MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 03-12-2018, 09:29 PM   #16
AKMIMNAK
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : Jonathan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westx View Post
Also ther is a pitmaker here in Texas that got his start in Alaska. I want to say the name is Rocking W Smokers. Give him a call and talking to him about the situation.
HUGELY HELPFUL. Thank you. This guy is operating in my hometown of Fairbanks, but since I moved away from there 11 years ago I never ran across him and didn't know he existed. No better guy on the planet to talk to about how to smoke in interior Alaska than him! I've shot off an email to him. Thank you for your help!

Thanks from: --->

Old 03-12-2018, 11:25 PM   #17
jimbloomfield
Full Fledged Farker

We do have one and love the food it produces. It is a smoker and not a grill. Has our run at temps over 275. Yes. I have cooked as little as one chicken Breast on it. They are thermostat controlled. I wouldn’t call it a everyday cooker. We also have a Hasty Bake and a MAK pellet grill. The temps are accurate in the cooker,but it cooks faster at 275. Then our MAK does. Any questions please ask. I did go and tour the plant when they built ours. Well made and designed
jimbloomfield is offline   Reply With Quote

2 members found this post helpful.
Thanks from: --->
Old 03-12-2018, 11:33 PM   #18
martyleach
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKMIMNAK View Post
Alaska. My homeland :) The pros far outweigh the cons. Can't wait to go back. BBQ is growing there so the smokers will (hopefully) come. Hard to create hard woods though. Spruce rules the day in the region where I grew up. Aspen and birch are really the only options. Not so much for smoking.
Dang and I just sold a double insulated Backwoods Chubby that would have been perfect for you. Bummer!

Custom wooden handles for BBQ's made by Marty Leach (oh, that's me)
[url]http://www.amlwoodart.com[/url]
martyleach is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 03-15-2018, 03:41 PM   #19
Cook
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Jay

I'm not sure which OH model y'all are talking about with the 275* limit, but the ones I have used have all had a 350* upper limit. I wish that was a bit higher, but it certainly was not 275*. I had it shut down on me at least once...I would set my temp at 325* for chicken. Somehow it overshot and shut down when it hit 350*. Had I not been paying attention we would have had late chicken that day. For that reason, I wish the upper limit safety was something like 375*.

They cook great...and you can get the smaller versions for home use...they still hold alot of meat.

Thanks from:--->
Old 03-15-2018, 07:32 PM   #20
KevinJ
somebody shut me the fark up.

Like the Ole Hickory a lot.
WGA

:plane: [SIZE="2"][I]All American Moinkballer[/I][/SIZE] 🇺🇸

Last edited by KevinJ; 03-15-2018 at 07:43 PM..
KevinJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-15-2018, 09:02 PM   #21
mcyork28
Babbling Farker

The Ole Hickory pits listed at Big Poppa smokers show a max temp of 275. If you look at Ole Hickory's site the pits they have are somewhere above 300.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cook View Post
I'm not sure which OH model y'all are talking about with the 275* limit, but the ones I have used have all had a 350* upper limit. I wish that was a bit higher, but it certainly was not 275*. I had it shut down on me at least once...I would set my temp at 325* for chicken. Somehow it overshot and shut down when it hit 350*. Had I not been paying attention we would have had late chicken that day. For that reason, I wish the upper limit safety was something like 375*.

They cook great...and you can get the smaller versions for home use...they still hold alot of meat.
Weber Kettle
Weber Genesis
Weber Smokey Joe

Passed on to a new home
Tejas 2040 Deluxe
Humphrey's Long Weekender
mcyork28 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-16-2018, 09:56 AM   #22
Cook
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Jay

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcyork28 View Post
The Ole Hickory pits listed at Big Poppa smokers show a max temp of 275. If you look at Ole Hickory's site the pits they have are somewhere above 300.
I gotcha. Didn't know that. The only times I have purchased Ole Hickory products has been from Ole Hickory. Yep...upper limit is 350 from the company.

Tags
Ole Hickory