MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 10-12-2013, 09:48 PM   #1
Matt140
Got Wood.

Default Need ideas for my smoker

One of my customers was tech school welding department. So I was telling the welding instructor about my project I was going to build and he told me I should bring it in and let the kids work on it. Free labor.... Why not. Well I think the way they connected the tanks to the fire box is keeping it from getting a good draft to my smoke stacks. I am not getting enough heat to the tanks. And even with the heat damper taken off and large holes left in the door as soon as I close the door it kills the fire.

Any ides???

Think it would help if I had pipes coming out closer to the top of the box angled into the tanks?
Matt140 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-13-2013, 06:01 AM   #2
ebijack
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : tom

Too much restriction with that T pipe, I'm not surprised you can not get enough heat. If it was me, I'd cut that out of there, make 2 separate fire boxes, one for each tank, you should be able to use the firebox you have now and turn it into 2. Those tanks are large and take a lot to heat up, which means they need a lot of flow. IMHO
ebijack is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-13-2013, 06:36 AM   #3
RT
Full Fledged Farker

No expert but it looks like your stacks may be to small to create the draft you need.
RT is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-13-2013, 08:08 AM   #4
poppa smoke
Knows what a fatty is.

Interesting design but your airflow is restricted by not enough exhaust try adding another set of stacks on the fire box end of your cook chambers. This should open up the restriction caused by the t pipe. Good luck
poppa smoke is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-13-2013, 08:56 AM   #5
J-Rod
is One Chatty Farker

Agreed the T-pipe looks crazy restrictive. If it were me I'd lose it and graft in steel plate around that whole area to make a plenum to the cook chambers. That said, not sure if the firebox is large enough to fuel both chambers. There's a calculator for that(do a search here). And more exhaust is better than less, control the fire at the intake side. JMO

Old 10-13-2013, 09:18 AM   #6
Matt140
Got Wood.

The wood stove is pretty big. However I hardly ever use both sides for smoking. Both sides are set up so I can grill, so I'm thinking about just putting heat from the box to one side. I like the plenum idea. I guess I could make two different intakes and make them so I can close one or the other. It did have larger exhaust pipes, but they came out of the tanks very low at the back of the tank with 90* elbows. I have them capped off and can still use them, but it really didn't make much difference when I put the tall stacks on.

Old 10-13-2013, 09:23 AM   #7
Bludawg
somebody shut me the fark up.

The fire box is 1/2 the size it need to be to supply both sides at once
The inlet from the fire box should be a min 8" going to each side in a straight line No 90's
The stacks are to small should be 5-6 dai and a foot shorter
Google "Feldon Pit Calculator" and plug in the numbers I bet I aint far off

Old 10-13-2013, 10:13 AM   #8
J-Rod
is One Chatty Farker

Re: exhaust exiting low- many good offsets have their exhausts mounted at about center on the end of the chamber with a 90* elbow, opposite end of firebox. This keeps heat and smoke at grate level where the grub is.
Agree with dawg those ex. pipes look too small and too long. Make em bigger, fix that firebox inlet and you'll be cookin with smoke!

Old 10-13-2013, 10:18 AM   #9
Matt140
Got Wood.

Not too far off at all Bludawg... Fire box is plenty big enough for one tank but not both. So I'm going to feed just one. The other tank just gets used for storage anyways.

Old 10-13-2013, 10:22 AM   #10
SmittyJonz
somebody shut me the fark up.

Ya dedicate firebox to one side at a 45* and fatter exhaust and make a fire basket or grate for the second -inside it for grilling

Old 10-13-2013, 10:25 AM   #11
Matt140
Got Wood.

Thanks guys. I'm getting exited knowing now that I might actually get it to work. I have it for years and it has turned into a charcoal grill.

Old 10-13-2013, 10:45 AM   #12
Matt140
Got Wood.

I folded up a fire tray yesterday out of one of my old rusted grates from the side I never use. Came out ok.

Old 10-13-2013, 10:45 AM   #13
Matt140
Got Wood.

Old 10-13-2013, 11:08 AM   #14
Zin
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by RT View Post
No expert but it looks like your stacks may be to small to create the draft you need.
+1, stacks are way to small.
Zin is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-13-2013, 11:56 AM   #15
Matt140
Got Wood.

Ill be changing the stacks too. gonna pretty much redo everything.