MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 11-19-2013, 06:48 PM   #391
Diesel Dave
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Hang in there brother, it's all coming together.
Sorry bout the GC screwin up the process so close to the end

Imperfection is beauty, madness is genius and it's better to be absolutely ridiculous than absolutely boring ― Marilyn Monroe
Diesel Dave is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-20-2013, 08:04 PM   #392
marubozo
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : Jeremy

I don't want to jinx myself, but it looks like we could open as soon as next Friday. Health inspector came this morning to collect some paperwork and to do a walkthrough. He was thrilled at how the remodel turned out and how clean everything was and said it was one of the cleanest places he sees in the area. It went so well in fact that he decided to waive all the plan review fees and everything. I guess being anal and OCD about everything paid off.

So, he said all I have to do is give him a call next week when all systems are up and running and he'll come out first thing and get the final inspection done. Amazing, because I was expecting nothing but headaches.

There are still two last snags that hopefully will be done by Friday, but could still potentially cause a delay. First, the contractor is still an idiot. He never did show up today to drop off my exhaust fan and install the kitchen door. But that may not matter. The health inspector said the smoker may still be fine even without the exhaust. So, I'm just waiting on the mechanical inspector to come out and say yes or no. If yes, screw the contractor and I'll start out without the fan and get somebody else who is more competent to install it later.

Then I just need an electrician to come and wire up the steam table and add a 20 amp outlet for the CVAP. They said it should be by the end of the week, but possibly Monday.

So that's it. Once those two items are taken care of, I'm only a phone call away from getting the license and opening for business. Of course the mechanical inspector could pitch a fit about the exhaust and snag things for another week or so, but it's the home stretch. It's almost surreal.

Doing a little private gathering tomorrow so I'm excited to get up early and smoke a handful of butts, ribs, a turkey, and some sausage.

I know many of you in the area have asked, either in here or via PM about letting you know when I do finally open, so I'll update you when I know for certain. I'm planning on doing a soft open next weekend provided things stay on track, so an official grand opening should be the following week or so.
marubozo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-20-2013, 08:12 PM   #393
peeps
somebody shut me the fark up.

How did hiring go? Got some good folks lined up?
- [B][COLOR="darkorange"]Major[/COLOR][/B] - Mini WSM (from SJS)

[B][COLOR="Blue"]Certified IMBAS MOINK Baller![/COLOR][/B] ([URL="http://bit.ly/1lr5cKx"]Certificate of Authenticity[/URL]) / [B][COLOR="Blue"]Join the fun in the [URL="http://bit.ly/1ew3H57"]Throwdowns[/URL]![/COLOR][/B]
peeps is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-20-2013, 08:20 PM   #394
marubozo
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by peeps View Post
How did hiring go? Got some good folks lined up?
Eh, it is what it is. A constant stream of convicted felons and people who have absolutely no restaurant experience, and those who refuse to work weekends. I've got one cashier that I'm going to hire for sure. She's awesome. An older lady who has lived here for decades, knows everybody in town, is active with the chamber of commerce, and volunteers regularly at one of the food pantries in town. She also has an extensive catering background when she used to work at the hospitality department of Notre Dame. I think she's going to be my rock star, but I still need to find a second cashier since I can't work this lady 60 hours a week.

And then I have two promising interviews with cooks tomorrow. One was previously a line cook at Ruth's Chris and spent two years at another BBQ place, and the other spent five years at one of the local resorts as sous chef. As long as they actually show up I have a feeling at least one of them will be a good fit.

Push comes to shove, I'll move forward with just one cashier and one cook to get the doors open. My wife is off work for the next three weeks so she said she will pitch in up front if need be, and my father in-law said he would help out in the kitchen if I need.

I don't care what it takes, I'm not going to let this venture get delayed any longer. I've gone 11 months without a paycheck now and it's starting to take its toll.

Old 11-20-2013, 08:25 PM   #395
peeps

Well, best of luck to ya! Hope the cook interviews go well and treat that ol' cashier good....she should like a winner and a good way to bring in business since she knows everyone!
- [B][COLOR="darkorange"]Major[/COLOR][/B] - Mini WSM (from SJS)

[B][COLOR="Blue"]Certified IMBAS MOINK Baller![/COLOR][/B] ([URL="http://bit.ly/1lr5cKx"]Certificate of Authenticity[/URL]) / [B][COLOR="Blue"]Join the fun in the [URL="http://bit.ly/1ew3H57"]Throwdowns[/URL]![/COLOR][/B]
peeps is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-20-2013, 08:28 PM   #396
dport7
is Blowin Smoke!

Hang in there, it's gonna happen, You'll make it happen, just reading what you've been trough tells me that.

Old 11-20-2013, 08:34 PM   #397
landarc

the headaches actually come when you are hiring, the rest was cake.

Yelonutz: me either, but, then again, I don't drink any less
[/SIZE][/COLOR][/COLOR][SIZE=1][COLOR=DarkRed]
[COLOR=Pink]SSS[/COLOR]
[/COLOR][/SIZE]
landarc is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-20-2013, 08:35 PM   #398
marubozo
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by landarc View Post
the headaches actually come when you are hiring, the rest was cake.
Tell me about it!

Old 11-20-2013, 08:55 PM   #399
Pyle's BBQ
Babbling Farker

Do you have a web site or Facebook page yet?

Yoder YS640; Good-One "Trail Boss" 60T; Weber Kettle rotisserie ring; Big A$$ Rotisserie; New Braunfels offset smoker; Weber Smokey Mountain; Backyard Bombers BBQ HJM

Μολν λαβέ
Pyle's BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-20-2013, 09:01 PM   #400
marubozo
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyle's BBQ View Post
Do you have a web site or Facebook page yet?
Indeed I do. Here's FB: https://www.facebook.com/PrizedPigBBQ

Web site is http://www.prizedpigbbq.com

It's just a placeholder site right now, but I've got the full site, plus mobile sites, all designed and about 99% ready to launch. Just waiting to finalize the menu prices and open to the public date before switching it over.

Thanks from: --->
Old 11-20-2013, 09:13 PM   #401
Pyle's BBQ
Babbling Farker

Just so you know, Michigan is spelled wrong in your description, on the web page.

Yoder YS640; Good-One "Trail Boss" 60T; Weber Kettle rotisserie ring; Big A$$ Rotisserie; New Braunfels offset smoker; Weber Smokey Mountain; Backyard Bombers BBQ HJM

Μολν λαβέ
Pyle's BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-20-2013, 09:19 PM   #402
marubozo
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyle's BBQ View Post
Just so you know, Michigan is spelled wrong in your description, on the web page.
Hmm, are you referring to the term "Michiana"? If so, since we're right on the border of Indiana, people call this region Michiana. It's kind of lame, but I've had to adapt over the years. :(

Thanks from:--->
Old 11-21-2013, 02:34 AM   #403
sliding_billy

Name/Nickname : )

Can't wait to see the full web site.
sliding_billy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-21-2013, 04:52 AM   #404
Diesel Dave
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Real glad to hear all's going so well.

Will the Brethren be notified of the soft opening?
I'm seriously waiting to try out you Q

Imperfection is beauty, madness is genius and it's better to be absolutely ridiculous than absolutely boring ― Marilyn Monroe
Diesel Dave is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-21-2013, 05:46 AM   #405
Hawg Father of Seoul
is One Chatty Farker

Maybe I missed it, but what are you doing for flavors?

This is que talk baby and you know how we are.
Hawg Father of Seoul is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->