MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Old 12-02-2011, 10:03 PM   #1
tuvok42
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Default NJ state bbq championship

I've been trying to enter the NJ BBQ Championships. I understand there is a pecking order as to who gets an invitation. Last years winners, placers and participants. I just want to get at the end of the line. None of my emails have been answered. Any ideas or am i just too early. I have to pick my vacation weeks soon.
tuvok42 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-02-2011, 10:11 PM   #2
BBQchef33
Grand Poobah and Site Admin

Name/Nickname : Phil

Jersey had 3 contests last year, all qualifers. I think only wildwood was filled with returning teams first. You can put in apps for all of them.. its mostly first come first serve. These were last years.

09/24/11
to
09/25/11Que by the Sea Seaside Heights, NJ
STATE CHAMPIONSHIPContact: Maria Maruca, PO Box 43, Seaside Heights, NJ 08751
Phone: 732-854-8000. Fax: 732-854-8002. [email protected]
KCBS Reps: RICHARD C PRESTON, GENE GOYCOCHEA Prize Money: $11000.00 CBJ Percentage: 100%Grand Champion: THREE MEN AND A BABY BACK
Results In Number of Teams: 48 High Score: 660.5714
07/29/11
to
07/30/11BBQ & Blues in the Park Mount Holly, NJ
STATE CHAMPIONSHIPContact: Kim Burkus Phone: 609-784-0591. [email protected]
KCBS Reps: DON HARWELL, DEBBY HARWELL Prize Money: $5250.00 CBJ Percentage: 96%Grand Champion: Gone Hoggin.com
Results In Number of Teams: 45 High Score: 660.5716
07/08/11
to
07/10/11New Jersey State Barbecue Championship North Wildwood, NJ
STATE CHAMPIONSHIPContact: Eric Shenkus Phone: 609-523-6565. [email protected]
KCBS Reps: GENE GOYCOCHEA, DEBBY HARWELL, DON HARWELL Prize Money: $8500.00 CBJ Percentage: 100%Grand Champion: Fat Angel BBQ
Results In Number of Teams: 66 High Score: 683.4284

CBJ with a Fuzzy Blue Hat, 18 Foot Competition Trailer, Customized Klose BYC, Custom Built Shirley built to feed our Veterans(A.K.A "Abrams"), 1 Double Barreled Lang 84, 1 Heavily Modified Bionic Bandera, 1 Custom Super Medium Stickburning Spicewine w/stoker, 2 XL BGE, 1 Mini BGE, 2 Pit Barrel Cookers, 3 WSMs, 3 Weber Kettles, an NB Hondo, A Modified Brinkman Horizontal, DCS 48" Grill, a Broilmaster P3, a Blackstone 36 and 17, a covered, pellet pooping FEC100, and our duck died. :(

News Flash:
"A mans worth is judged by the weight of his integrity "

You know your getting older when you choose your cereal for the fiber, not the toy

Smoke on KC.
WWW.BBQ-BRETHREN.COM
BBQchef33 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-03-2011, 11:37 AM   #3
Pig Headed
Babbling Farker

I think it's just too early if you're talking about Wildwood. They usually send an email to the returning teams first, and then open it up to others. You just have to keep an eye on their website. One of the returning teams usually posts something on here when they heare. I know it doesn't help with picking your vacation. I have to bid next week for vacations and it's hard sometimes because it's early. Returning comps I believe had to have their request into KCBS by Dec 1st so look on their site for those that are scheduled.

Pigheaded BBQ Team
www.pigheadedbbq.com
KCBS CBJ

Stumps Stretch (Raquel) Eagles Green.
1 -22" Weber WSM, 1 - 18"Weber WSM's
2 - 22" kettles
6x12 Haulmark Trailer
Pig Headed is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-03-2011, 01:46 PM   #4
butt head
is one Smokin' Farker

the top 2/3rd finishers from last year get first offer to return, bottom 3rd go back into lottory drawing with all new applications. jan.1st is when you can apply for an entry form.

meadow creek ts250- w/ 42 chicken cooker

Last edited by butt head; 12-03-2011 at 01:47 PM.. Reason: butthead
butt head is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-03-2011, 02:48 PM   #5
Sledneck
is one Smokin' Farker

Is wildwood that good?
The poster does not take any responsibility for any bad feelings or sense of exclusion that the reader of this post may have-whether real or imagined. Reading threads poses inherent risks. The poster of this thread would like to also remind readers to make sure they have a functional sense of humor before they visit any discussion board.[/B][/COLOR][/B]
Sledneck is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-03-2011, 05:53 PM   #6
dreed
Full Fledged Farker

Wildwood is a nice venue, the sites are a tight 20 x 20 no extra room, which for some teams require parking cars out on the streets. This can be challenging depending on when you arrive. The first year we did it it was over 100 degrees and it was on pavementIt. We did it in 2009, and I found the organizers for the most part absent throughout the weekend. We gave up our spot in 2010 opted for a different comp. However we are going to get our names on the list for this year and give it another try. It could have only improved. It's a convenient location for the MABA teams, not too far from Md, Philly, and tris-state area.

They had used postmark dates on your entry as to the pecking order. last year we had no problem getting back into it, but then decided on going to another comp.

Mt. Holly is a good comp as well, has become large, last year around 50 teams we there.

Old 12-04-2011, 09:53 AM   #7
slowerlowerbbq
Full Fledged Farker

We did Wildwood last year for the first time, it was a great time and plan to go back next year. Yes, the sites are a strict 20x20, but we made it work quite well for us with plenty of room for family and friends to hang out. The contest is in a paved parking lot, but its right on the beach (seperated by a sea wall) and this year the weather was not too hot and the breeze was awesome. I went through my old emails from last year and it looks like we got the team listing at the end of April and I think only 2 or 4 teams got left out after it was all said and done. Get your app in early and you should have no problem getting in. Good luck!
KCBS
MABA
180 CHICKEN - KEYSTONE CLASSIC BARBEQUE, HARRISBURG, PA (10/4/2014)
slowerlowerbbq is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-05-2011, 09:56 AM   #8
tuvok42
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Thanks everyone, for the info. Look for the Honey Bears at the NJBBQ Wildwood, good lord willing and the creek don't rise:)
tuvok42 is offline   Reply With Quote