I gots a ham hock

LT72884

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
and dont know what to do with it. I really want to make some ham hock beans/soup with it but dont know what to do..

I want to make it as simple as possible which means buy the canned beans.

Here is my idea. tell me what you think

buy a can or two, maybe three of some navy beans or white beans. Bring to a small boil and add potato, onions salt, pepper. ham hock, and maybe a can of campbels split pea with ham soup for added flavor.

go to this page on thirdeye's site:
click

Last edited:
dried beans,,or dried peas are real simple,,just add liquid & ham...some people soak 1st,,i just simmer in a pot or crock pot,,& you can add whatever you want to it...either way,, good luck.

If canned beans are in the equation.....I would second smoke the hocks, braise them in liquid until tender (adding the onion, potatoes, some chicken stock, etc. along the way) then add the canned beans last and simmer another 15 to 30 minutes.

Cooked a hock and a shank on Thursday. (Store offers them smoked) Put them in the crock pot with a quartered onion, a bay leaf, a couple of cloves of crushed garlic, about a tablespoon of whole peppercorns, and water to cover. Cooked on low for about 16 hours. Shut down and allowed to cool.

Then I picked and sorted about a half pound each of dry black and white beans. Gave them a quick rinse and put them in a big bowl with enough salted water to cover and let them soak overnight.

Yesterday morning, took the crock with the pork from the fridge, and lifted off and discarded most of the now solidified fat layer, and left most of the remaining gel in the crock. Remove the bay leaf and the peppercorns.

Started heating the crock while I picked the meat off of the bones to add back to the crock. Drained and rinsed the beans and added them to the crock. Add a can of chicken stock (or two) and enough water to cover and let her go on high for a couple of hours. Then I'll back it down to low, have a taste, and then season.

We like pretty basic ham and beans with a thick "sauce" as opposed to soup. Add more liquid for soup, or mash the beans a bit before serving if you like them thicker. We'll make a skillet a spicy cornbread and call it dinner.

Chris

I had three Thursday and made some Mustard greens and also Pinto beans with them.

yup canned beans are in the equation. Need fast and simple since i have school all week long.

I pretty much agree Thirdeye but I wouldn't limit it to canned beans.
Did a batch of small dried Red Beans with a large smoked ham Hock (3.5hrs.), Andouille Sausage, onion and jalapenos last week.
Soaked the beans overnight, did the onions and peppers in the sausage drippin's
and threw it all in the slow cooker overnight.

Excellent dish!

If canned beans are in the equation.....I would second smoke the hocks, braise them in liquid until tender (adding the onion, potatoes, some chicken stock, etc. along the way) then add the canned beans last and simmer another 15 to 30 minutes.

LT, not to be negative but hocks and canned beans don't work. At the very least, the hocks have to cook awhile to be tender, so you might at well slow cook the beans to get a really flavorful meal. Fast and simple is not something that will work for you bro. Just buy some canned something or another or do it with some time to get a better result. Let your heart beat a little slower and enjoy some real Q.

LT, not to be negative but hocks and canned beans don't work. At the very least, the hocks have to cook awhile to be tender, so you might at well slow cook the beans to get a really flavorful meal. Fast and simple is not something that will work for you bro. Just buy some canned something or another or do it with some time to get a better result. Let your heart beat a little slower and enjoy some real Q.

the hock is already cooked. My grandmas caretaker did that part for me on there smoker at the honey backed ham store.. I thought i mentioned that before but as usual i doubt it. i usually forget to mention one thing. thanx for being patient

Back