MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 03-04-2013, 06:21 PM   #1
ButtBurner
Babbling Farker

Default cooking Brisket for a party-timing?

I had a real successful brisket cook just for my wife and 1 kid on Saturday with my new pit.

Now the wheels are turning and my wife wants me to do one or 2 for a cookout over the summer, probably a holiday Monday

My question is one of timing. Whenever I have done a brisket I did not care when it was done, I know the "done is done" rule quite well LOL

But how do you experts handle it when, say you need to serve it at 5 pm? Get up at 2 am and start it?

Do it the day before and reheat?

I dont know what other choices you would have?

Just wondering how you pros handle your timing for an event like this. I would like to have the cooker going when people arrive to gather around and have a few drinks, maybe have some beans, wings and other goodies cooking on it?

thanks
ButtBurner is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-04-2013, 06:29 PM   #2
trufunk
Full Fledged Farker

That's what id do get up early.
trufunk is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 03-04-2013, 06:58 PM   #3
DubfromGA
is One Chatty Farker

Figured 30 mins of coal prep time.....2 hrs per pound of cook time at 225..... 60 mins of rest time.....10 mins to slice........

Suffice to say you'll have more time for cocktails than anyone else.....enjoy yourself.

Old 03-04-2013, 07:12 PM   #4
landarc
somebody shut me the fark up.

I cook faster and have done enough that I have a basic time frame for several temps. But, I like to leave a 3 hour buffer from end of cook to service. If I am cooking on a schedule, I go for 280F to 290F, I allow 45 minutes per pound. I try to get similar size and shape packers in the 14 to 16 pound range untrimmed raw. I also allow one hour on the front end for coming to temperature from a 225F start temperature. Sets that all important smoke ring that does not matter at all.

So, say I have 12 pound packers, after trimming, I am looking at 9 hours, plus the 1 hour bump and 3 hour rest, I am looking at 13 hours from first fire. If I want to serve at 5, I will start the pit, in theory at 4am.

Reality, I start the pit pretty reliably at 8am. So I run at 300F to 315F and still get it done.

Yelonutz: me either, but, then again, I don't drink any less
[/SIZE][/COLOR][/COLOR][SIZE=1][COLOR=DarkRed]
[COLOR=Pink]SSS[/COLOR]
[/COLOR][/SIZE]
landarc is offline   Reply With Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Thanks from: --->
Old 03-05-2013, 06:28 AM   #5
ButtBurner
Babbling Farker

thanks. the one I just cooked was a small packer, about 8 1/2lb before trimming, it only took about 8-9 hrs at 260f

I will work on timing, so I have a better feel once we do throw a party. Our parties arent very big so I could just do one or 2 small ones like this. i think it will be fine

Old 03-05-2013, 07:19 AM   #6
dwfisk
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Dave

I don't know if it will help you but I have exactly the same issue for a friends & family cook for +60 coming up in mid-March and don't want to do an all-nighter and be wasted before the party starts. So, I've done a lot of reading on hot-n-fast cooking and did a test fast cook last weekend, here is the link.

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...d.php?t=155341

Bottom line, started fire at 8:00, brisket on at 9:00, really good eats at 5:00. I think I can adjust the ribs, chicken & butt to work fine on this schedule.

My best advice, especially if you have a couple months is get some test/practice cooks in.

2 members found this post helpful.
Old 03-05-2013, 09:50 AM   #7
Bludawg

I cook mine at 300 & wrap in in BP after 4 hrs on the pit they are probe tender in about 2 hrs or less. Then a rest period letting the temp ride down to 150. Example I cooked a 14 lb packer last Friday it was on the pit at 8 am wrapped at 12 and probe tender at 2:30. I let it rest still wrapped in the BP until it rode down to 150 IT over 2 hrs it was ready to serve. That is 8 hrs total

Old 03-05-2013, 10:10 AM   #8
Royalslover
Full Fledged Farker

I'm no expert but I agree with the buffer zone. I try to leave a 3 to 4 hour time between done and time to eat. There's nothing worse than waiting for the food and it will cooler for a long time.
Royalslover is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-05-2013, 10:18 AM   #9
JS-TX
is Blowin Smoke!

