Where to get meat?

abigphish

Reaction score
Hello BBQ Brethren,

I was wondering where you get your meats from. I typically get mine on sale when I can but mostly buy it at my local Sam’s Club. I have read all sorts of threads where people are talking about very specific cuts of meat. But, I rarely if at all read where they got that cut of wonderful meat. If you who cook in BBQ competitions, where do you get your meats?
I have been to local farmer’s markets and vegetable stands to inquire where to get local meats. I was surprised to hear that no one knew of anyone. I do not have a local butcher shop either.

I am in southern Virgina.

John:p

I get mine from either a local butcher (has the best meat), or at Sam's or Costco. I would get all of my meats from the local butcher, but sometimes Sam's or Costco has deals I just can't pass up in bulk without being a total idiot.

Bigabyte, Man I just just read that wonderful informative tutorial on beef brisket....WOW. Thanks for letting me know where you get your meat. I am still looking for a butcher that is closer than 50 miles.
Great Smoke
John

I've never had issues with meats from Sam's or Costco. Actually, I did have issues one time at Sam's but let me tell you something, they more than made up for it. I just always make sure what I am getting is Choice or better. The Angus Excel stuff at Sam's has never disappointed (except that one time which they more than made up for). So, if Sam's or Costco is an option, I would not hesitate. There are no other places I bu meat any more. When the local stores have meat on sale, if I buy some i am always, always disappointed in the quality. Their regular priced meat is just too expensive for the quality that it is in my opinion. Most chain grocery stores do not seem to carry the good stuff unless it is really marked up. Some people say the briskets at Wal-Mart can be decent if you hunt and are lucky enough to find the "good stuff"...but I don't bother and jsut get it at a place I know is always going to have something great. I don't like farking around.

I buy most of my meats at Sam's Club.
Never ever had a problem with any meat I purchased there.
The get in fresh meat 4 days a week, if I need a case of butts or something I just call them a couple days before and they treat me very very well.

Costco is good, but the butcher I use is cheaper, processes the meat at the back of the shop....you hear the bandsaws and has queue's out of the door from before they open at 04:00 until they close at 18:00...this butcher is located in (and please, I do not want to sound disparaging or racist or an idiot - I am none of these things!...in fact this is my hometown and my Parents, Brother and some Friends still live there) an area of a local town where the population is mostly Black then Asian with some East Europeans.....this suits me down to the ground.
This butcher is meeting the demands of his customer - mainly the ethnicities above and therefore I can get good meat at a good value and the cuts I want...it sounds strange, but when I compare the butchers meat to a supermarket meat, the butchers meat feels "meatier"....does that make sense?

Costco is good, but the butcher I use is cheaper, processes the meat at the back of the shop....you hear the bandsaws and has queue's out of the door from before they open at 04:00 until they close at 18:00...this butcher is located in (and please, I do not want to sound disparaging or racist or an idiot - I am none of these things!...in fact this is my hometown and my Parents, Brother and some Friends still live there) an area of a local town where the population is mostly Black then Asian with some East Europeans.....this suits me down to the ground.
This butcher is meeting the demands of his customer - mainly the ethnicities above and therefore I can get good meat at a good value and the cuts I want...it sounds strange, but when I compare the butchers meat to a supermarket meat, the butchers meat feels "meatier"....does that make sense?
The local butcher I use, which has the best meat I can find, is similar but different. This one is located in a part of town with a heavy Latino population, and has a bit of a reputation but there are worse places in town, that's for sure. The place is always packed from open to close, and if it comes from a pig, cow, chicken or lamb, you can find it there, and I mean anything.

Hello BBQ Brethren,

I was wondering where you get your meats from. I typically get mine on sale when I can but mostly buy it at my local Sam’s Club. I have read all sorts of threads where people are talking about very specific cuts of meat. But, I rarely if at all read where they got that cut of wonderful meat. If you who cook in BBQ competitions, where do you get your meats?
I have been to local farmer’s markets and vegetable stands to inquire where to get local meats. I was surprised to hear that no one knew of anyone. I do not have a local butcher shop either.

I am in southern Virgina.

John:p

There's a Restaurant Depot in Alexandria VA, and in VA Beach. Amazing deals and better quality. You'll need a business license, though. I write software, and they accepted my license.

Worth the trek to stock up.

Typically we get meat at BJs Wholesale - similar to Costco and Sams. I can get Choice grade there. I can get prime grade from my local butcher and will spring for it once in a while but its a little spendy.

My first stop is at a local BJ's Wholesale... then lurk at Wegman's for unannounced sales, then my local grocerey store (in that order of priorities).
(Haven't seen reason to have multiple memberships for similar items found elsewhere).

Costco here. Anytime I go someplace else, I'm disappointed.

Im really lucky with lots of ethnic grocery stores around. All have all different kinds of cuts. I get lots of good stuff from a halal butcher, especially lamb and goat.

More recently I have been getting fresh grass feed meats directly from the farm. Its a little more money but worth it. I have a big chest freezer so I can buy in quantity then I vacuum pack it for a long term freeze.

HE delivers raw milk to our house and all kinds of grass fed meats and free range chicken.

The grass fed meat is great but I have noticed, especially with the beef that the fat content is way low. So different cooking techniques have to be applied. For example I dont think it is possible to get grass fed prime rib cause it will have almost zero marbling.

Try hooking up with some people and chipping in on a pig or something. Works great and you will save piles of dough.

Im going in on a cow with six other people now.

Costco here. Anytime I go someplace else, I'm disappointed.

The one in Gaithersburg? I get my meds there. Place is crazy busy, and the parking is worse, although I have a system that usually gets me a spot close to the door.

The one in Gaithersburg? I get my meds there. Place is crazy busy, and the parking is worse, although I have a system that usually gets me a spot close to the door.

I head to the one in Beltsville (or Columbia). The one in Gaithersburg is a good 45 minutes from me on a good day, an hour or more with traffic. And believe me, I'd love to check out those markets you mentioned when I'm in the neighborhood for something.

I head to the one in Beltsville (or Columbia). The one in Gaithersburg is a good 45 minutes from me on a good day, an hour or more with traffic. And believe me, I'd love to check out those markets you mentioned when I'm in the neighborhood for something.

When you get a chance.

central meats

If you are anywhere close to chesapeake, VA, try Central Meats. (www.centralmeats.com ). I have not been there but In know several friends on the bbq circuit that get their comp meats from these guys and think they are great.

Brett

THIS Guy IS famous in farm raise products:

Joel Salatin, eccentric farmer and businessman extraordinaire is the proud owner of Polyface Farms in Swoope, Virginia

I get my meat from Great Lakes Butcher Supply. They always do me right. If somethings not right then they make it right and then some.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

For the big cuts, I go to Restaurant Depot. My local RD hasn't had great ribs though, and I've been getting better at BJ's. For special occasions and special cuts, it''s the local butcher, but he's very pricey!

Back