• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Chuckie time and temp question.

smooookin

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
I picked up a couple of chucks today, What kind of time frame am I lookin at?
What temps do you pull them if you just wanna slice em? I am thinking I will go to medium rare, is 145ish about right?

I take mine to 140° ish, then either go into foil or an aluminum pan (covered, with broth added) until tender. I'm guessing 2 or 3 hours on the pit, then 2 or 3 more in the foil.

DSC02332a.jpg

DSC03944a.jpg

I don't know about every one else, but to me the chuckie is one of the tougher cuts of beef to quess time on. It seems that no two chuckies cook alike. There seems to be a point where they stall, sometimes for quite some time, and that point is always different.

I love the results from chuckies but they are hard to plan for.

What cook temp?

Time could range from 1 to 3 hours per pound based on cook temp alone.

Then, each one cooks different!

Give "lots" of time and cooler if done early.

TIM

My drum likes to cruise in the 230-240 range for the most part. These are about 2 1/2 lbs each. I have two and figured I would do them both at once. since I want to pull them in the area of medium rare am I close at approx 4 hours. I know they are done when theu are done but wold like to have some type of idea. Thanks

I don't know about chuscks at medium rare. Try it and see how it comes out, but I'm betting it will be tough. I normally cook them either for pot roast as Thirdeye suggested or i cook them to 300 or so to either pull or chunk. For slicing I would be tempted to cook to 185 or 190 like brisket.

maybe the medium rare is a bad idea. Sounds like faux brisket.

I don't know about chuscks at medium rare. Try it and see how it comes out, but I'm betting it will be tough. I normally cook them either for pot roast as Thirdeye suggested or i cook them to 300 or so to either pull or chunk. For slicing I would be tempted to cook to 185 or 190 like brisket.

maybe the medium rare is a bad idea. Sounds like faux brisket.

dsc02469al.jpg

Yeah, medium rare may be pushing it, it's not tender enough to begin with to cook like that. On occasion, one market here sells these strips called chuck steaks (along the same lines as pork steaks) and they are usually such a good deal I can buy them for grinding or just for stew meat. They are 1/2 to 3/4 thick. Anyways, this thickness does get "slicing tender" around 160°-170°. When I've sampled a big roast at that same temp it is usually chewy. I've wondered if they are cut from one end or maybe one muscle....

Are you talking slicing thin for sammies or thick slices to eat with taters?

If you are talking sammies, I cook till 160* to please the wife then slice the next day once cooled.

Was plannin on eatin with taters. I see everyone doing these and thought I should join in on the fun. Maybe I should just treat it like a brisket. I guess I will go with the "She's ready when it slides in easy" method. ;)

Was plannin on eatin with taters. I see everyone doing these and thought I should join in on the fun. Maybe I should just treat it like a brisket. I guess I will go with the "She's ready when it slides in easy" method. ;)

You hit the nail on the head......
Far too much fat in Chuckie's to take to med/rare, these were made to cook all day!
Don't be surprised to find that easy slide might not come until WELL over 200*!!
These were cooked till about 228* internal but WELL worth the wait!!

Yeah they are pretty much done when they are done I cook them like a brisket and do a fork test (where you poke it with a fork and twist if it seperates easy it is done) when the temp gets around 200. I didn't foil the one I did sunday until it came off the cooker and went into a cooler for a couple of hours and it turned out great.

Back