I either get up really early and get it done @ 275* or just stay up late 1-2am and get it started at about the same temp and just plan for it to be done by 11am or so and keep it warm in a cooler for 4-5 hours. This worked for me a few weeks ago.

Or go hot n fast and let it rest on the counter like BD does. I would practice whatever method you decide so you can get an idea for doneness and timing etc.. I also believe a good rest is important for a good brisket.
JS-TX is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-05-2013, 11:36 AM   #10
ButtBurner
Babbling Farker

thanks men!!!

Looks like I will have some to practice on.

I brought in some leftovers from Saturdays cook to work just now. Word got around about it now I have people wanting to pay me to make them brisket!

I am taking a few guys to Rest Depot next week and am going to pick out some for them.

So it will be good to get my timing and such down...

Old 03-05-2013, 11:36 AM   #11
dwfisk
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bludawg View Post
I cook mine at 300 & wrap in in BP after 4 hrs on the pit they are probe tender in about 2 hrs or less. Then a rest period letting the temp ride down to 150. Example I cooked a 14 lb packer last Friday it was on the pit at 8 am wrapped at 12 and probe tender at 2:30. I let it rest still wrapped in the BP until it rode down to 150 IT over 2 hrs it was ready to serve. That is 8 hrs total
I've become an advocate for this method after +20 years of traditional low & slow. Anybody have any insight on how this kind of cook would work on a butt?

Old 03-05-2013, 11:43 AM   #12
landarc

I would rather do one 16 pound packer than two 8 pounders. Larger meat cooks better.

Yelonutz: me either, but, then again, I don't drink any less
[/SIZE][/COLOR][/COLOR][SIZE=1][COLOR=DarkRed]
[COLOR=Pink]SSS[/COLOR]
[/COLOR][/SIZE]
landarc is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-05-2013, 11:43 AM   #13
Riz58
On the road to being a farker

I have a different approach to parties. I would cook the brisket my usual way (low and slow) the weekend before the party. After it is ready (probe tender, rested) I put it in the refrigerator to chill down.
Once cool, not cold, I pull it out, slice it, and then vacuum seal it with my seal-a-meal. I do about 1.5# per bag. I take the drippings and seal a bunch of it as well.
On party day, I pull the meat out of the frig/freezer, have one or two large stock pots of boiling water going, and drop the bags into the water for about 30 minutes. At the end of that time, I pull them out, slice them open, and put the piping hot beef on the platter for serving. I drizzle them with some of the heated drippings, and it tastes like it is fresh from the smoker.
This eliminates stress on party day, gives time to correct things that might go wrong, and I am not a zombie at the party for having gotten up at 4 a.m. to start cooking!

Old 03-05-2013, 11:51 AM   #14
John Bowen
is Blowin Smoke!

One crazy thing that happened to me.

I smoked a 12 lb brisket one Sunday – we sliced and ate on it that night – nothing fancy just good smoked meat. We had a good bit left over along with the fat strained Aus Jus. I came home for lunch on Monday looking to make me a killer brisket Sammie and the fridge was bare – no brisket in sight.

When my wife cam home she told me that they had a lunch at her work and she just took the sliced brisket – tossed it in the crock pot with the Aus Jus and let it heat up on low until lunch. She said that it was gone in 15 minutes and I even had people call me to smoke them a brisket at Christmas.

I explained to my wife that in Mississippi that a man can legally beat his wife if she takes his brisket but it did not faze her.

My point is – I never would have thought reheated brisket like that would be any good but I guess it works.
John Bowen is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-05-2013, 12:04 PM   #15
Swamp Donkeyz BBQ
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bludawg View Post
What Blu said.
Swamp Donkeyz BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote