MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 12-31-2008, 05:44 AM   #1
jonboy
is One Chatty Farker

Default paul Kirk

I have enjoyed reading the paul kirk championship cookbook.
Has anyone seen the videos of his about bbq?
They are older and available on vhs.
Any recommendations?
Thanks
jon
jonboy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-31-2008, 08:10 AM   #2
Black Cat BBQ
On the road to being a farker

It is a great book and I go back a re-read different sections all the time. Had no idea he had videos. Could be interesting.
Black Cat BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-31-2008, 09:30 AM   #3
Double D's BBQ
Full Fledged Farker

I guess it all depends on what you are looking to get out of it. Are you looking for something geared towards competition BBQ or just BBQ fundamentals? I enjoy Paul Kirk books very much as well. I have all his books and a set of his video's. The videos are very good for someone with little to no experience with Barbecue. They are quite old and are geared more on the fundamentals of BBQ and will give you a good solid background but with that being said I would invest the time and money more in a BBQ class given by those that are having good success currently in the field if you are looking more for information on competition BBQ. Rod Gray's and Johnny Trigg's Old School/High Tech classes are excellent as is Mike Davis Lotta Bull U classes. Rod and Gray will teach you everything that they do in a competion from start to finish. Mike Davis will teach you more of his techniques rather than what specifically goes into his recipes. Both are excellent classes. I've also heard many good things about Dr. BBQ's classes but have not had the opportunity to take one so I can not comment on his class.

The Paul Kirk tapes are probably more what you would see on a Steve Raichlen show without all the fancy ingredients. Paul cooks on a weber grill on the tapes and I believe also has his Paul Kirk Wagon that Dave Klose designed for him. It's been years since I've watched the videos so my memory on them is a little fuzzy. Paul will teach you on the video's what to look for when selecting your meats, how to properly break down and trim the meat, basics on rubs and sauces, and temperature control for the 4 major competion categories. They are a good set to have as a reference but if you've been doing this for a few years, you may find them to be a little too basic.
4. Primo Oval
5. Stumps GF 223
6. FEC 100
7. Backwoods Smoker - Fatboy
8. Traeger Texas Grill (BBQ 075)
Double D's BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-31-2008, 09:51 AM   #4
jonboy
is One Chatty Farker

I would like to expand my knowledge and improve my bbq.=less mistakes, happier family.
Practice goes along way.
Im sure that ive learned most everything that i know about bbq here. And well a few other things over in woodpile :)
I would enjoy a class but not sure there are any around KY.
Where is a good source for tracking down classes?
jon

Old 12-31-2008, 11:04 AM   #5
Double D's BBQ
Full Fledged Farker

Jonboy,

The cooking classes I've mentioned in my last post are geared towards competition cooks and most are found on the websites of the competition teams that give them. Here are a couple:

Old School High Tech Class (Rod Gray & Johnny Trigg)

http://www.pelletenvy.com/classes.php

Mike Davis - Lotta Bull BBQ

http://www.lottabullbbq.com/classes.php

Paul Kirk

http://www.baron-of-bbq.com/Pitmasters.htm

Myron Mixon - Jack's Old South

http://www.jacksoldsouth.com/store/i...219fc72825b603

Fast Eddy & Paul Schatte - Usually held only once a year at Cookshack's factory in Ponca City, OK. You can get this class free if you purchase a Fast Eddy cooker at the class.

http://forum.cookshack.com/eve/forum...3/m/1311084674

These are just a few and some of the better known classes. Paul's is probably the most basic and would be good to take first to build a good foundation. Rod and Johnny may have a class this year in Ohio which wouldn't be too far from you. Classes are also listed in the KCBS Bullsheet but you have to be a member of KCBS to get it.

I've traveled all around the country to attend classes from Oklahoma to California. They are expensive but I have recouped my costs in attending these schools from competition winnings. Good luck to you and if you have more questions, just ask.
4. Primo Oval
5. Stumps GF 223
6. FEC 100
7. Backwoods Smoker - Fatboy
8. Traeger Texas Grill (BBQ 075)
Double D's BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-31-2008, 11:11 AM   #6
Sledneck
is one Smokin' Farker

