MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 06-18-2013, 09:47 PM   #1
bwsawman
On the road to being a farker

Default Where are all the tamale pots?

I searched all the local stores...nothing. Walmart / Target online sold out.
Nothing on ebay for 32 qt size. Only one seller on amazon but I don't want to spend $38.99 plus shipping to make a mini WSM.

Any ideas as why they are so hard to find / where I should look for one? Thanks
bwsawman is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-18-2013, 09:59 PM   #2
caseydog
somebody shut me the fark up.

The seafood boil pot I bought from Academy also fits on a Smokey Joe. The brand is Outdoor Gourmet, which is the Academy store brand. I don't recall much else specific about it.

Sorry I'm not more help, but at least that is a lead you can follow.

CD
caseydog is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-18-2013, 10:00 PM   #3
bbqchicken
is One Chatty Farker

That's too bad. Here in cali you find them everywhere. Maybe they have some at a restaurant kitchen supply store in your area.
bbqchicken is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-18-2013, 10:07 PM   #4
16Adams

I had Zero luck at Walmart target etc. but I see them all the time in large grocery stores here in Texas. Large grocery stores usually have an aisle with kitchen gadgets. IMUSA tamale pots are usually on the top shelf of this aisle.

Old 06-18-2013, 10:17 PM   #5
Tunavato
Wandering around with a bag of matchlight, looking for a match.

Default Tamale Pot

Go to the nearest Latino market. Should have some in stock but will carry more during the holidays.
Good luck.:fish2
Tunavato is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 06-18-2013, 10:28 PM   #6
dadsr4

Weber bought them all up to create a market for the 2014 Weber mini WSM?

Old 06-18-2013, 10:32 PM   #7
El Ropo
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Roger

I recently moved closer to downtown Austin, and all the grocery stores down here have Imusa 32 qt tamale pots. Some have the Vasconia in 2 styles, with and without insulated handles. The one with insulated handle is $24.99, the pots without insulation are all 19.99 all day, every day.

The closest HEB store to me has all 3 models in stock all the time. I'm finally getting ready to make a mini out of my sjs.

2016 Fuji Absolute 2.0 LE (for burning off all the great BBQ)
El Ropo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-18-2013, 11:25 PM   #8
mbshop
Babbling Farker

my asian/mexican market had a ton of them months ago. saturday they had one left ! no idea why. the ones they sell fit perfectly. about $16 .

Old 06-18-2013, 11:44 PM   #9
caseydog

Quote:
Originally Posted by 16Adams View Post
I had Zero luck at Walmart target etc. but I see them all the time in large grocery stores here in Texas. Large grocery stores usually have an aisle with kitchen gadgets. IMUSA tamale pots are usually on the top shelf of this aisle.
I have seen them in one Kroger near me. That Kroger has a farking fine jewelry store in it. Seriously, you can buy a pork butt, a gallon of milk, toilet paper, and a diamond engagement ring in one store. I'm not making this up.

CD
caseydog is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-19-2013, 06:39 AM   #10
bwsawman
On the road to being a farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadsr4 View Post
Weber bought them all up to create a market for the 2014 Weber mini WSM?
That's funny.

So, it looks like if I'm in California or Texas no problems finding a pot for $20. I'll keep looking...I really want to make a mini WSM. My daughter gave me a sjs for Father's Day so I could build my mini.

Thanks for the help.
bwsawman is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-19-2013, 06:55 AM   #11
Drh7003
Full Fledged Farker

Bayou classics also sell a tamale pot. I found a few a while back on EvilBay. The Walmarts around me have never had them, but the ones in Virginia that I have stopped at had them in May.

Old 06-19-2013, 07:19 AM   #12
FinnWolf
Found some matches.

My family has made a lot of tamales, we just use a big pot with one of those expandable vegetable steam baskets on the bottom. I mean of course a Tamale pot with the basket is the best but you work with what you can find ^_^
FinnWolf is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-19-2013, 07:30 AM   #13
J-Rod
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by caseydog View Post
I have seen them in one Kroger near me. That Kroger has a farking fine jewelry store in it. Seriously, you can buy a pork butt, a gallon of milk, toilet paper, and a diamond engagement ring in one store. I'm not making this up.

CD
That's too funny! We used to have a Murray's Auto Parts store near us that also sold jewelry. You could buy a tie rod end and a gold ring lol. More than once I've purchased some precious metals there in hopes of gaining access to "forbidden fruits". Sometimes it worked out, sometimes not.

To the OP, nothing to add as to where to find the pot, but I suggest getting one with insulated(plastic covered) handles. Makes it much easier to refuel during a cook. Good luck.

Old 06-19-2013, 07:58 AM   #14
deguerre

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwsawman View Post

That's funny.

So, it looks like if I'm in California or Texas no problems finding a pot for $20. I'll keep looking...I really want to make a mini WSM. My daughter gave me a sjs for Father's Day so I could build my mini.

Thanks for the help.
Add Memphis to that list. Tons of them to be found, just in mi barrio. Then again, about a third of my neighbors and a third of the neighborhood where I live, is Latino. Viva!
[/B][/FONT]"...In nature, there are predators. I believe the common denominator of the universe is not harmony, but chaos, hostility and murder..." Werner Herzog
deguerre is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-19-2013, 09:07 AM   #15
SmokinJohn
Babbling Farker

I went to wally world and saw the pots for 19 bucks. They fit snug in the bottom of the SJ, but the top didn't sit right.

Before I pull the trigger, can I bang the pot to make it fit, so I don't lose the ability to go back to the origianl sj, or should I look for the Vasconia?