MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 09-02-2009, 03:41 PM   #4036
Steve_M9
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by barbefunkoramaque View Post
straining the juice from

So true........doesn't everyone have a UDS by now?
Steve_M9 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-02-2009, 06:34 PM   #4037
Hugh Jorgan
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by phDog View Post
when i seasoned my drum i still had a good bit of sut from my burn out in there. is that a problem?
Doubtful but maybe, wash it, towel dry and spray with pam. This should hold it pretty much rust free 'til you fire it up.

Old 09-02-2009, 07:45 PM   #4038
Kickback BBQ on Guam
On the road to being a farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by indianagriller View Post
I did something like that, one one of mine i made for competition i put the chicken rack on bottom and the rib rack on top. I will post pics later when i get home. It seems to work out ok with the flat lid. The UDS is a magic maker. Last weekend i put a brisket and two pork butts in and about 9 hours later I opened the lid and found 3 perfect pieces of meat.
Is there a set amount of space that needs to be between the meat and the lid to ensure proper smoke flavor prior to venting? Would the ( 1/2" holes work better or the single exhaust?

Old 09-02-2009, 07:48 PM   #4039
Kickback BBQ on Guam

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctbeerbq View Post
I am almost done with my first UDS. I did the standard build.

Here's the charcoal basket.

My inspiration.

Almost done...

Inside coated with shortening.

I will do the seasoning burn tonight... probably cook something this weekend... and I have to wait for my artistically talented MIL from Germany to visit next month (when my wife pops out girl #3) to finish the Saint Arnold Brown Ale label paint job on the side. I need to look for some stencils for the bottle cap lid to finish that part.
We had the same idea, we go through a couple of the big boxes of Miller Lite every weekend and we pull for the Blue Deuce on race day. Ultimate tailgater

Old 09-03-2009, 06:20 AM   #4040
Paul B
is one Smokin' Farker

Default Epic thread!!

Wow!!!..... just finished. Now I just need to finish getting parts together to complete my SS UDS and start cooking. Will have the time now that I'm caught up on this short(hehe) thread!!!

Paul B
Paul B is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-03-2009, 06:44 AM   #4041
ctbeerbq
Full Fledged Farker

I started my seasoning burn last night about 6pm. Opened all intakes, full load of charcoal, weedburner to light the coals... up to 225 in under 10 minutes. I started capping it off and got it settled in at 250 with only the ball valve 1/4 closed. I left it going all night and checked it at 5:30am before I left for work.... still sitting at 250!!!

I should have made one of these a long time ago! This is awesome!

NB Bandera
UDS - beer can
Brinkman Pro Series 4400 Gasser

"I'd rather have a belly from drinking than a hump from working."
ctbeerbq is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-03-2009, 10:44 AM   #4042
Phubar
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctbeerbq View Post
I will do the seasoning burn tonight... probably cook something this weekend... and I have to wait for my artistically talented MIL from Germany to visit next month (when my wife pops out girl #3) to finish the Saint Arnold Brown Ale label paint job on the side. I need to look for some stencils for the bottle cap lid to finish that part.

Did you get some sauerkraut,bratwurst and weissbier yet?

All fueled by [COLOR=lime]Ecobrasa[/COLOR] Coco Briquettes

*[URL="http://lowlandsmokers.blogspot.com/2011/06/lowland-smokers-workshop-hei-en-boeicop.html"]Lowland Smokers[/URL] Dutch BBQ Champion 2011 - 2012*
*[URL="http://lowlandsmokers.blogspot.com/2011/06/lowland-smokers-workshop-hei-en-boeicop.html"]Lowland Smokers[/URL] Dutch BBQ Champion 2013 Low 'n Slow
*WGA Ambassador
Phubar is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-03-2009, 02:04 PM   #4043
ctbeerbq
Full Fledged Farker

I can't stand sauerkraut . And the German weissbier has too much of a banana flavor for my liking. She usually brings me a few beers and lots of chocolate .

NB Bandera
UDS - beer can
Brinkman Pro Series 4400 Gasser

"I'd rather have a belly from drinking than a hump from working."
ctbeerbq is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-03-2009, 04:31 PM   #4044
Paul B
is one Smokin' Farker

Default getting lid off????

OK, now that I have read the ENTIRE thread....... I have a question that I know hasn't been answered....can you really believe that???

As stated I have a coveted SS drum, measures 23" top and bottom, real pretty....hopefully going with everything SS. My question is.............how can I get the top off and still use it as a cover?? It is a rolled top and bottom drum. I do want to find a weber like dome lid eventually so I can have two cooking shelves. Sidenote: I have a line on a SS dome lid from Arctic for around $27 plus shipping, may eventually go that route. But in the mean time I would like to salavge my present lit so I can cook whilest looking for a dome.

Any ideas on how to remove a rolled lid and still use it as a lid???

Thanks,

Paul B

Old 09-03-2009, 04:42 PM   #4045
Norcoredneck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul B View Post
OK, now that I have read the ENTIRE thread....... I have a question that I know hasn't been answered....can you really believe that???

As stated I have a coveted SS drum, measures 23" top and bottom, real pretty....hopefully going with everything SS. My question is.............how can I get the top off and still use it as a cover?? It is a rolled top and bottom drum. I do want to find a weber like dome lid eventually so I can have two cooking shelves. Sidenote: I have a line on a SS dome lid from Arctic for around $27 plus shipping, may eventually go that route. But in the mean time I would like to salavge my present lit so I can cook whilest looking for a dome.

Thanks,

Paul B

In the beginning people claimed they took a cutoff blade on a die grinder and cut only the top and not the drum. Thawley had said he made a jig to do it but I must have missed that thread where he posted the picks. Either way if it was practical it would have been all over the UDS thread.

The Prontologist is in...
Ok let's see your Butt!
Norcoredneck is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-03-2009, 07:28 PM   #4046
Rich Parker
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by barbefunkoramaque View Post
straining the juice from
I want to see pics of your UDS. Hot chicks in the shot are ok.

Old 09-03-2009, 08:28 PM   #4047
Wyley

Before I started grinding away on that SS drum I sure would try to get my hands on a regular drum to practice on. It's something you'll only get one shot at doing right.
Wyley is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-03-2009, 09:02 PM   #4048
Paul B
is one Smokin' Farker

Naaahh.....wifey would probably not allow that, anyway only paid $5.00 for it at a garage sale!!!! Wish the guy had more, said he paid $25 for it.

Paul B

Old 09-04-2009, 01:50 AM   #4049
Hugh Jorgan
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul B View Post

Thanks,

Paul B
HMMmmmmmmmmm, Maybe, just maybe if you cut it out really clean like this pic, but cleaner, you could attach something to the lid to keep it from falling down into the drum and don't add any or minimal exhaust holes. Or you could find something stainless that is flat and bigger and cut a ring out of it to bolt to your top for a sealing rim. Exhaust as normal.

Old 09-04-2009, 02:07 AM   #4050
Norcoredneck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh Jorgan View Post
HMMmmmmmmmmm, Maybe, just maybe if you cut it out really clean like this pic, but cleaner, you could attach something to the lid to keep it from falling down into the drum and don't add any or minimal exhaust holes. Or you could find something stainless that is flat and bigger and cut a ring out of it to bolt to your top for a sealing rim. Exhaust as normal.

Then it would warp and you could use it for a taco shaped serving tray.

The Prontologist is in...
Ok let's see your Butt!
Norcoredneck is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
divided circle template, uds, ugly drum, ugly drum grill, ugly drum smoker