MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Old 09-01-2010, 01:15 PM   #1
Zombie Barbecue
Knows what a fatty is.

Default Competition Brisket Turn In

HOwdy Hoo,

We're doing our first official KCBS competition brisket at york county next weekend. Anybody have any info on locating the "money meat" part of it. Trying to get down which part is best to serve and exactly where to locate it. Also..anybody turn in burnt ends along with sliced???? any info helps or websites with guidelines. Thanks. gonna be a kicker!

Old 09-01-2010, 01:18 PM   #2
Sledneck
is one Smokin' Farker

I dont know about "money meat" on a brisket but I get my slices from the middle of the flat. I only turn in burnt if they are as good or better than the slices
The poster does not take any responsibility for any bad feelings or sense of exclusion that the reader of this post may have-whether real or imagined. Reading threads poses inherent risks. The poster of this thread would like to also remind readers to make sure they have a functional sense of humor before they visit any discussion board.[/B][/COLOR][/B]
Sledneck is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-01-2010, 01:46 PM   #3
RobKC
is one Smokin' Farker

I take a slice out of the middle of the flat to test. If it's good, then I start slicing toward the point end. Every now and then the slices opposite the point end are better. I do slice the entire flat before boxing, something I didn't do last year. More than once I left the best meat on the cutting board.

I almost always turn in burnt ends. More often than not they will improve my entry.

Old 09-01-2010, 02:21 PM   #4
Zombie Barbecue
Knows what a fatty is.

sorry I misspoke about "money meat" of a brisket. Just wondering about which area of the flat is most appealing to the judges and whether adding burnts ends as well helps your entry. Just to be clear, you can turn in both slices and burnt ends correct?

Old 09-01-2010, 02:27 PM   #5
Harbormaster
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : Clark

I trim my flat so that it is just wider than a turn in box before cooking it, that way slices are the perfect size to fill the box. My slices come out of the middle of the flat as well.
I also "cube" some of the point (faux burnt ends) and include with the slices. Scores pretty well.
Brinkman Cimmaron.
"For when democracy becomes tyranny, those of us with rifles still get to vote"
Harbormaster is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-01-2010, 02:39 PM   #6
Lake Dogs
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Hance

Saw something turned in a little while back that scored well. Rather than burnt ends
with the sliced, they pulled the portion that you'd normally make burnt ends with and
presented the slices with pulled beef. If I recall correctly, they got 1st or 2nd in
brisket.
Was Lang 84DX, now Bubba Grills 250R and many Weber grills
Lake Dogs is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 09-01-2010, 03:01 PM   #7
KnucklHed BBQ
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Head KnucklHed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harbormaster View Post
I trim my flat so that it is just wider than a turn in box before cooking it, that way slices are the perfect size to fill the box.
^^^^ yup!! Makes for a nice presentation!
KnucklHed BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-01-2010, 03:25 PM   #8
HawgNationBBQ
Take a breath!

Zombie,

We will be there also. Make sure you swing by and have some spirits. We tend to go through a lot.

Good luck with you brisket. You guys sound pumped.
[COLOR=black][COLOR=blue][B]-[/B][/COLOR][/COLOR][COLOR=black][COLOR=blue][B]- Backwoods Competitor[/B][/COLOR]
[COLOR=blue][B]-- Ugly Drum Smoker[/B][/COLOR]
[COLOR=blue][B]-- XL BGE[/B][/COLOR]
[/COLOR]
[COLOR=red][B]HAWG Nation on Twitter: [/B][/COLOR][COLOR=black][URL="http://twitter.com/HawgNationBBQ"][COLOR=#0000ff][B]@HawgNationBBQ[/B][/COLOR][/URL][/COLOR]

[URL="http://www.TheBestMeatRub.com"][B][COLOR=blue]www.TheBestMeatRub.com[/COLOR][/B][/URL]
HawgNationBBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-01-2010, 03:35 PM   #9
Zombie Barbecue
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawgsgonesmokin View Post
Zombie,

We will be there also. Make sure you swing by and have some spirits. We tend to go through a lot.

Good luck with you brisket. You guys sound pumped.

Will do fellas. lookin forward to it. best of luck to you guys as well. We'll def take a float down the whiskey river!

