MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 09-26-2011, 08:07 PM   #1
colonel00
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Default Death Dust Wings on the UDS - Thanks Mike and Oakridge BBQ

I did up some wings tonight to try out the special edition Habanero Death Dust from Oakridge BBQ. Man they were good and I truly hope this "limited edition" becomes a regular in the product line.

Following Mike's cook the other day, I let the wings marinate in EVOO and Dust for 45 minutes to an hour while I got the UDS out and running. I used lump in the UDS as I wanted to be able to ramp up the temps at the end and I threw in a few chunks of cherry wood.

Once the UDS was up and running the wings went on.

After about an hour running 200*-224* the wings were looking pretty good.

As you can tell, the skin wasn't close to done. So, all the time I was taking pics and flipping the wings I left the lid open until it got nice and hot.

I even pulled the drip pan I had been using as a quasi-diffuser. I cooked at about 375-400 until the skins looked done.

(sorry for the crappy mobile phone pics )

Overall these were mighty fine. The heat was there for sure but mellowed as we continued to stuff our faces. The skin was done just about right although I might finish them off in hot oil next time for more crisp.

Now, to be honest, there was something missing but I still cannot put my finger on it. By no means am I saying it was the rubs fault. It is just that little voice in your head that is wanting something to take these A-/B+ wings over the top. It was almost like I was wanting just a hair more sweet.

Regardless, I highly recommend this product and I fear my 2 units will go way too fast. If I wasn't leaving town I would surely place another order. Please Mike, make this an everyday product
[B][COLOR=red]WWWWFBBQADD[/COLOR][/B]
[B]0 out of 1 members found this post helpful[/B] :thumb:

“I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives.” ― Ralph Waldo Emerson
colonel00 is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->

Old 09-26-2011, 08:15 PM   #2
FamilyManBBQ
is One Chatty Farker

Nice lookin' wings!!

My order of Death Dust arrived today...can't wait to try it out!!

The wife (Katie too) was scared by all the "HOT" warning stickers...and the instructions to use gloves! Oh man, this is gonna be good
[FONT=Arial Black][FONT=Arial][B]Humphrey's Pint[/B][/FONT][/FONT], [FONT=Arial Black][FONT=Arial]Weber(Go Anywhere, Smokey Joe, "Smoker Joe", 22.5" Kettles, Gasser, Q100, Q200, (2)22.5" WSM, (1)18.5" WSM (1) 14.5" WSM, UDS (Weber lid), Rib-O-Lator. [/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Arial Black][FONT=Arial][B][COLOR=black]BLACK[/COLOR][/B] thermapen...and a [B][COLOR=yellow]YELLOW[/COLOR][/B] one too!! [/FONT][/FONT]

[FONT=Arial Black][FONT=Arial][I][B]Everything I cook is judged by SIX!![/B][/I][/FONT][/FONT]

[I][FONT=Arial][B]Daddy and Me BBQ[/B] Competition Cooking Team[/FONT][/I]
FamilyManBBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-26-2011, 08:22 PM   #3
kcmike
is One Chatty Farker

Those look great!

Try putting the rub on heavier next time. By the looks of your pic of them when they first hit the grill, I can tell you could have hit them quite a bit harder with the rub (still a lot of bare skin showing). This would make them both hotter and sweeter... potentially taking them up into the A+ category for you.

Thanks again for your business!!

[URL="https://www.oakridgebbq.com"][B][U][SIZE="3"]~ Visit Oakridge BBQ ~[/SIZE][/U][/B][/URL]

Ole Hickory CTO
26½" Weber Kettle
kcmike is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-26-2011, 08:29 PM   #4
colonel00
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by FamilyManBBQ View Post
Nice lookin' wings!!

My order of Death Dust arrived today...can't wait to try it out!!

The wife (Katie too) was scared by all the "HOT" warning stickers...and the instructions to use gloves! Oh man, this is gonna be good
Yeah, it is hot and you definitely want to be careful when handling the dust in the raw. Just the same as if you were handling actual habaneros. Just ask CaseyDog

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmike View Post
Those look great!

Try putting the rub on heavier next time. By the looks of your pic of them when they first hit the grill, I can tell you could have hit them quite a bit harder with the rub (still a lot of bare skin showing). This would make them both hotter and sweeter... potentially taking them up into the A+ category for you.
You make a very good point that I should have mentioned. After I took them out of the bag I went a little light on dusting them before going on the cooker. I was hesitant after trying the rub by itself and didn't want it to be too overbearing. I will definitely take that into consideration next time. BTW, nice marketing ploy
[B][COLOR=red]WWWWFBBQADD[/COLOR][/B]
[B]0 out of 1 members found this post helpful[/B] :thumb:

“I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives.” ― Ralph Waldo Emerson
colonel00 is offline   Reply With Quote