting minutes or even an article in the bull sheet does not constitute a notification. They should be contacting every sanctioned event that previously was considered a qualifier to let them know the rules have changed.
To my knowledge they have not. They washed their hands of it and they will end up screwing over several contests and teams.

Back