Lump Disappointment

JoeMal

Reaction score
My wife was at HD today and called to tell me they had TruCue lump on seasonal clearance for $3.18 a bag.

I looked it up and saw it didn't get very good reviews but I figured it was worth a shot at $3 a bag. They had about a skid worth so if it worked out, I was going to buy them out:clap2:

But the reviews were right. Campfire smell and taste is all I can say. Ruined some chicken breasts stuffed with cheddar and asparagus. I was hoping to catch a break with good results but that didn't happen.

Sad thing is... They wanted almost $8 a bag (8.8lbs bag) regular price. I wouldn't use that stuff if it were free.

I haven't had any bad experience with any brand of lump, only that the cheap stuff is small and broken up. I'd definitely give it a try for 3 bucks but maybe only on some hot dogs.:biggrin1:

"My wife was at HD today and called to tell me they had TruCue lump on seasonal clearance for $3.18 a bag."

She's a keeper! :clap2:

That sucks Joe. I guess you can stick to using it for 600 F plus self cleaning sessions. If you can't cook with it maybe you can scrub with it.

I will say the size of the chunks were large and there wasn't much small/dust in the bag. But the smoke smell and flavor were just too much for good cooking.

"My wife was at HD today and called to tell me they had TruCue lump on seasonal clearance for $3.18 a bag."

She's a keeper! :clap2:
She sure is! Putting up with me is a chore

That sucks Joe. I guess you can stick to using it for 600 F plus self cleaning sessions. If you can't cook with it maybe you can scrub with it.
That's a good idea... Thanks for the tip

It's not always easy to find, and you won't see it on sale very often, but Ozark Oak lump is excellent.

This thread got me looking for lump reviews. I found a very good one on nakedwhiz

It's worth checking out, I think i'll stick with RO...rated good on that site and it's always done me right.

Back