MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 01-21-2011, 06:36 AM   #1
Rick Hamilton
On the road to being a farker

Default Old School New School Class March 18/19

Got it finalized with Rod and Johnny over the weekend. They will both be out to Yorktown VA March 18/19 for a class. Details are on Rod's website. Thanks to Mark Breen (Serial Grillers) for providing his restaurant for the class!

Old 01-21-2011, 09:36 AM   #2
jonboy
is One Chatty Farker

Can you post up a link to the class?
Thanks,
jon
jonboy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-21-2011, 09:39 AM   #3
Divemaster
somebody shut me the fark up.

I took the class a couple of years ago, and I would recommend it to everyone. Just the stories that Johnny tells are worth the trip!
Race Fast, Cook Slow, and Enjoy Life!
If it don't come off a smoker, it's just a side dish!

Lang 60 Patio (The Mistress), Black Stainless Lang 36 (Little Princess), Large BGE (Ramona), Big Green UDS (Cottage Cooker), Brinkman SnP Pro (Little Bubba-Retired), 8 Burner Gasser, 3 - 22.5" & 1 - 18" (circa 1975) Weber Grills, & a Weber Smoky Joe.
Divemaster is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-21-2011, 09:51 AM   #4
rescue_ranger
Full Fledged Farker

what is the web address or can you please post the link
Thanks
RR
[I]2 - [COLOR=blue][B]Char-Griller [/B][/COLOR][I][COLOR=black][COLOR=blue][B]Professional[/B][/COLOR] [/COLOR][/I]With offset[/I]
[I]2 -[B][COLOR=darkorange]Gold[/COLOR][/B] [/I][B]Weber 22 1/2" kettle, with therm- sear grate, ash can[/B]
[I]1 - [B]200gal[/B] smoker[/I]
[COLOR=green][B]Rescue_ranger[/B][/COLOR] also known by my fellow [COLOR=red][B]USMC[/B][/COLOR] clan as G-Bear :boxing:
rescue_ranger is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-21-2011, 10:04 AM   #5
Big George's BBQ

Name/Nickname : George

Go to Rod Gray's web page AKA Pellet Envey. He has a thing about classes on it. I am thinking of this or IQUE's class. Both in March. IQUE is local for me
Big George's BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-21-2011, 12:48 PM   #6
Rick Hamilton

pelletenvy dot com/classes

Old 01-21-2011, 01:11 PM   #7
Wrench_H
is One Chatty Farker

This is going to sound like I am being a jerk, but I swear to you I'm not, rather just asking an honest question. Why would anyone pay $750 for a BBQ class? Is this price pretty normal for similar classes?

CharGriller Smokin Pro, King Kooker Cast Propane Smoker, Smokey Joe Silver, Blue Mosaic Kamado, Traeger 075(Somehow I now have 2 of these), Weber Performer, BW Fatboy, Char Griller Akorn

Multiple Time [URL="http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/group.php?groupid=39"]Zero[/URL] Member

Try the [URL="http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=86"]Throwdowns[/URL] - MMMMM...tastes like liquid crystal
Wrench_H is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-21-2011, 02:29 PM   #8
sitnfat
is one Smokin' Farker

I tested rubs, cooking techniques, injections,and sauces for a good 7 months before I ever competed. I even went down to Mobile and graciously helped Ford. He was kind enough to give me tips and show me a few things. I think 750 is a fair price if u wanna skip all your own research. When cooking for my best friends I don't even tell them what I use when they ask.

Thanks from:--->
Old 01-21-2011, 03:52 PM   #9
BigMouthSmokers
Found some matches.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrench_H View Post
This is going to sound like I am being a jerk, but I swear to you I'm not, rather just asking an honest question. Why would anyone pay $750 for a BBQ class? Is this price pretty normal for similar classes?
I don't think it's a bad question. I thought the same thing until I took Yazoo Delta Q's rib class for $300. Taking what I learned I ended up making my money back after the first competition I entered. It honestly is an investment.
BigMouthSmokers is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-21-2011, 03:59 PM   #10
Buster Dog BBQ
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
When I went it was $500 for 1 and $250 for spouse or other.

Is it worth it? If you win a grand champion it is. Will you win one with/without a class? Maybe.

Old 01-22-2011, 08:08 AM   #11
Rick Hamilton

I think is it worth it is a fair question. My thoughts...

Rod normally charges $500. This is both Rod and Johnny Trigg. Looking at the application it says "each will share every detail of their competitive cooking style, including exact recipes used in competition". You will come out of this with at least 8 recipes with nothing held back, opportunity to ask as many questions as you like, and the experience of cooking with two world class bbq cooks.

Over the cook off season if you get 4 or 5 top 5 category calls there is a good chance you have made the money back. If you win a GC...you are way ahead.

I think you can spend thousands on contests and meats and rubs and struggle for years never getting consistent calls. If this accelerates your success curve then 100% yes...it is worth it. If you go and just want the experience and knowledge but don't compete...100% worth it.

I think you would be paying $500 for Rod and $500 for Johnny to get the same info in this single class. Sounds like a good deal to me.

Old 01-22-2011, 10:14 AM   #12
MilitantSquatter

Quote:
reasonable question for sure.

It's certainly easier to justify a class of this type if your primary reason for attending is improvement of your competition performance which many of the higher $ classes are geared toward.. Some of the info a comp class provides may not feel of value if you don't compete (Ex.. a backyard guy doesn't need tips on laying greens in a styrofoam box, shaping chicken thighs etc) If you're a backyard guy, the class may still provide enjoyment and learnings if you're going for an overall experience and hope to get some tips or questions answered.... but the $$ become a bit harder to swallow and you can probably learn much/more here on multiple cooking techniques and/or allocate $ to some books or additional BBQ tools/gadgets etc.
XL BGE (#2) & Performer Platinum

Former owner: Jambo Backyard, Klose BYC, Lonestar Vertical offset w/ Insulated Firebox, Medium Spicewine, Pitts & Spitts, XL BGE (#1) & (2) Medium BGE's, 22" WSM & (2) 18" WSM's, 18" & 22" Weber Kettles
MilitantSquatter is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-22-2011, 12:52 PM   #13
jestridge

$750 would buy a lot of meat to practice on
jestridge is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-22-2011, 01:03 PM   #14
btcg
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by jestridge View Post
$750 would buy a lot of meat to practice on
I just signed up for the class. Me & Bo will be attending. Well worth it to me.

You sir, are an old pro. You probably don't need the class, anyways.

Old 01-22-2011, 01:35 PM   #15
jestridge

not a pro, just frugal or stingy, lol
jestridge is offline   Reply With Quote