Kevin (HomeBBQ) who is also a member here has 2 videos. http://www.amazon.com/Backyard-Barbe.../dp/B001DL1DKG
The poster does not take any responsibility for any bad feelings or sense of exclusion that the reader of this post may have-whether real or imagined. Reading threads poses inherent risks. The poster of this thread would like to also remind readers to make sure they have a functional sense of humor before they visit any discussion board.[/B][/COLOR][/B]
Sledneck is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-31-2008, 01:50 PM   #7
Fredbird
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonboy View Post
I have enjoyed reading the paul kirk championship cookbook.
Has anyone seen the videos of his about bbq?
They are older and available on vhs.
Any recommendations?
Thanks
jon
I saw the tapes a few years ago. They have a lot of good basic information. I would like to see them again just for review.
18" WSM
Weber One-Touch Gold
Aussie Gasser
MOFO Chapter
KCBS CBJ

"BEER is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy". - Benjamin Franklin
Fredbird is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-31-2008, 03:08 PM   #8
JD McGee
somebody shut me the fark up.

I took Paul's class last year...lot's of good stuff. I highly recommend it!
JD McGee is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-31-2008, 04:41 PM   #9
jonboy
is One Chatty Farker

I would like to see the paul kirk tapes. I wish they were on dvd instead of vhs.
I'm sure that i would learn from them. I would esp like to see him cooking on a
klose pit.
The classes look great also. If I'm able to find one close, maybe i can fit it into the budget. Looks like Paul had a class in Ky last year. Maybe he will have another this year.
I know there have been a few classes at Woodford reserve. Maybe they will be having another this year. I remember last year, i was already obligated that weekend.
jon

Old 12-31-2008, 06:18 PM   #10
MilitantSquatter

Chris Lilly of Big Bob Gibson has a few videos (Ribs, Pork Shoulder and Chicken)

http://www.bigbobgibson.com/Merchant...ategory_Code=V
XL BGE (#2) & Performer Platinum

Former owner: Jambo Backyard, Klose BYC, Lonestar Vertical offset w/ Insulated Firebox, Medium Spicewine, Pitts & Spitts, XL BGE (#1) & (2) Medium BGE's, 22" WSM & (2) 18" WSM's, 18" & 22" Weber Kettles
MilitantSquatter is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-01-2009, 09:24 AM   #11
Bigdog

Quote:
Originally Posted by MilitantSquatter View Post
Chris Lilly of Big Bob Gibson has a few videos (Ribs, Pork Shoulder and Chicken)

http://www.bigbobgibson.com/Merchant...ategory_Code=V
Hard to argue with this guy. I don't know anyone who took more walks at this year's Royal, except maybe that: "Smile Donnie" guy.
Pitman for Andy Groneman at the All Things BBQ cooking classes.
Smoke on Brother KC
Father of the Fatty (the name) 4/20/04 on the BBQ Brethren with inspiration from Brother parrothead.
Bigdog is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-01-2009, 12:25 PM   #12
Smokin Mike
is One Chatty Farker

well whatever you do don't get anything from this guy

http://www.bbq-book.com/cb/index.html

when he thinks this is a turn in box!

FEC-100's
KCBS, FBA Judge
Smokin Mike is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-01-2009, 12:49 PM   #13
gpalasz
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by agentmichael View Post
well whatever you do don't get anything from this guy

http://www.bbq-book.com/cb/index.html

when he thinks this is a turn in box!

Ha...tell me about it. This was one of the first "books" I bought. Although some of the general info is good for a beginner...looking back I get a chuckle out of it.
Kettle 22.5 [COLOR=blue][B]BLUE[/B][/COLOR] OTG/W rotiss
Ultra Fast [COLOR=orange][B]Orange[/B][/COLOR] Thermapen
CCW SP 101 357 125g
gpalasz is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-01-2009, 01:14 PM   #14
bigabyte

That book is the book that really truly got me IN to BBQ. I loved smoking briskets before that, but since reading that sucker I have been hooked.

What I would recommend, and what I most took away from this book, is to start with something simple, and experiment on your own building to the flavors you want. It tooke me a couple years and lots of messing around, but I am super thrilled with my rubs now and have been for a couple years now. As for specific recipes, I can't say. I took Pauls advice and followed what my tongue, heart and brain told me to do.
Certified MOINK Baller & IMBAS Certified MOINK Ball Judge #0003 - Are you MOINK Certified?
Sole recipient of the Silverfinger and fingerlickin Awards!

Don't forget about the Throwdown Thingies!
The Secret Squirrel Society doesn't exist - Zero Club

Duh.
bigabyte is offline   Reply With Quote