Old 09-01-2010, 04:19 PM   #10
monty3777
is One Chatty Farker

I tend to look at burnt ends the same way I look at the money muscle in pork. Sure, you don't have to turn it in, but why wouldn't you so long as you cooked it correctly?

Old 09-01-2010, 04:54 PM   #11
Zombie Barbecue
Knows what a fatty is.

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by monty3777 View Post
I tend to look at burnt ends the same way I look at the money muscle in pork. Sure, you don't have to turn it in, but why wouldn't you so long as you cooked it correctly?
that's how I feel. I frickin love burnt ends and I think a good looking slice of brisket and a burnt end popper for any judge is a damn fine treat. But again, this is our first comp so what do I know.

(To forum): how much do you trim down your brisket prior to smoking, do you trim all the fat off or leave a bit on one side?

Old 09-01-2010, 05:08 PM   #12
KnucklHed BBQ
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Head KnucklHed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zombie Barbecue View Post
(To forum): how much do you trim down your brisket prior to smoking, do you trim all the fat off or leave a bit on one side?
To me it depends on whether I'm doing slow & low or hot & fast... if slow, I trim more off leaving about 1/8th to 1/4". I don't like trimming away smokey fat, but I don't want to give the judges a big fat layer on the bottom either, so I leave just enought to "protect" the meat and still let it render away during the cook.
If hot & fast, I'll leave a bit more since it will usually render and I feel that I need more protection from the heat.

I have also started partially separating the flat & point before cooking, that way when I foil and separate the 2, I know exactly where to cut and they almost peel apart... so much easier! Plus you can trim some of that fat out and toss some rub in between.

With all that said, that is for cooking on the UDS and fat down. YMMV

Relax and try not to over think it!
KnucklHed BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-01-2010, 06:29 PM   #13
HawgNationBBQ
Take a breath!

I cut to 1/8 inch all over.
[COLOR=black][COLOR=blue][B]-[/B][/COLOR][/COLOR][COLOR=black][COLOR=blue][B]- Backwoods Competitor[/B][/COLOR]
[COLOR=blue][B]-- Ugly Drum Smoker[/B][/COLOR]
[COLOR=blue][B]-- XL BGE[/B][/COLOR]
[/COLOR]
[COLOR=red][B]HAWG Nation on Twitter: [/B][/COLOR][COLOR=black][URL="http://twitter.com/HawgNationBBQ"][COLOR=#0000ff][B]@HawgNationBBQ[/B][/COLOR][/URL][/COLOR]

[URL="http://www.TheBestMeatRub.com"][B][COLOR=blue]www.TheBestMeatRub.com[/COLOR][/B][/URL]
HawgNationBBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-01-2010, 06:58 PM   #14
Zombie Barbecue
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KnucklHed BBQ View Post
To me it depends on whether I'm doing slow & low or hot & fast... if slow, I trim more off leaving about 1/8th to 1/4". I don't like trimming away smokey fat, but I don't want to give the judges a big fat layer on the bottom either, so I leave just enought to "protect" the meat and still let it render away during the cook.
If hot & fast, I'll leave a bit more since it will usually render and I feel that I need more protection from the heat.

I have also started partially separating the flat & point before cooking, that way when I foil and separate the 2, I know exactly where to cut and they almost peel apart... so much easier! Plus you can trim some of that fat out and toss some rub in between.

With all that said, that is for cooking on the UDS and fat down. YMMV

Relax and try not to over think it!
I like the idea of partially separating the flat/point before. makes sense. I hear the judges are really looking for more of a beefy flavor and less of a saucy sweet for brisket. just loaded up on some Pecan, Cherry, and hickory. Pecan wood is damn near impossible to find in PA.

also, knucklhed, I just read your bit on crispy chicken, great thread and that baconaise idea, not too shabby. hopefully we'll run into each other and get to sample some baconaise shooters along with some Macallan 16 yr.

Old 09-01-2010, 07:39 PM   #15
ClayHill
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zombie Barbecue View Post
just loaded up on some Pecan, Cherry, and hickory. Pecan wood is damn near impossible to find in PA.
Aint that the truth.......and when you do find it(or think you find it) it turns out to be a box labeled pecan but is really full of oak. Needless to say I dont buy/try wood in a 40 lb box from Lancaster Co. PA anymore.
ClayHill is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
brisket, Competition