What’s This New Cowboy Lump Made With?

M

Mike W

Hi Folks
About a year ago on a camping trip and without any other options, I purchased a bag of Cowboy. I have used it before, knowing its reviews on the forums and its characteristics. However this bag was different. It smelled great and burned forever. Being tired of picking out insulation form Royal Oak I switched to this charcoal. I know just about everyone hates Cowboy, but in the last year the wood has changed and the quality control is top notch. Possibly they herd our gripes. My question is, does anybody know what kind of wood this is? It has some characteristics of Mesquite lump but way less flavor strength. The bag doesn’t list it nor does the website. It seems like a very hard South American wood. It is similar to B and B oak but I cannot tell. Again it burns forever. I know I’ll get about 50 posts on how bad this stuff is but again, it changed about a year ago. This is not the mill ends and scrap they us to use. Any advice? Thanks Mike

Attachments

• IMG-20120921-00285.jpg
    IMG-20120921-00285.jpg
    120 KB · Views: 404
That does look different. All the Cowboy I've ever used had mostly square or rectangular shapes. You would expect to find bent nails in it. :heh:

The last two bags of Cowboy I bought looked like that and burned nicely. I have no idea, it does look somewhat like the Lazzari I normally buy, it might even be the same in quality.

I believe they make the new stuff out of ACTUAL dead cowboys. The old stuff was made out of ACTUAL "lump" from live cowboys. I kid, I kid! That stuff looks pretty dang decent, I'd give that a try for sure! It reminds me of some Wicked Good I have out back right now, which is South American.....hmmmm.......

I believe they make the new stuff out of ACTUAL dead cowboys. The old stuff was made out of ACTUAL "lump" from live cowboys. I kid, I kid! That stuff looks pretty dang decent, I'd give that a try for sure! It reminds me of some Wicked Good I have out back right now, which is South American.....hmmmm.......

I did find one tiny post somewhere where a guy said it was comparable to WGL. Cowboy, having had been the worst charcoal and WGL, being one of the best it's hard to believe his opinion on this new blend but who knows? I've never had the opportunity to burn WGL. I've been using this new blend for quite some time and it is very heavy and dense.

I have a bag of Wicked Good right now, it is close, I think WG is graded better than almost any other lump, certainly of the ones I have tried.

I have a bag of Wicked Good right now, it is close, I think WG is graded better than almost any other lump, certainly of the ones I have tried.

I cant get Wicked Good down here in So Cal unless I order it. If you get bored this weekend, Pick up a bag of Cowboy and burn a small pile of both side by side and tell us how it burns?

Well, the last few bags of Royal Oak I've had have been absolute cr@p. If I didn't know better, I would've said it was Cowboy -- the old stuff anyway. That pic above is like no other Cowboy lump I have ever seen and I'm definitely going to try it. Thanks so much for posting. :thumb:

Is there a way to tell if it is an older or newer bag of Cowboy. I am willing to give it a shot again because my last couple of bags of RO have not been that impressive. Last bag of Cowboy I bought had rocks in it so I swore I would never use it again, but it seems all of the lump I can find have gone down in quality. So if I can find a new bag I would be willing to try it.

ya good to hear, as Cowboy is stocked up at just about every lowes and some Home Depot.

Is there a way to tell if it is an older or newer bag of Cowboy. I am willing to give it a shot again because my last couple of bags of RO have not been that impressive. Last bag of Cowboy I bought had rocks in it so I swore I would never use it again, but it seems all of the lump I can find have gone down in quality. So if I can find a new bag I would be willing to try it.

You should be ok it's been this way for about the last year. Feel the bag. you can feel dense chunks also the bag shows Now Longer Lasting

Attachments

• IMG-20120921-00286.jpg
    IMG-20120921-00286.jpg
    99.4 KB · Views: 369
That would have been hilarious, I would have bought it just for that.

"new" Cowboy charcoal 'now, no longer crappy!'

They haven't done anything in the way of promoting the new quality except printing now longer lasting on the bag. Most of us (99% of us) just pass it by on the shelf due to our experiences in the past.

I still hope someone can chime in on what kind of wood it is?

FYI, the nakedwiz site check the dates. Their reviews are older than the trees used for today's lump.

It's a decent resource, but outdated.

If "cowboy" has listened to all the bad reviews, and changed their process, good for them.

For what its worth, I used cowboy for the first time about 4 months ago and it looked even better than the OP's pic. It burned forever. Ive used it ever since. My only complaint is that half the bag tends broken up badly, some almost like dirt. Not sure if I can blame the manufacturer for that though.

sent from my nexus using tapatalk 2

what did we do on the crapper before smartphones?

Back