BBQ Brethren "Mongo's Birthday OPEN" Throwdown!

bigabyte

somebody shut me the fark up.
Reaction score
Our new category is...

[size=+2]"Mongo's Birthday Open!"[/size]
magical-birthday.jpg

For the Sausage Master! He's open!

...as chosen by Al Czervik, the winner of the Snags and Slaw Throwdown!

Since the time period for this category will be in the middle of the Holidays, from 12/23 through 1/1, Al Czervik wanted this to be an OPEN category in order to make entering this one easier for everyone. Besides, this way we get to see all of the great meals you all are preparing this time of year!:thumb:

Al Czervik did not just want to call this the "Open Throwdown" however, he wanted a more unique and specific name. He also didn't want to have to make it specific to any Holidays or make it seem like entries should be limited to such food.

Since Al's birthday is on December 25th, it seemed natural to declare it for his 29th birthday!

By an eerie coincidence, his birthday is not the only one during this time. My birthday is on the 26th, and I'm sure some other brethren also have birthdays during this time period. There is another certain someone who also has a birthday on the 25th (you know who you are) and I think many of us are attending that birthday party!:becky:

OK, enough explaining...GET COOKING!!!

Click here to read the rules for the BBQ Brethren Throwdown...

You may submit entries that are cooked from Friday 12/23 through Monday 1/2.

Entry pictures must be submitted by Midnight Central US Time on Monday night 1/2 (an extra day is being allowed to post your photos because of the Holiday).

By submitting entry photos to this Throwdown thread you are agreeing that you have read and understand the Throwdown Rules.

The voting will begin Tuesday 1/3 after the "Vote" thread is submitted and will run through Sunday 1/8. All votes will be public.

Don't forget, you can still enter the "Multicultural" Throwdown until Monday night 12/26 by midnight Central time.

Our next category will be decided by the winner of the "Cheese" Throwdown!

Best of luck and even better eats to all!

Should entries be posted in frontier gibberish?

Sounds like fun to me... No special rules and the voters will decide. :becky:

December 25th? Do I need to get a Baby Mongo ornament for my tree?:becky:

WOW! :shocked:

Are you and Redhot really putting up a Mongo's Birthday Tree? I'm touched and would be honored with a Baby Mongo ornament. :hug:

People will be flocking to churches everywhere to celebrate your birthday. :shocked:

Well, you and that other guy. Of course, you really were born on December 25th. :becky:

CD

Al's Surf and Turf Open Entry...

Well I guess it's only fitting that I should kick off this TD since I was the one who called it... I'll be cooking a couple meals over the holidays, but the meal planned for tonight was the most suitable for this category. My sister, BIL and nephew are staying with us until Tuesday. My daughter's BF also came over so we had a total of eight of us for dinner tonight.

I started off with about a four pound New York strip roast I picked up for $4.50 per pound. I bought it last week and ended up vacu-sucking and freezing it. I pulled it from the freezer on Tuesday to thaw in the fridge. Rubbed the roast with a homemade Czervik Montreal Steak seasoning. Notice the frosty brew and the even frostier back yard... Temp outside was in the nipply mid twenties. :tsk: This went on the Traeger at 250 with hickory for a total of about 2 hours. I pulled when it got to 124.

edit_preview.php

Dungeoness crab is always on sale this time of year so we picked up a nice two pounder. The butcher popped the top and cleaned some of it and left us with the money pieces. Notice the level of the beverage must be shrinking due to the cold...:heh:

edit_preview.php

My BIL offered to pick all the goodies from the shell and I gladly let him have at it. It must have made him very thirsty while he was constructing this nice pile... :shocked:

edit_preview.php

Costco had 13-15 count Tiger prawns that I just couldn't resist. Seasoned later with garlic, lemon herb, pepper and season salt after brushing lightly with EVOO. How does this beer keep refilling itself? :confused:

edit_preview.php

The crab and shrimp were feeling kind of lonely so we thought we'd invite some "Mongo" scallops along for the ride too... Only three of us really like them so we only picked up eleven. :rolleyes: BIL ended up cooking these on the Performer in a CI skillet with some EVOO, onion and other spices of his choosing.

edit_preview.php

What surf and turf meal would be complete with out some maple planked salmon? They were spiced up the same as the prawns. The planks would go on the gasser till they began to smoke, and then the lightly EVOO brushed fillets placed on top. :becky:

edit_preview.php

Now here's where the picture wheels came off the rails. We had the Traeger going, the Performer going, and the gasser que'd up and ready to roll. In the meantime, I had put together a shredded potato dish with garlic, cream cheese, sour cream, cheddar and assorted other spices. No meal at the Czervik's would be complete without brocolli, and to complicate matters we also made up a garlic herb cheese sauce and added the crab cleaned earlier. Suffice it to say with all the plates up in the air, all the meat on the grills, the potatos in the oven, the brocolli and creamy crab sauce on the burners, and the Silver Back Mountain Gorillas flying out of my butt at the same time, I didn't get a chance to snap any other action shots. :doh: So here we have the finished meal. I had to take the pictures in a real hurry while everyone plated up and started to chow down. The spuds are in the back, the salmon with the creamy crab sauce is on the sides and the couple scallops I was able to snag are up front on top of the prawns. They kind of get lost in the contrast.

edit_preview.php

A little closer shot...

edit_preview.php

Money shot...

edit_preview.php

I know it's kind of a mess, but I wanted to eat it before it got cold. I didn't have time to fark around much with a better layout or a nice fork shot. :tsk: Everyone was really stoked about how the meal turned out, and so was I. The beef was tasty and perfectly done, the prawns and scallops were tender and juicy, and the salmon took on just the right amount of flavor from the planks. I ended up drizzling more of the sauce on just about everything, and the potatos were enough to put me over the top. I'm still thanking the Baby Cheeses for the stretchy pants I had on. :heh:

Thanks for looking and I can't wait to see what all the rest of you are having. :thumb:

Al, I am starting to hate you for these incredible surf n turf, multi part meals! No one can beat them :-D

Back