Burnt Ends

dreed

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
We have hit a stall with our brisket, finishing top 20, but can't seem to break the top 10. Do you think burnt ends are a must in order to do well at comps? How many top 5 briskets include burnt ends?

But don't think BE's will get ya 20 spots!

Burnt ends, or some variation of them, are always good eats.

But, they have to be cooked well enough to get a high score from the judges.

We have used lots of variations of chopped, sliced, chunked, and burnt ends with mixed results.
Seems like we had to cook the meat right for the Judges to like it. :oops:
Go Figure......

One of the highest scores (but not placings) for brisket was just slices that run all the way across the box and were (apparently) cooked well.

TIM

How many of you burnt end turner-inners (is that a word?) are actually making burnt ends (separating the point and putting it back in the cooker to continue cooking) vs. turning in chunks of either the flat or the point (no additional cooking)?

How many of you burnt end turner-inners (is that a word?) are actually making burnt ends (separating the point and putting it back in the cooker to continue cooking) vs. turning in chunks of either the flat or the point (no additional cooking)?

Without additional cooking, they'd jsut be chunks of flat or point.

Is KCBS thinkin we need a re-cook rule in place here too? :twisted:

Come on Rub. You know what burnt ends are. :lol:

I'll show you how to make burnt ends if you give me a few winning recipes. :roll:

Burnt Ends, I have played with them in the past. But a good brisket is still a good brisket with out them. So no we do not use them.

i wouldn't actually define what I use as burnt ends, but i can call them judge candy!!!!

Burnt Ends, I have played with them in the past. But a good brisket is still a good brisket with out them. So no we do not use them.

No wonder they bombed my brisket in Stillwater... All your relatives as judges? ;)

I dont do B.E. either. Not much luck at all. But you never really know what will score high. LOL

I like burnt ends, and we are beginning to feel good enough about the quality of ours to put them in the box, but here in Dixie they are the exception rather than the rule. Of all the brisket I've judged this year I'd say only 10-20% of the entries included BE.

Our first place briskie had chunks of point...not ends...:p

Back