• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

The Reverse Sear Explained & De-Mystified: Full Tutorial & Pr0n Included!

Big fan pf reverse sear here. :thumb:

Great post! :clap2:

Is there such a thing as double reverse sear? Like searing it first and then letting it cook at a lower temp til done?

If I'm understanding you correctly, that would be the old school traditional "sear first then finish indirect". The reverse sear solves the problems this method creates. Maybe read the original post from beginning to end to understand how and why this works. :rolleyes:

Great explanation Moose. The way you laid it out makes it easy to understand the process. Sometimes out of old habits, we can't see the forest for the trees. Also makes me hungry for a good tri-tip. Now to try to find one locally.

I have been doing sous vide cooking for awhile, which does this approach too. The family favorite is deep fried burgers, where I vacuum pack the burger, cook to the exact desired done-ness and then deep fry for 40 seconds to give a crispy exterior.

I will be doing reverse sear, sous vide pork chops, but with a warm smoke first. I will shoot for 150F or lower, smoking them with mesquite chips for 1 to 2 hours. Then vacuum pack and freeze. When I want a chop, I pull it out of the freezer, leave it in the bag and sous vide to the exact temperature I want. Then pull it out of the water, remove from the bag and sear it before eating. In fact, I may do this for a small party own the road. Mashed potatoes, fresh dinner rolls and smokey pork chops sounds like a good meal to me!

Reverse sear is a great way to finish your meat, regardless if you roast, sous vide, or confit you meat.

I just do not like charred meats, so the Reverse Sear comes natural to me.

I will definatley give this a go on my next grill. I guess I was already doing this on my ribs, as I would add sauce and finish on the grill. Thanks,

Nice tutorial Moose! I love the reverse sear!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I'm going to have to try this sometime. A little backwards from what I'd always thought. :wacko:

This method is especially useful for the caveman sized cuts of meat. I'm a big fan of the reverse sear. :clap:

Started doing it a few months ago, and family agrees, best i have ever done for steaks, pork chops and burgers!

This should get road mapped or become a sticky, since it is a FAQ on reverse sear.

100%

I started doing this with Tri-Tip as I wanted it smoked but to still have that flavor filled crust. I was unhappy with trying to sear then smoke as I wasn't able to consistently get good results. Meaning uneven doneness. I'm not sure who suggested it or where I picked it up from but the reverse sear Tri-Tip is consistently fabulous and I'm a convert. Made some fajitas last night doing a reverse sear with some sirloin I needed to use up. Was amazing! Great post needs to be stickied. There is no way to get better more consistent cooks that I've tried.

I have been doing sous vide cooking for awhile, which does this approach too.

Reverse sear is a great way to finish your meat, regardless if you roast, sous vide, or confit you meat.
Tatoosh, sorry, but you can't reverse sear if you cook confit or sous vide.
I love sous vise and confit, congrats, they are amazing techniques!!

I want a sous vide bath real bad....next toy!:-D

Moose, does it matter when the rest occurs? It sounds like you move it from the indirect side right over to the direct side and let it rest. Gore, with that beautiful Prime Rib, let it rest for 20 mins before moving to the direct coals.
Thanks

Back