Rubs & Salt % , Sugar %

gotwood

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
What percent/fraction of salt do most of you typically use in your
Rib Rubs??

Sugars??

I was thinking about 1/6 of rub is salt, 1/3(2/6) sugar; which would leave 1/2 of the rub ingredients for spices/herbs/pepper

This should get you started in the right direction, bro...

Rubs Rule-Of-Thumb
8 parts of sugar
3 parts of salt
1 part of cayenne pepper
1 part (total) of all remaining ingredients

I generally read that it should be 50/50. But I do more like 60/40 for mine 60 sugar

This should get you started in the right direction, bro...

Rubs Rule-Of-Thumb
8 parts of sugar
3 parts of salt
1 part of cayenne pepper
1 part (total) of all remaining ingredients

Sounds like Alton Brown's thing. Seems like a lot of sugar???!!!

What percent/fraction of salt do most of you typically use in your
Rib Rubs??

Sugars??

I was thinking about 1/6 of rub is salt, 1/3(2/6) sugar; which would leave 1/2 of the rub ingredients for spices/herbs/pepper

If you used these ratios, how much total rub would you put on a full brisket - one cup?

My salt and sugar are about even. The question is does the total of the other ingredients outweigh either one or both?

It all depends on what you are trying to do. For pork, salt rules. For ribs, sweeter is better. For brisket, think salt/black pepper. For chicken, just get the best commercial brand you can find. :wink:

It all depends on what you are trying to do. For pork, salt rules. For ribs, sweeter is better. For brisket, think salt/black pepper. For chicken, just get the best commercial brand you can find. :wink:

todd, would that be umm, yardbird??? Man, I been trying for a while to get ahold of some, almost asked if I can buy the sample at K.C bbq store. (but then again it's been a week)

anyways thanks for the advice, I am always lookin for how to do rubs

I use 2lbs. of salt and 8 oz. of seasoned salt. Then small amounts of all the other stuff. I find it is pretty versatile. I use it on ribs, butts and brisket. I do add some extra pepper to briskets. The only thing it does not work at all on is chicken. I don't care for it on pork loins but others say it is good. I have a different brown sugar based rub I use for them.

My rub has about 1% salt and 0% sugar. I figure the sauce I use has enough sugar and salt in it.

Man I thought I hit it big time finding this thread.

Rub Attempt #2,923

Gonna Try it out tomorrow, wish me/it luck!!

Ratio 1x salt, 2x sugar, 2x spices

Sugars

2c. Turbinado Sugar
2c. Brown Sugar

Salts

1 1/2c. Table Salt
1/2c. Penzey's 4/S

Spices

1/2c. Ground Chipotle (Penzey's)
1/2c. Spanish Paprika (Tone's)
1/2c. Chili Powder (Tone's)
1/2c. Ground Black Pepper (Tone's) yeah, yeah, i know should be fresh
1/2c. Onion Powder (Tone's)
1/2c. Granulated Garlic (Tone's)
1/4c. Ground Cumin (Tone's)
1/4c. Parsley Flakes (smashed fine)
1/4c. Dry Mustard (Coleman's)
1/4c. Equal parts Cinammon/Ginger/Clove
1/4c. Cayenne-Ran out so not in tomorrows Cook

I would think that a good starting place would be equal parts of salt and sugar (by weight), and then adjust from there.

sugar002jpga.jpg

Delivery of flavors is important. In rubs, it's no secret that most of us :rolleyes: use more than one kind of pepper, and possibly more than one kind of salt, and some of us use more than one type (and grind) of sugar. Turbinado sugar handles the heat better, maple sugar gives great flavor and fine grind cane sugar blends in better. Of course some regular sugar can go in too. :biggrin:

I use lawery. If you smoke with straight hickory you dont need those fancy rub or secret rub.

Back