Sugar in the Rub

thunter

is Blowin Smoke!
Hey Brethren,

My ribs turn out great; however, I noticed that they are darker than most of the turn-in boxes I see. I have been told it is the sugar and/or brown sugar in the rub. What are your thoughts on this? I really want some nice-looking ribs as well as great tasting!

Here is a pic of some ribs that tasted awesome and had a good "competition tug" to them while eating; however, I am not satisfied with the color. Also, do you think the meat is pulled too far up on the bones?

You can use Turbinado sugar and they won't be as dark. The raw Turbinado sugar has a higher burn temp. so you have more time and temp. to play with. Stay away from the refined or molasses sugars if you want a lighter colored product.

thunter what I have done to tone down the color of my ribs is to foil them but when I foil them I dont foil tight. I set the ribs on the foil and pull the foil up but leave it open some what at the top so not to steam them. I smoke them to the color I like and them foil.Hope these pics help.

DSC01125.jpg

DSC01124.jpg

thunter what I have done to tone down the color of my ribs is to foil them but when I foil them I dont foil tight. I set the ribs on the foil and pull the foil up but leave it open some what at the top so not to steam them. I smoke them to the color I like and them foil.Hope these pics help.

DSC01125.jpg

DSC01124.jpg

what kind of ribs are those??

Flat iron??? I think that's a Murse. Better take it off as it looks pretty done!

Thats not a murse it's an attache case LOL. I didn't have any ribs laying around so I used my wifes day planner and man did it taste good.

I don't put any sugar in my rib rub at all anymore. I add it when I foil, and then add honey to the sauce just before finishing. Tony, you may remember our ribs in Carmel last year... Good, but just a bit too dark. I decided to try it, and we've been consistently better since then, even won a 5th place at a comp with them.

You can use Turbinado sugar and they won't be as dark. The raw Turbinado sugar has a higher burn temp. so you have more time and temp. to play with. Stay away from the refined or molasses sugars if you want a lighter colored product.
^
l
l
l
l
What he said

I don't put any sugar in my rib rub at all anymore. I add it when I foil, and then add honey to the sauce just before finishing. Tony, you may remember our ribs in Carmel last year... Good, but just a bit too dark. I decided to try it, and we've been consistently better since then, even won a 5th place at a comp with them.

I do remember that. I am going to try a batch of my rub with sugar and see what happens.

Back