Wood of choice for beef ribs

Gasket

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
I plan on smoking a couple of slabs of beef ribs about 5 bones per slab, on Sunday. I've done them many times before and have always used a combo of apple and cherry wood to smoke them. I recently scored a couple logs of seasoned red oak and I know that oak is the go to wood for beef in Texas. I was wondering what the Brethren typically use for smoke when cooking up some beef, especially ribs.

Hickory, but that red oak sounds pretty good.

Oak is my go to wood for beef. I have some post oak which I got in Luling, Texas which is outstanding. Red oak will be very good too.

I have been experimenting with different woods for beef as applewood was too subtle of a smoke for it. Cherry was pretty good. But so far my favorite right now for beef is pecan. I have some red oak, maple, and black walnut to still try on beef.

Love Pecan with beef. Acquired a taste for it when learning some techniques from a North Texas pitmaster.

I cooked up beef ribs recently. Used pecan chunks (Academy has 'em). They were awesome!

Oak is always my go to wood. Get tons of it readily available here. I do have a half a cord of some seasoned apple which I think I will be using for the basis of my cooks the weekend

I typically use oak for beef. It compliments it well and I have tons of it.

My go to wood is what I have on hand Red Oak I say your are in good hands.

I dont think you can go wrong with oak. Here in the SouthWest we use a lot of mesquite too. It has a strong flavor, that is an aquired taste, but I like it.

oak, pecan, or hickory would be your staples i think. a bit of added apple or cherry depending on your tastes.

I use red oak and apple for beef and most of my smokes. I don't use cherry anymore.

Mesquite and beef are a couple, nothing better than beef smoked with mesquite.

I used to only cook with oak, which is great with beef, now I use hickory or (most often) cherry, since I have plenty of it.

Back