MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 03-04-2012, 08:51 PM   #1
CrackerJack from KC
Full Fledged Farker

Default Trouble Changing the Gasket on my BGE plus some Lessons Learned

Changed the gasket (to Nomex) on my BGE today. No problems getting everything off, No problems putting the gasket on. The problems all started when I tried to put it back together. I couldn't get anything to even come close to lining up. After fighting it for a couple of hours I went to the BGE website to figure out how all this goes together. Where I got my answers were from the original assembly instructional video on the website.

I got 4 things I want to share to make this easier for the next guy.

1. Noone on the Youtube videos has you take off the springs. Its real easy, all you have to do is open the lid all the way and the springs easily come off. Now that the springs are off, you can better maneuver everything.

2. The second big thing I learned is that the bands are not suppose to bottom out, the bottom band is supposed to be about a quarter inch from bottoming out, and the top band a quarter inch from the top. I basically centered both bands in the space that they go in.

3. The third thing I didn't realize was that the screws that hold my handle and and side tables all fell out, and I had to find them and put those back in. You can use a piece of tape to hold these in place while you mess with the bands. If you bought the egg new, you may have the temporary nuts to hold them on there when you put on the bands.

4. The fourth and final learning that I want to share was that nobody seemed to be using a socket set for tightening the bolts, I found it to work awesome and would recommend you use a combination of sockets and wrenches to do the job.

The best thing was taking off that spring, everything lines up well after I did that.

The one thing I would still love to see a video on is how to adjust the lid so that it perfectly opens and closes. Depending on which hinge bolt you tighten, you can drastically impact the way the dome lid opens and closes. I noticed if I overtightened them, that I could not open or close the dome, so I experimented with a lot of tightening and loosening of bolts.

Job is done, but took 3-4 hours instead of the 45 minutes I would need to do it again.
Traeger 070
Stoker
Worlds Fastest "Green" Thermapen

"Not a competition cook, just a guy who loves eating and cooking Q."
CrackerJack from KC is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-04-2012, 09:09 PM   #2
bbqbull
Watching over us.

I am thrilled you got the job done, sorry it took so long.
Thanks for your tips, got to replace my gasket if the temperature ever gets above 60 degrees here on my lge bge. I am replacing it with a nomex gasket.

"I wish my mind could forget what my eyes have seen. :shocked:"

"Heavily medicated for your protection. :doh:"

Klose Mobile Pit
Klose Owners Reccomended Pit
Cookshack Smokette
Gasser
Little Chief Smoker
Large BGE
Gifted to me my Pit Barrel Smoker :mrgreen::clap:[URL="http://www.bbq-brethren.com//www.pinterest.com/pin/create/extension/"][/URL]
bbqbull is offline   Reply With Quote