My 1st BBQ Comp Coming Up

Mexi "Q" Tioner

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
I am entering my 1st BBQ comp this month on the 22nd and am using my Orion as my smoker. Has anyone used their "O" to cook ribs in a comp before? Im starting to get a lil intimidated knowing that alot of the teams there will have their smokers/rig that usually take 4-5 hour to smoke their ribs while mine will be done in 1hr 15-1hr 30min. By competition standards they dont want meat that falls off the bone, if it does its considered overcooked. The judges are looking for a slight tug with a clean bite & I'm afraid that with me using the "O", one bite and all the meat will just fall off. What I did try this past weekend was cook them in the "O" for the time it calls for, remove them and wrap them in foil for about 30 min and then toss them back on the grill for about 10-15 to tighten them up/glaze the sauce. Has anyone had any luck doing ribs in a comp or any advice as to what I can/could do? Thanks again.

Link to an Orion 101 Cooker

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-RNNP2sLTOE"]Orion Cooker Overview - Full Version - YouTube[/ame]

Link to BBQ Comp

http://www.blazinhog.com/

I've never used it in a comp but I do have an Orion cooker. You have a pretty good plan but I would cook them around an hour or so, not the whole time then move them to a grill set up indirect. Practice,will be your friend. The most important thing is to go, compete, have a good time, and meet some people.

I've never used it in a comp but I do have an Orion cooker. You have a pretty good plan but I would cook them around an hour or so, not the whole time then move them to a grill set up indirect. Practice,will be your friend. The most important thing is to go, compete, have a good time, and meet some people.
Thanks 4uweque, I've been practicing every weekend and Im sure my family is sick of ribs til next summer...lol I will try the hour method and then move to indirect...see how that turns out.

Not sanctioned that I can see, and they're not defining the perfectly tender rib. If not, it's left up to the individual judge as to their individual preference. Judges, averages being averages, are just average folks. As they're unlikely to be CBJ's in any sanctioning body, I'd cook to the average persons expectations. That said, I'd over-cook them. I'd have them right to where they're ready to fall off the bone. If BB's, give them 6 individual pieces, 2 bones each. Allow them to pull it apart, MBN or GBA style. If they're right at falling off the bone, they'll firm up a tad when in the clam shell. Put them in as hot as you can.

What you read here about the bite-through rib is largely a KCBS or KCBSesque definition. Dont expect that at a regular unsanctioned comp.

Not sanctioned that I can see, and they're not defining the perfectly tender rib. If not, it's left up to the individual judge as to their individual preference. Judges, averages being averages, are just average folks. As they're unlikely to be CBJ's in any sanctioning body, I'd cook to the average persons expectations. That said, I'd over-cook them. I'd have them right to where they're ready to fall off the bone. If BB's, give them 6 individual pieces, 2 bones each. Allow them to pull it apart, MBN or GBA style. If they're right at falling off the bone, they'll firm up a tad when in the clam shell. Put them in as hot as you can.

What you read here about the bite-through rib is largely a KCBS or KCBSesque definition. Dont expect that at a regular unsanctioned comp.

100% agree

Mexi - don't let it intimidate you. Go meet some people, share a few drinks, and have fun cooking in an awesome atmosphere. You can't beat that type of cooking atmosphere. Have fun first. Worry about how you do, second, and learn from it. It's not worth it if you're not having fun.

@Lake Dogs Thanks for looking and now knowing that its not sanctioned, I can breath a lil easier now...lol :thumb:

@thaberberger I definately will do what you said, thanks again. :thumb:

I'll post some pics/results after the 22nd :icon_cool

Back